You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

• 3 months later...

Others are choosing to ignore that we in reality have performed shite most of the season even if this was a new low.

Edit- sorry thought this was the Spurs thread.

Henderson is the most promising signing we have made this summer, at least he gets into the box to be on the end of some chances from time to time, he will only improve, but not sure what kind of level he will actually reach as he does not really have any stand out qualities.

Somone said the other day he was the first and one of the only persons to defend Henderson early on.

When you look at this thread I'd say a fair few have always backed him to come good.

Its no gift its bullshit. Some people cling on to an under dog and then go on to blow their ability all out of proportion. Lucas is an average to decent player at this point so is Henderson. Mostly you don't need to spot hidden talent its self evident and everybody knows it. Braaaaaapp.

I used to think Lucas was average (not crap like a lot of people) and then Lucas' pre injury form convinced me he is a real talent, unfortunately (imho) he hasnt attained those heights again but he is performing at a reasonably high level but it wouldn't surprise me if Brendan moved for another destroyer either in Jan or the Summer.

As for Henderson, if you saw for the under 21s you would see he raw talent stand out like a man amoung boys. But I put not reaching those heights down to;

A) Playing on the right under Kenny.

Difficult to influence the game from there.

B ) Huge expectation.

Getting used to feeling like you belong at a big club especially when you arrive at a young age.

C) Defering to Gerrard.

Henderson does a lot of water carrying for Gerrard and passes responsibility to him.

With all the said, I'm surprised Rodgers tried to offload him the moment he arrived because he presses like an animal and has the ability and mobility to play one/two passing, perfect for possession footbal. Jordan always had the talent but now feels like he belongs and has freedom and confidence to express himself. My worry is the return of Gerrard by see him defer responsibility again.

I think I've already mentioned it in this thread, but my mate works as one one of our sports analysis. He has said Henderson is the hardest working player at the club, he is always with the analysis team looking at his stats and always asking what he can improve on. Henderson also comes out top in the majority of the fitness tests, don't think that surprises any of us really.

There are plenty of fair criticisms for the lad so far, which just makes the mindless abuse he's received even more galling as if the criticism was balanced I think most would agree where he needs to improve and more would see that the changes in his game should come with time and confidence. He needs backing and support, not insults.

He has been largely pushed to the periphery in the last few games and before that he did need to learn to be more decisive. But when he has been, he has impressed as he has good technique with the ball.

Not the lone voice, just one of many.

I used to think Lucas was average (not crap like a lot of people) and then Lucas' pre injury form convinced me he is a real talent, unfortunately (imho) he hasnt attained those heights again but he is performing at a reasonably high level but it wouldn't surprise me if Brendan moved for another destroyer either in Jan or the Summer.

As for Henderson, if you saw for the under 21s you would see he raw talent stand out like a man amoung boys. But I put not reaching those heights down to;

A) Playing on the right under Kenny.

Difficult to influence the game from there.

B ) Huge expectation.

Getting used to feeling like you belong at a big club especially when you arrive at a young age.

C) Defering to Gerrard.

Henderson does a lot of water carrying for Gerrard and passes responsibility to him.

With all the said, I'm surprised Rodgers tried to offload him the moment he arrived because he presses like an animal and has the ability and mobility to play one/two passing, perfect for possession footbal. Jordan always had the talent but now feels like he belongs and has freedom and confidence to express himself. My worry is the return of Gerrard by see him defer responsibility again.

I've got to be honest I don't remember writing that post but I did throw in "at this point" so I hadn't written off his potential to improve. I still stand by the fact talent is self evident, Henderson was highly highly regarded before he joined us, dalglish name checked him in his book before he became liverpool manager again, as a player he admires, he was England's young captain, his talent was never hidden same for Lucas being highly regarded. It was about stepping up to the plate Lucas stepped up and started earning his position in the first 11 which I've never really argued against until recently because though I think he was overrated and by many under rated few could deny he had earnt his position though I still don't believe he was irreplaceable. He was and potentially still is a decent player. I've always thought Henderson was a decent player but I wanted more than decent, the last few games he's stepped up that's probably because he's lost his default mode which is seek and pass to gerrard. Henderson just needs to find consistency at his current level.

The melody to that long paragraph is the little drummer boy peace on earth.

• Upvote 1

I've got to be honest I don't remember writing that post but I did throw in "at this point" so I hadn't written off his potential to improve. I still stand by the fact talent is self evident, Henderson was highly highly regarded before he joined us, dalglish name checked him in his book before he became liverpool manager again, as a player he admires, he was England's young captain, his talent was never hidden same for Lucas being highly regarded. It was about stepping up to the plate Lucas stepped up and started earning his position in the first 11 which I've never really argued against until recently because though I think he was overrated and by many under rated few could deny he had earnt his position though I still don't believe he was irreplaceable. He was and potentially still is a decent player. I've always thought Henderson was a decent player but I wanted more than decent, the last few games he's stepped up that's probably because he's lost his default mode which is seek and pass to gerrard. Henderson just needs to find consistency at his current level.

The melody to that long paragraph is the little drummer boy peace on earth.

Spot on. 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...