You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

I know everyone's panicking/ not panicking/ about that big lump Andy Carroll, and it is an interesting and valid debate.

But have we chatted much about Jordan Henderson?

I think out of all our big recruits he was the one I simply couldn't work out; how good he is, where he should play, what his strengths are, was he worth the money. Did we need him? Of all of them, I had a feeling his start this season would be one that had more than a few people scratching their heads.

Now obviously it's very early days, but I think I was bemused with good reason. It's obvious that Adam, Enrique and Downing are what they are: decent footballers who know how to play CM, LW and LB respectively.

(let's not get into the value for money thing)

But Henderson? It would seem that hardly anybody - fans, managers, the lad himself - are really clear where he should play and what his strengths are.

I recall seeing an article about our transfer recruits and he was interestingly described as being seen as "Liverpool's legs" in midfield.

And that feels quite accurate, but also a bit worrying perhaps. Because all I've seen so far is exactly that. What the hacks and stereotypers love to call "a good engine".

He can run all day. And we've had players like him before (Sissoko, Spackman, Lee, Lucas). And everyone knows my opinion about Sissoko and Lucas.

And I've seen little else. He can't really tackle. His passing seems a bit slack and unimaginative, he's not quick and he doesn't look like he'll ever be a goal threat.

And where is he playing? He was tried as a support striker of sorts against Arsenal. To dismal effect. He isn't really a right winger as you might expect one to look like either.

And no, I don't expect us to play with two "classic" old-fashioned wingers like Downing. A mix of skills and attributes is great and should be valued.

But I do worry that he is a bit of those "modern" players who has great stamina and can run all day, but doesn't really have much else that he does really well.

So where will he play? I personally would chuck him into the middle; he's more athletic than Lucas and can use that energy to boost us in CM (especially in the absence of Gerrard and with the less than athletic and pacy Adam).

But he certainly shouldn't be keeping Kuyt or Meireles out of the side; they're both miles better in advanced midfield/ attacking positions.

Now obviously it's very early days

That's pretty much where I'm at. The rest of it is accurate in so far as it goes, but it's pure conjecture that he won't offer more once he and the team have settled into some sort of rhythm.

But he certainly shouldn't be keeping Kuyt or Meireles out of the side; they're both miles better in advanced midfield/ attacking positions.

I do particularly agree with this bit though.

I dont often agree with what you say, but this time i agree.

I dont see any stand-out features in his game, he is ok at a number of aspects, but for 15-20 million you would expect to see something in his game that stands out, wether it be

Long shots, passing, tackling, crossing, link man, holding player, thought he was poor against Exeter too.

Hope him and Kenny prove me wrong.

I say to early to judge. Anyone paying attention to him at Sunderland the first 6 months of last season would understand why he's so highly rated. His form fell away towards the end of last season and he seems to have continued into the u21's and the start of this season. He's 20 years old at a new club still finding his feet. He's one for the future but is good enough to make a contribution this season

Guest TK-421

He's a midfielder who doesn't like tackling. Like, erm, wee Scholesey, ahahahah, [insert something crude and sexist here], yee beautayyyyyyy.

He looks scared stiff to me, and I'm sure Kenny is working on his confidence.

Wouldn't have bought him myself ( nothing against him - just don't think his position was essential ) & not impressed by his performances , but he seems to have all the physical tools to be a good midfield player and hopefully it will happen sooner than later.

I believe in him, I think he can become a good box to box midfielder like Gerrard was in his early days. But Kenny clearly doesn't agree, he's been playing as a winger most of the time, a decision I'm baffled with as he has nothing in his locker that would make him a top winger bar a decent cross.

Still it's early days and we'll see how it works.

I was appalled with him particularly yesterday, he seemed to not give a fuck.

I disagree there. Everything about his personality and lifestyle screams "I take this very seriously indeed" and is one of his biggest attributes.

He may not scowl and scream and cajole, but I do think he cares very much about his football.

I agree with whoever said he looked scared. He doesn't seem that confident yet. Having said that, he looks like he has a footballing brain and I thought he moved the ball well against Arsenal. He's finding his feet. It's worth giving him at least a season at the club before worrying about it, especially as he's being moved around the positions a fair bit at a club which has loads of new players trying to fit in.

Time will tell, I prefer Spearing in all honesty....

He was up against it last year when needed especially when we played Arsenal and Man City, against city he bossed it from start to finish, if hendo is supposed to be centre mid I don't see any improvement on Spearing, especially for the money.

He has all the right attributes and hes very much a rough diamond.

I think if he improves his all round game he can find a position and make it his own.

It may take 2/3 years but I think he'll eventually be a good player.

Right now though he does look a little lost, but you can see he has ability.

I think he's supposed to be playing in that twilight zone between central midfielder and right winger.

Although he's played both positions a fair bit in the past, knowing when to go and when to stay when you're not entirely either is a new skill to learn.

For some reason, its Ray Houghton he reminds me of