You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England U21 Squad

Lee909

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goalkeepers: Ben Amos (Manchester United), Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Declan Rudd (Norwich City).

Defenders: Nathan Baker (Aston Villa), Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough), Matthew Briggs (Fulham), Steven Caulker (Swansea City, loan from Tottenham), Craig Dawson (West Bromwich Albion), John Flanagan (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Martin Kelly (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Andre Wisdom (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Dan Gosling (Newcastle United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Emmanuel Frimpong (Arsenal), Henri Lansbury (Arsenal), Josh McEachran (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool).

Forwards: Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Marvin Sordell (Watford), Martyn Waghorn (Leicester City), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Connor Wickham (Sunderland).

Henderson and Kelly will be the only two to start probably.

Think Kelly will be ahead of Walker? I heard he is very high rated at right back. Spurs fans calling him the best English right back of his age but of course Spurs fans are deluded so Im just wondering.

He's a poor right back.

Ross Barkley gets a call up 3 days after making his debut?

Easy to convince these days it seems

There's really lack of quality young players in england. barkley get a call up after his debut, so does frimpong despite saying he doesnt wanna play for england and consider himself as ghanaian. It seems they are focusing way too much on status, there's alot of young championship players who gets regular football who dont get a look, if they switch team, they will be called up. Another weird one is Oxlade Chamberlain gets a call, but was never looked at when he was getting games for Southampton

There's really lack of quality young players in england. barkley get a call up after his debut, so does frimpong despite saying he doesnt wanna play for england and consider himself as ghanaian. It seems they are focusing way too much on status, there's alot of young championship players who gets regular football who dont get a look, if they switch team, they will be called up. Another weird one is Oxlade Chamberlain gets a call, but was never looked at when he was getting games for Southampton

I don't agree with your first statement at all - England have some excellent players around the 17-19yo bracket - but agree they powers-that-be focus way too much on the team you play for.

Saying that, any decent youngster worth his salt playing in the Championship, wouldn't actually be playing in the Championship. He'd be in the Prem. Any examples though? I am not so au fait with the Ch'ship.

Frimpong looks a good player, England would be stupid to let him go without a fight. But if he wants to play for Ghana, he will end up doing so.

I don't agree with your first statement at all - England have some excellent players around the 17-19yo bracket - but agree they powers-that-be focus way too much on the team you play for.

Saying that, any decent youngster worth his salt playing in the Championship, wouldn't actually be playing in the Championship. He'd be in the Prem. Any examples though? I am not so au fait with the Ch'ship.

Frimpong looks a good player, England would be stupid to let him go without a fight. But if he wants to play for Ghana, he will end up doing so.

okay so he isn't English but I bet if he was Bale wouldnt have been in the u21 squad whilst at Southampton yet some shite like Fraizer Campbell would be just cos he was at Scum at the time

and what have the likes of Ben Amos done to warrant a place that the likes of Jason Steele and Alex Mccarthy in the Championship haven't

okay so he isn't English but I bet if he was Bale wouldnt have been in the u21 squad whilst at Southampton yet some shite like Fraizer Campbell would be just cos he was at Scum at the time

and what have the likes of Ben Amos done to warrant a place that the likes of Jason Steele and Alex Mccarthy in the Championship haven't

Some of those players - maybe Amos - would have come through the England ranks; U15, U16, U17 etc. Once you're in the system in junior sport, it's sometimes harder to get out! Happens in all sports in all countries, mind.

But in short, to answer your last question, I have no idea. And I agree with your first point - sometimes it's more about who you play for than how you play. But ultimately - at senior level - the wheat will get sorted from the chaff and it makes no odds being picked for U21s.

Ross Barkley gets a call up 3 days after making his debut?

Easy to convince these days it seems

Snodin was in good form in the Echo tonight, saying that we should not put too much pressure on Barkley & then in the next paragraph said he would bet on Barkley getting a full cap within 2 years !!!

Cleverley in the full squad though? Wellbeck? Fuck off

It's absolutely shocking that Wellbeck has already played for Englands full team (scored I think?) as he's looked like a terrible player when I've seen him, apart from Monday against Spurs when he played really well. But because of who he plays for he would have been selected even if he hadn't played on Monday, I believe anyway.

Cleverley I know very little about and have seen play once, maybe twice. But considering how he's only just come on the scene (I know he made his debut years ago) and made any sort of claim to a place in their team, it's really silly that he's selected for England.

But, may I add that I'm really happy for this to happen, and hope they play and hold onto their places ahead of say Carroll and Henderson. Not on merit of course, but because of their club. Long may it continue...

It's absolutely shocking that Wellbeck has already played for Englands full team (scored I think?) as he's looked like a terrible player when I've seen him, apart from Monday against Spurs when he played really well. But because of who he plays for he would have been selected even if he hadn't played on Monday, I believe anyway.

Cleverley I know very little about and have seen play once, maybe twice. But considering how he's only just come on the scene (I know he made his debut years ago) and made any sort of claim to a place in their team, it's really silly that he's selected for England.

But, may I add that I'm really happy for this to happen, and hope they play and hold onto their places ahead of say Carroll and Henderson. Not on merit of course, but because of their club. Long may it continue...

Cleverley's played a full season for Wigan (and been excellent). The fact he's starting for United only adds to his case.

Seen a fair bit of him, and the lad's class. The Manc twunt.