You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Meireles

El Rojo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt he is a good player but the fact remains KK bought Adam to play a role in midfield and Lucus is the only one in the midfield who is defensive happy to sit and hold so we have Meirales Spearing Aquilani Henderson and Gerrard seeing as it is KK who picks the team i can see Adam being a regular in the side Gerrard will also be a regular likewise Downing will be on one flank or the othe,r so it looks like it is the bench at best for Him.

Just now he is a very valuable asset but his value will go down if he is a bench warmer for a season and a year older neither of them (him or Aqualani) are the answer long term so its is just a question of is it more valuable to the team to have him on the bench for a season as an impact sub or is it better to save his wage and bring in his fee along with Cole and Aqualani put that lot all together and replace the three with one world class player next season so its not as simple as is he a good player or not, start or bench.

As to the gesture it doesnt matter who it was aimed at its not what we want to see from a player in a Liverpool shirt so he needs to have a word with himself about that life on TV all over the globe it took the shine of a great day which was a pitty because he really is a good player

I dont know what the score is with money at the club if were ok then i would like to keep him but if keeping an extra midfielder means we cant bring in a striker then i would rather have the striker or CD it would be great to have all three but only those at the club know the score on that front and that is my take on

But apparently he doesn't smash into tackles enough, so we are supposed to get rid.

Ala Lucas? he only bundles into the back of players, gives needless free kicks away at the edge of our box and half hearted track backs when he gives the ball away or plays another hospital ball, he seems to be like marmite on here!!

Ala Lucas? he only bundles into the back of players

Am pretty much fine with Lucas now, but damn it does my head in when he does that. The worst thing is that you can see it happening about 3 seconds before he runs into the players legs. Baffles me every time because if he actually ran faster and went for the ball he could probably get it.

Just saying anyway, confuses the hell out of me.

I didn't see the match mate because Im at a fucking hypnobirthing weekend. I seen a brief high light of the goal and that was my first thought. And I will reiterate, if that was towards the bench he needs to go.

Really? What if Kenny was rubbing his hands at him?

I thought he was giving the finger to the arse fans at first. Can't imagine him giving it to Kenny. If he goes I hope it's for the right reasons though and not because we're seeing our arse about giving him a payrise as was reportedly agreed upon when he signed.

Quality player, there is a reason why he is an ever present for Portugal. Best piece of business Hodgson did by a mile, we need classy options on the squad and he is way down the list of players we should be looking to offload.

I think you mean Cecil. Hodge quipped, when we signed him, that he'd never seen him play and didn't know what position he was. Laughable. Or cryable.

I hope that both Meireles and Aquilani gets their chance. IMO a midfield diamond of Meireles Aquilani with Lucas in the anchor will out-pass most teams. Doesn't matter if we play wingers or wingbacks

I like the look of Adams so far, but Meireles and Aquilani fits more to the pass and move ethos. Henderson has been poor IMO so far

I hope that both Meireles and Aquilani gets their chance. IMO a midfield diamond of Meireles Aquilani with Lucas in the anchor will out-pass most teams. Doesn't matter if we play wingers or wingbacks

I like the look of Adams so far, but Meireles and Aquilani fits more to the pass and move ethos. Henderson has been poor IMO so far

Sorry... but all Henderson haters are getting the neg-rape. He's was excellent v Arsenal.

Sorry... but all Henderson haters are getting the neg-rape. He's was excellent v Arsenal.

I agree. His game will mature over the course of the season. I am guessing he might be a bit starstruck in a bigger and better team. He definitely has all the right attributes to be a very good player.

Raul is a quality player and is excellent and what he does. He is a creative player and also makes some excellent advancing runs. IMO Lucas (although much improved) and Kuyt seem to play a role that they are not excellent at yet are not surplus to requirements. Both would be easily sold however so why is the talk that it should be Raul ahead of them?

If the owners are looking to trim the wage bill then you get rid of people that offer nothing are are not needed. I don't see how Raul can fall into that category. Just because Henderson and Adam were bought, they have yet to show that they are going to be better than Raul.

If we can't get rid of the deadwood then fair enough but it is madness to sell a good player just to balance the books. Why on earth spunk 35m on imo an overrated Carroll and then penny pinch over 5-10m in wages.

Raul fits into the team well and offers something that others don't. I will be really pissed off if he goes. If he was partnered with Suarez and we had have gone for a back up to Suarez instead of buying Carroll we could have saved ourselves a lot of money and looked a more cohesive team.

I hope I am proved wrong but I just can't see Carroll being successful. He is too slow, his touch at times is very poor and for a big man he really doesn't compete smartly enough aerially like other imposing strikers.

I hope Kenny is big enough to drop him soon IF it needs to be done. I am sure he will but let's hope it never comes to that and Carroll starts to fit in to the way we are playing. I just see him being a focal point when he is on and our play isn't pass and move like when he is not on the pitch.

It's funny as I think Carroll is a good player and is suited to a team like Newcastle where he was idolised and was from the area. There wasn't too much pressure for him there either. He then gets a 35m price tag and the pressure is on as he has moved to the next step, a step I don't thin he is capable of taking. I feel sorry for the lad really.

I still think he is a better choice than Adam, not having a go at Adam, I just think Raul adds the missing direction to link the mid and the strikers, yes, when Stevie is back he will do that, however, how long can he stay fit ?

Letting him go (more so to the chavs, he will link with To**es better than fatty Lampard) would be a far bigger loss than a 10m gain, who for 10m can we buy to give the same quality Raul does ?

Let Aqua go, keep Raul.

The Arsenal versus Liverpool match?

Oh give over. He is £15m wasted and adds nothing to what we already had. I'm not having a go at him as he is what he is but the business we have done in buying him is shocking. Had previous managers and owners bought him there'd be more of an outcry.

Not logged in for a while but this thread has prompted me. If we get rid of Meireles then it would signal we are not serious about our ambitions. he is a very clever technical player able to play of both feet, deft of touch and has a terry mac quality for getting forward on the blind side of defenses.

He is exactly the sort of player we need to hang onto. Henderson will learn a lot from him too if he ever develops that sort of instinct. Gerrard replacement...no. Keep Raul he will prove more valuable in the long run..