You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Solar panels

Tossed and blown

The key point in that article is 'at this time of year'.

Yep, it'll change though if we invest in it properly. Two big things needed are better conversion rates from solar panels and the ability to store the energy, (so grids aren't getting overloaded. The grids need better tech as well, which is also happening with the implementation of smart grids.) and they're both being worked on and improving regularly. If that's sorted out enough and there's a good enough amount of solar panels across the country, it could eventually help a lot all year round. In a few years or even less this seems highly likely to become obvious anyway.

I admire your optimism in Smart Grids, I think smarter grids is nearer to the truth. A true Smart grid can only be built from scratch - unless there's billions floating about. I've just picked up a project funded by LCNF in Tower Hamlets, should be interesting. Or not.

I admire your optimism in Smart Grids, I think smarter grids is nearer to the truth. A true Smart grid can only be built from scratch - unless there's billions floating about. I've just picked up a project funded by LCNF in Tower Hamlets, should be interesting. Or not.

Yeah it does seem to be a more complicated thing, which is maybe something for a little bit further into the future. Unless they're being built from scratch like you said. The ability for houses and businesses to store solar energy seems like more of a priority for the time being.

Rico, whilst you're taking a break from freezing the poor to death, and sorting shit out, fill me in on this green deal bullshit mate. I've had someone put me onto it for a boiler upgrade, solar panels and all that shit. As far as I can see they do the work, the cost works as a loan and it's paid by the savings you make on your energy bills.

Fill me in you gassy cunt.

Yes, it's a pretty good deal. The 'loan' is paid back out of the savings you make on your energy through your elec bill. The only downside is the £100 you might have to pay for an assessment. MoneySavingexpert has some good impartial advice. Basically your bills reduce, but that saving pays off the loan and once it's paid back you get the benefit and have all the new kit.

The only worry is how it could effect your house price in the future but shouldn't be a big issue.

For reasons that I dont understand, or havent paid attention to, the green deal isnt 'yet' available in Scotland.

I really do like the idea of harnessing energy this way but given the upfront expenses involved when, for me, there still remain too many uncertainties about the returns I didnt go any further than my initial enquiries.

I hadnt thought of asking Simon's advice

• 4 years later...

Our city started a really brilliant way for the average homeowner to invest in solar energy.

Rather than try to convince people to install the panels on their own, they are building their own solar farms on city property, and residents can buy panels that are connected to the city grid. You make back your money in reduced bills or even selling back power to the city (if you bought enough panels).

No need to do any work, or install any panels on your own....I think it's quite genius.

• Upvote 1