You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Sleeping Thread

Section_31

My sleep has got worse with age. I generally get between six and seven hours a night which never feels enough. various things contribute to this. Firstly, my eyes are exceptionally sensitive to light and the slightest bit will wake me. I really need o invest in shutters as curtains - even black out blinds - don't work. The second thing that roused me is the need for a piss and nothing can stop this need, including a complete absence of liquids for hours before bed. I always need a burst at some point from six onwards. Another problem is that my brain kicks in very quickly upon being disturbed and I can't get back off unless it's literally the middle of the night. Doing shift work at McDonald's into my early twenties fucked my sleep up big time, too.

One thing that helped was getting a Tempur matress. It stops me tossing and turning so much and therefore waking with a bad back. However, I think basically my problem is that I'm a creature of habit who can't switch his brain off. It takes me weeks into the summer holidays to calm it down. Also, booze and other things actually make my sleep worse rather than better.

I find it very difficult to wind down most days so I usually get no more than 5 hours although I will need to have a big sleep once a week to catch up. The big sleep is no more than 9 hours as any longer would give me a massive headache. I have some very vivid dreams with the best one being about my older brother buying half a crocodile for a pet. No tail or back legs, very weird.

I am another front sleeper. Also, I had a dream last night that Danny Dyer had become a structural engineer as he was going method for his new role as the tastiest fackin engineer in Lahndahn. All his press shots involved him checking structural calculations in a pwopah nawty way.

Usually asleep by 10 on a weekday and up at 6. Infact at the weekends when I go to bed later I am still up at 6.

I only sleep on my back and have snored loud enough when on holiday the other week to wake my mum up in the next apartment with a 15 ft corridor in between. Fuck knows how Mrs FG puts up with,

I always though wake up just as I have fallen asleep with the feeling of falling. This happens at least once or twice a night. Sometimes so vividly during the night I have felt like I am falling that my body has literally jumped up in a straight horizontal line. Its a horrible feeling.

I always wake up at least once to go to the toilet too. Unless I have been on tons of coke and beer then I normally sleep through my toilet breaks.

Im a terrible sleeper. Takes about 1 or 2 hours to nod off and then wake up every couple of hours. I get that sleep paralysis thing a lot too and have incredible dreams although usually I wake up just at the high point of the dream which is hugely unsatisfactory. Like a brilliant movie with the ending missing.

I'd say I average only about 5 or 6 hours sleep for the last 10 years or so. I reckon this ongoing lack of sleep will knock years off my life sadly.

Drool like a fucker on my side as well.

• 1 year later...

I've not slept through the night, without waking up at some point, usually around 3ish, for months now. I have no idea what's causing it and I'm waking up in the morning still feeling really tired. Any thoughts on how to retrain my body not to wake through the night?

I've not slept through the night, without waking up at some point, usually around 3ish, for months now. I have no idea what's causing it and I'm waking up in the morning still feeling really tired. Any thoughts on how to retrain my body not to wake through the night?

whisky.

I haven't for about 8 years.

whisky.

I thought that was an amazingly quick response! Sadly, I dont think that's the answer. I dont like whisky and really dont sleep well after a lot (these things are all relative) of alcohol.

Next!

I haven't for about 8 years.

Any idea what happened in your case?

I have absolutely no trouble falling asleep....its just that I dont seem to be able to stay asleep

Any idea what happened in your case?

I have absolutely no trouble falling asleep....its just that I dont seem to be able to stay asleep

Yeah, I've inherited mild insomnia from my old man.

Sleep is apparently in four stages. Presumably you are rarely getting to the deep sleep bit.

You do quite a bit of exercise don't you? So I doubt its anything to do with that.

Yeah, I've inherited mild insomnia from my old man.

Sleep is apparently in four stages. Presumably you are rarely getting to the deep sleep bit.

You do quite a bit of exercise don't you? So I doubt its anything to do with that.

Although I know that I dont sleep well when I've done more exercise than usual

About five or six hours in the week and more on the weekends, but I'll often have a nap for an hour or two when I get home from work so I think a diurnal rhythm suits me best. I used to sleep a lot more when I was a drinker. Had a bit of a scare recently because I was waking up sometimes choking in my sleep and found it hard to start breathing again but since switching from smoking to vaping that's cleared up, thank fuck.

That's odd. You'd expect the opposite.

You tried yoga/meditation/asmr etc?

I havent tried anything for this...I've just been trying to make the best of it but the lack of refreshing sleep is getting a bit tedious....although I have tried asmr after a night shift but without any noticeable difference

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to1_250.gif

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to2_250.gif

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to3_250.gif

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to4_250.gif

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to5_250.gif

tumblr_lp4he9vCLg1qcyx0to6_250.gif

No recollection of this, but that's awesome.

I never get more than five or six hours of sleep any day with four cats demanding my attention at any time. I wake up every day at 4:30 without any need for an alarm.

mid-day naps are my salvation, but I realize not many can find the time for that.

I've not slept through the night' date=' without waking up at some point, usually around 3ish, for months now. I have no idea what's causing it and I'm waking up in the morning still feeling really tired. Any thoughts on how to retrain my body not to wake through the night?[/quote']

Well, I don't know what the connection is but I've just had the longest sleep I've had in months ....about 6 hours....and feel so much better for it. Thanks all.

I'll be interested to see if it has any effect tonight.