You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It seems to me that his latest outbursts of cuntishness have been of a specific type: not just the random cuntery that we have all come to know and despise, but provocative statements and acts deliberately designed to provoke cuntroversy.

I've got a (completely baseless) suspicion that the shithouse rat has got himself a new advisor, who wants to re-position the Joey Barton Brand, so that when he retires he won't simply be remembered as "that cunt" - he'll be remembered by the media as "that cunt who can be relied on for forthright and outspoken views". After all, if that woman-kicking, talent-wasting oxygen thief Collymore can get a career in the media, then why shouldn't that lovable scamp Joey?

Do you think there might be something in this, or am I just wasting time concocting cynical theories when I've got better things to do?

He's not as smart as he thinks by a long distance.

He's still pretty damn entertaining on and off the field though, and I'd rather read his tweets than the brain-injured dribblings that somebody like Rio Ferdinand offers.

He's kicked the booze I think, so I reckon he just has a lot of spare time on his hands and hence all online stuff. I very much doubt there's any PR/marketing mind behind it all.

He's not as smart as he thinks by a long distance.

He's still pretty damn entertaining on and off the field though, and I'd rather read his tweets than the brain-injured dribblings that somebody like Rio Ferdinand offers.

He's kicked the booze I think, so I reckon he just has a lot of spare time on his hands and hence all online stuff. I very much doubt there's any PR/marketing mind behind it all.

Agree with all of this. I quite enjoy his tweets mostly. (He's a massive fan of the Smiths and Joy Division so he can't be all bad.) That he feels the need to regularly quote the likes of Nietzsche on Twitter is a bit cringy but I've got time for the bloke myself.

He's definitely been a complete cunt in the past but I tend to think that these days he's nothing more than cheeky and a bit feisty. He's dead right what he said about the stamp yesterday, if that had been him there would have been uproar.

He's seen the apparent reverence which the likes of Robbie Savage and Collymore are treated in their media careers, and fancies this gig after he's done playing. With the 'he reads philosophy books dontcha know' image, he'll be cast as a fighting/unhinged man's Graeme LeSaux.

I've followed Joey Barton on twitter for several months. I've never followed Collymore. I followed Savage for about 20 minutes before unfollowing him, the drivel spouting fucktard. Not sure if this is relevant but there you go.

One of the reasons I really dislike Twitter is that a lot of people are under the misapprehension that their thoughts and views are interesting for everybody else*. When it comes to famous people, these thoughts and opinions are also made into headline news when they are far from newsworthy. Is it because people care, that they are being fed this information? Or are we being fed this information and effectively told that it's in our interest to view it as something important? I don't know. As for footballers, as long as they aren't behaving like cretinous mongs, I'm not remotely interested in what they do off the pitch.

* I'm acutely aware of the irony of me posting such a comment on here, before anyone asks.

'I'm a celebrity' - nailed on.

In fact they should just make a programme full of dangerous and/or loudmouth cunts and let them get on with it; McKenzie, McCrirrick, Barton, Jones, Neville etc etc and make it Battle Royale for gobshites.

PPV, they'd make a fortune on Merseyside alone.

In fact they should just make a programme full of dangerous and/or loudmouth cunts and let them get on with it; McKenzie, McCrirrick, Barton, Jones, Neville etc etc and make it Battle Royale for gobshites.

Would make an outstanding 'celebrity' big brother, with one subtle difference

-don't give them any food..........

' I'm a celebrity - get the machine gun turrets set up '

Don't think he did too much wrong yesterday to be fair.

Don't even think it was a foul on Song when he got stood on & while he shouldn't have got involved in the Gervinho incident , if it hadn't been Joey I don't think there would have been such a problem.

Feel a bit sorry for Gervinho. He should have had a penno & gets a 3 match ban instead.

Assuming that you're referencing the novel/film there, that's a magnificent idea. I've always said that the only thing I'm A Celebrity needs to turn it into the most compelling viewing on TV is the participants being equipped with a selection of random weaponry and an electrified fence being erected around the island.

As for Barton, he's just another example of the fact that people don't usually fit into the pigeonholes that the other people and the media like to assign to them. He's clearly capable of being a massive, massive twat but even massive twats rarely behave like that 100% of the time. He's always going to be a fiery character on the pitch, off it most of his cuntishness seems to have been triggered by drinking and that hardly makes him unique.

Seems to me it's fashionable to hate Barton. He's no angel, granted, but he doesn't seem to be the twat he used to be.

Give him time, he is looking for trouble all the time on twitter made a tit of himself last week on those comments about the I pad etc (which he later apologised for)