You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone think we're looking at centrebacks outside of England?

I don't think we looked outside of England for anyone. I'd be shocked if we even considered it.

Sad to say, and I'm really not trying to wind anyone up, but I reckon we'll sooner sign someone like James Collins or Micheal Turner than look into Europe for CB's.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we looked outside of England for anyone. I'd be shocked if we even considered it.

Sad to say, and I'm really not trying to wind anyone up, but I reckon we'll sooner sign someone like James Collins or Micheal Turner than look into Europe for CB's.

I'd love to think you were wrong.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Don't be daft.

I'm not saying we'll sign them if we can't get our targets of course, just getting the point across (though I did hear a rumor about Steven Taylor today). Those 2 are awful CB's, but maybe if we can't get the English CB's we're after, we won't get anyone at all. I genuinely don't think we'll look to Europe for alternatives, I said in June that i'd be shocked if we got any player from abroad (Doni aside) and I stand by that. We obviously have a very clear strategy of getting players from the PL.

To be honest, Per and Carra would be the slowest pairing in the league... sorta like Kyrgiakos and Carra.

The Greek is shit, bit harsh to compare him to Mertesacker. Ive hardly seen him play, but a more apt CB pairing would be Carra and Sami? In the pace department obviously.

I'm not saying we'll sign them if we can't get our targets of course, just getting the point across (though I did hear a rumor about Steven Taylor today). Those 2 are awful CB's, but maybe if we can't get the English CB's we're after, we won't get anyone at all. I genuinely don't think we'll look to Europe for alternatives, I said in June that i'd be shocked if we got any player from abroad (Doni aside) and I stand by that. We obviously have a very clear strategy of getting players from the PL.

We've been linked to a 100 players since June, Steven Taylor think about it.

If we get Cahill for £10-12m we've done well, very good player.

IMO were doing what we done with Enrique and waiting till Bolton realise they have to sell or get nothing

You need a hug.

This summer was/is clearly about filling our squad out with valuable players who can contribute to the cause; as opposed to duds like Jovanovic and Poulsen.

We've improved on those sorts of players yet saved a lot of money on wages (when we shift the shite, anyway). When we go to add expansive, flair players or highly rated players from european leagues; we will have a top level squad of players and a wage structure to be able to offer them what they want.

The likes of Poulsen and Cole are dragging us down and the sooner we can get rid of them, we can go back to being a top club.

How big is Mertesacker?

He must be as big as Sami, if so would do a lot to sort out goals conceded through set pieces.

He's 6'6" tall. He's really, really, really difficult to beat in the air, because he's always in the right spot.

He's really, really poor if you run at him, though. (better than Kyrgiakos, mind)

You need a hug.

This summer was/is clearly about filling our squad out with valuable players who can contribute to the cause; as opposed to duds like Jovanovic and Poulsen.

We've improved on those sorts of players yet saved a lot of money on wages (when we shift the shite, anyway). When we go to add expansive, flair players or highly rated players from european leagues; we will have a top level squad of players and a wage structure to be able to offer them what they want.

The likes of Poulsen and Cole are dragging us down and the sooner we can get rid of them, we can go back to being a top club.

Why do all players from abroad have to be expansive, flair or highly rated?

Its understandable that we can't afford/attract the very top players. They'll want massive wages and/or Champions League football. But there are other players abroad. Players at midtable Italian/German/Spanish clubs who would vastly improve us, and would jump at the chance of playing for one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

If the strategy if go British, fine. Time will tell if it works. But lets not pretend it was the only option.

by knoller2

Gary Cahill Update: Once again, a fee has been agreed between Bolton & Liverpool for the defender - It's now down to Liverpool and the player himself. When we receive more news, you will receive more news. Please #ReTweet this as we are getting asked the same questions.17 minutes ago

Guest Numero Veinticinco
by knoller2

Gary Cahill Update: Once again, a fee has been agreed between Bolton & Liverpool for the defender - It's now down to Liverpool and the player himself. When we receive more news, you will receive more news. Please #ReTweet this as we are getting asked the same questions.17 minutes ago

Originates from 'football juice', no?