You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Might it be that he's just more suited to international football, whereby I mean you can pick and choose your results more? For instance, if it ended in a draw tonight, it wouldn't have been particularly devastating and the next day, all concerned could have started preparing for the Ukraine game.

Obvously therein lies the difference between international and club management- particularly at a club like ours- where there is an expectancy to win, and if you don't win, to at least go down fighting and show you gave your all. I don't think that's Hodgson's style- I think it's all about getting results here and there, and it's pretty much suited to tournament football where it can see you get to the knockout stages.

I'll be honest, I'm no fan of his at all and I was glad to see him go, but I don't have anywhere near the hatred some have nor the willingness to degrade his abilities as a manager at every oppurtunity. At West Brom and Fulham, he showed his abilities in that he's able to organise and make his sides very difficult to beat, and it's working well for England at the minute. It will only get you so far though, and it showed when he became our manager and the same could be said at Inter.

I suppose what I'm trying to say in short is that I stopped giving a shit about him ever since he stopped being our problem and I'm a little perplexed by those who still harp on about him. A dark chapter has closed, and I'm glad for it.

A very good post from Faustus.

The skills that make an international manager successful are very different from those that a club manager needs.

Our prospects of winning the tournament continue to be poor, but a bit of organisaton can go a long way.

Guest davelfc
Might it be that he's just more suited to international football, whereby I mean you can pick and choose your results more? For instance, if it ended in a draw tonight, it wouldn't have been particularly devastating and the next day, all concerned could have started preparing for the Ukraine game. .

It might just work for the OFC, because a lot of the young lads there will view this as a short term thing. Like when I was a lot younger and we did crappy detachments. Long hours, poor conditions and a shit job. Knowing it was only for a short time we would make the most of it and usually end up enjoying it. Had it been my full time job, well I'd have quit.

Same with Woy and the squad. I'm sure more than a few think he's a twat, but they know another manager will be along soon and it's only for a few weeks. No matter what we say there's certainly quality in that squad and they just might surprise us despite having Woy as their manager.

I'm torn on this, I don't care that much for England the team but I want our lads to do well. I'd prefer them to come back uninjured preferably. As far as uncle Woy is concerned, this might just be the job for him. Still won't stop the media ripping him to bits eventually and me laughing at that.

Good post faustus, he isn't a terrible manager just a very limited one. Give him a big club with quality players and he's clueless. He'll drag down the ambitions and expectations of any quality side. Luckily for him England are not even remotely a quality side so what they need is someone who just organises and drills them without any real ambition.

At the moment he's the right fit for the job. I thought at the start of the competition he'd be doing well to get them out of the group stages. The reality is they'll get turned over by the first real quality side they come up against particularly after sides have played themselves into a bit of form. In many ways getting the French in the first round of matches was ideal, I wouldn't have fancied England's chances if they'd ended up playing them in the final round of group games.

If England ever were to put together a generation of genuine quality players he'd be the last man you'd want in charge.

Say what you want, but England's win was down to individual class on two occasions and a goal keeping howler. That's the measure of it.

The talk at the beginning of the game was about England dominating Sweden in the air and at set pieces, and that never happened, in fact, it was the Swedes who took us apart from two set pieces.

Starting with Milner and Young out wide was shit, in the end it was Gerrard and Walcott who provided the width.

But one thing you need if you want to win a tournament is luck, and he seems to have it in spades right now. With Rooney back as well, it's ominous that Hodgson could end this tournament as a national treasure alongside Venables. Football is such a cruel mistress.

Guest davelfc

Imagine if he took them to the final and they won it, it would be like being allowed to shoot one of the jedwards in the head but in turn having to live for the rest of your life with the other.

If England ever were to put together a generation of genuine quality players he'd be the last man you'd want in charge.

And therein lies the rub. That very rarely happens with any nation.

Hodgson is well travelled, an internationalist, and an organiser. With international teams the latter is key. You haven't got time to improve players, just to work out how you are going to set up the team.

Hodgson's pronouncements on stats had me despairing, his failure to timeously scout the opposition was depressing. But he may well be able to do enough to get the team as far as anyone was likley to take it.

Guest San Don

Happy with the win but England rode their luck last night, no one can tell me welbeck's goal was anything other that a 'get something on it and see where it goes' fluke.

Apart from Johnson, the defence was shit. Cole was a fucking liability and if lescot is international class Im a dutchman. Young did fuck all alnight except when he had the chance to chuck himself to the ground half way through the 2nd half in front of goal which he readily did. Milner is a lazy fucking twat.

The goals England conceeded were just shit and against a team better than Sweden, England will be out if they play as they have these last two games.

Good to see Carroll score, Johnson and Gerrard having good games though.

This "master stroke" the media are wanking eachother off over, about bringing Walcott on. 1-0 up at half time, throw it away because you're shite then bring an attacking player on. Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

There are as yet undiscovered tribes of three foot, blind, deaf and mute mongs living in mud huts in the Andes who'd have made the same decision. Just how is it a fucking master stroke?

This is why I despise ingurlund. Pathetic journalism, pathetic fans. Ingurlund will get absolutely fucked up the arse by Germany or Spain.

I don't really understand the hatred towards Hodgson. He is massively overrated and was way out of his depth with us in every possible way, but I don't blame him for it. He should never have been given the job.

I share your bemusement at the vitriol directed at him. He took our job as it was an honour and step up, but he couldn't handle the non-footballing side of things. If he had not taken the job when he did, Kenny might never have become manager and offered us the healing which the club so badly needed. The circumstances when KK did end up taing over were very different to those Hodgson inherited.

He treated the fans with contempt. He kept trying to blame everything that went wrong n the players, his comments after Northampton were a joke, his comments about Johnson were a joke.

He acted like a cunt in nearly every press conference and played the worst football of any Liverpool manager.

His comments about the protest were a disgrace.

I don't really understand the hatred towards Hodgson. He is massively overrated and was way out of his depth with us in every possible way, but I don't blame him for it. He should never have been given the job.

It's the way he acted when he was in the job. He managed to insult the fans, the first team players, the reserves and youngsters, Kenny, Rafa. He just generally acted like a self important cunt and that a job of this size was his god bestowed right for his 35 years of experience winning tinpot cups in Sweden. He didn't try to understand us and just expected our undivided loyalty. The arrogant prick.

He acted like a cunt as our manager.

In extraordinarily difficult circumstances he panicked. The big jobs find out managers like that.

For an experienced media man he made a succession of inane comments. For an experienced manager he failed the basics in managerial survival strategy.