You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

England could also bore the world to death and return home with one goal scored in three games, of course.

Unfortunately, it's equally true, that England could bore the world to death and still get to the knockouts on five points with only one goal scored in three games.

Thank fuck for that. Is that gimmesumtruth wanker still around though?

Who was Maxi then Mike? There was a mention that it was another well known poster who had a second account, but I thought it was likely to be either that prick who used to post as Red Mist or the lunatic RedHorse who saw Racism everywhere and in everything.

This just gets better and better.

Rio is too good to be a sub/squad player so I've not picked him at all. For footballing reasons you understand.

Kelly will be a good addition to the squad as he won't expect to play.

I actually enjoy listening to this cunt now he's no longer our problem. He's show time he's so fucking constantly wrong.

Saw Hodgson and Bernstein with their Jew hats on, dragging the squad to Auschwitz yesterday.

Really? Was that necessary? I've got an image of Andy Carroll and Jack Butland in Auschwitz, looking glum and thoroughly confused with the outing, and I'm just wondering that perhaps their time would be better spent training, resting, or team bonding in a bar.

I'm not at all surprised mind.

What a head fuck for the team that is. All season their focus has been prem, prem, prem, then a couple of friendlies, then euro 2012, oh here's a bit of Auschwitz, then Tactics for the France game.

Saw Hodgson and Bernstein with their Jew hats on, dragging the squad to Auschwitz yesterday.

Really? Was that necessary? I've got an image of Andy Carroll and Jack Butland in Auschwitz, looking glum and thoroughly confused with the outing, and I'm just wondering that perhaps their time would be better spent training, resting, or team bonding in a bar.

I'm not at all surprised mind.

What a head fuck for the team that is. All season their focus has been prem, prem, prem, then a couple of friendlies, then euro 2012, oh here's a bit of Auschwitz, then Tactics for the France game.

Apparently, John Terry turned up in an SS uniform and was said to be deeply upset the camp was no longer in use.

Who was Maxi then Mike? There was a mention that it was another well known poster who had a second account, but I thought it was likely to be either that prick who used to post as Red Mist or the lunatic RedHorse who saw Racism everywhere and in everything.

No idea mate, just a massive bellend. Don't think it was Red Horse though.

That says more about Houllier than anything else. Carra was player of the season in the late 90's when he played centre half for a full season; it was always his best position.

In all fairness this was when the team was diabolically bad and Rigobert Song was seen as a step up at centre half.

Carra was thrown in the deep end at first but played miles better than the more experienced garbage around him.

England v France: don’t con me and the nation, warns Roy Hodgson

Roy Hodgson has challenged his England players “not to let the nation down’’ at Euro 2012, which starts for England against France in Donetsk on Monday.

England v France: don’t con me and the nation, warns Roy Hodgson

Hodgson expects: the England manager issues a stark warning to his players ahead of the clash with

Henry Winter

If they do falter, Hodgson signalled he would radically alter his squad for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

“It could be the most terrific three weeks or the most torrid of my career,’’ Hodgson said. “By that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly, we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking 'my God what are they doing?’

“If that does happen I will learn an awful lot about what I need to do in the coming couple of years to make sure it doesn’t happen in Brazil in 2014.

“I can honestly say that’s the thing that could make it really torrid for me - if I get a totally different reaction in the games from what I am expecting to see from these players.

"If they have conned me into thinking I am working with a good bunch, and this is a bunch who won’t let me or the team or the nation down, then suddenly in three games they really do, then that for me would be the real painful blow.

"That would be much more painful than if I have to read that I got the team wrong or I should have picked this player or done that or the penalty spot wasn’t bright enough.”

England are expected to line up against France with Joe Hart in goal, a back-four of Glen Johnson, John Terry, Joleon Lescott and Ashley Cole, a midfield of James Milner, Steven Gerrard, Scott Parker and Stewart Downing with Ashley Young in the hole behind Danny Welbeck.

Jermain Defoe has returned to the camp after attending his father’s funeral, giving Hodgson a full complement to chose from, although Martin Kelly has been sick.

“Milner didn’t train today as a precaution because he damaged his heel and needed a pad on it. Terry’s fine.

“He’s been in full training since he came off on Saturday at Wembley. Parker’s only missed one training session, the very first one three weeks’ back.”

The squad practised penalties yesterday. “I scored,’’ Young said.

So its nothing to do with you then Roy if they 'let the nation down' ?

He really is unbelievable, i never expected there to come a day when i wanted England to fail but this cunt has made that a reality.

Guest davelfc

He really is unbelievable, i never expected there to come a day when i wanted England to fail but this cunt has made that a reality.

Isn't he the one that's supposed to be shouldering the responsibility? I mean they don't they don't sack the players do they? They still pick duds.

I can't read much of what he says anymore, I dislike the man. Part of me wants England to win, that's something to do with being English, something to do with there being Liverpool players in the squad. But I won't be crying if we get slaughtered, oh no. Because there will be nowhere woy can hide.

Have you noticed how the media are playing down our chances? England entering a competition they're not expected to win. That's the woy effect. The owl faced twat.

“It could be the most terrific three weeks or the most torrid of my career,’’ Hodgson said. “By that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly, we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking 'my God what are they doing?’

“If that does happen I will learn an awful lot about what I need to do in the coming couple of years to make sure it doesn’t happen in Brazil in 2014.

“I can honestly say that’s the thing that could make it really torrid for me - if I get a totally different reaction in the games from what I am expecting to see from these players.

"If they have conned me into thinking I am working with a good bunch, and this is a bunch who won’t let me or the team or the nation down, then suddenly in three games they really do, then that for me would be the real painful blow.

"That would be much more painful than if I have to read that I got the team wrong or I should have picked this player or done that or the penalty spot wasn’t bright enough.”

That's actually obscene.

I saw ITV's Euro 2012 animated opening credits for the first time yesterday, and amongst Euro legends like Platini and Gullit, they've included Roy Hodgson. Fucking bizarre choice to say the least. Mind you, they also included Robbie Keane who has never even played at the Euros!

[YOUTUBE]cQ6lF0yENq0[/YOUTUBE]

Incidentally, the BBC have used the very familiar 'Escape' by Craig Armstrong for their intro.

I saw ITV's Euro 2012 animated opening credits for the first time yesterday, and amongst Euro legends like Platini and Gullit, they've included Roy Hodgson. Fucking bizarre choice to say the least. Mind you, they also included Robbie Keane who has never even played at the Euros!

<a href="

">YouTube Link</a>

Incidentally, the BBC have used the very familiar 'Escape' by Craig Armstrong for their intro.

Is it just me or is that tune in the background from Peter and the wolf?

Is it just me or is that tune in the background from Peter and the wolf?

It is, and I presume they used it because the composer Prokofiev was born in Ukraine. Maybe they couldn't get clearance to use anything by the Polish-born Chopin. Strange one because they used Mozart for their intro at the last Euros.

I have to admire Roy's skills.

Since 1966 this nation, and particularly it's sporting media, has continually displayed mass hysteria when it comes to the expectation-levels surrounding the national team at a tournament. Not only has he hypnotised them all into lowering those expectation levels, he's now managed to blame the team and players for any failings in a tournament they haven't even kicked a ball in yet. That is some feat.

I keep wondering of we are the only ones who are immune and see past this to his own tactics.

Hodgson faces journey into unknown - International - Football - The Independent

Hodgson faces journey into unknown

Roy Hodgson finally arrived at the pinnacle of a fine career last night amid the frescos and the arched ceilings of Krakow's oldest hotel – the Pod Rosa, which can list Honoré de Balzac and Franz Liszt among its former guests. But even having attempted to put out the fire of Rio Ferdinand's non-selection, and having proclaimed that his players say they can beat the French, he was left with the nagging doubt of a manager who cannot really know, deep down, whether this group of individuals will fail him when he needs them.

His tautological line of argument went along the lines that a torrid three weeks of football failure – which he can do something about – is preferable to a torrid three weeks of headlines condemning his team selection. It revealed that this is a journey into the unknown for the new England manager.

"If it's torrid, then I hope that it's [torrid] for the right reasons," Hodgson said. "And by that I mean because the players have let myself and the team down very badly; we have played very badly and that fair-minded people watching us are thinking, 'My God, what are they doing?'

"And if that does happen I will learn an awful lot about what I need to do in the coming couple of years to make sure it doesn't happen in Brazil in 2014. I can honestly say that's the thing that could make it really torrid for me if what I get is totally different in the games from what I am expecting to see from these players. If they have conned me into thinking I am working with a good bunch here and this is a bunch who won't let me or the team or the nation down.

"Then, suddenly, in three games they really do then that for me would be the real painful blow. Much more painful than if I have to read that I got the team wrong or I should have picked this player or done that or the penalty spot wasn't bright enough."

The FA representatives at his side winced at the word "conned", wondering where on earth this Hodgson candour, which always makes them twitchy, was leading. There are some across the nation today who will feel that another disastrous tournament is the dose of salts needed to shake up a club system which leaves England, home of the best league in the world, so pitifully short of international players.

For now, Hodgson has done the best he can and perhaps there are grounds to hope that the lack of expectation will help against a nation undefeated in 21 games.

"It may be quite nice for them to go into a game where people are saying 'It'll be tough' and 'France are a better team than you,'" he reflected. "Quite often they go into games and people say, 'You've got to beat these. You only beat them 2-0? You should have beaten them four...' That's the kind of pressure a lot of our players are under. I would think they'll probably quite enjoy the fact that the 'favourite' position is now being taken from us and given to France. We know we can give them a good game. No question."

Hodgson will probably set Danny Welbeck against the rather immobile Philippe Mexes, despite his interesting revelation yesterday that Andy Carroll is a player he thought about signing for Liverpool. He bridled against a questioner who suggested he was a defensive manager, though left little doubt that he is looking for rigour, not lustre tomorrow.

"The higher the quality team you play, in terms of the attacking threat, the better defensively you have to be," Hodgson said. "But you know sometimes against those teams that, if you can be good defensively, they'll also be a bit more vulnerable on the counter-attack than a team that sits in and says, 'Come on then, show us what you've got.' Swings and roundabouts."

There were some more irrelevances to dismiss before he left, like Joey Barton's suggestion that he would walk into this England team and that Jordan Henderson's selection should leave anyone not selected "aggrieved". Hodgson reflected that "maybe if Joey Barton had a bigger following, we'd be debating that one next week. I'm not 100 per cent convinced his following will give me the same degree of [grief as Rio Ferdinand]... I'm surprised players do that to each other. I shouldn't really be surprised at this stage. It certainly doesn't bother me."

He has seen most things now in his 36 years coaching. Donetsk's heat, for example, won't reach the 35C of the Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan, where his Swiss side drew with the USA in the 1994 World Cup. Yet he has never taken a side into combat when just four weeks into a job.

"Absolutely. Absolutely. Absolutely," he said to the notion that this was his pinnacle. "I'm very excited. I've been excited from the day the chairman called me. But so many targets are set for you, why bother to set them yourself?

"You're quoted to be shot down: 'Hodgson says this', 'We can do that'... I just want to get the team in its best possible shape."

That ITV intro is like a scary nightmare of what would happen if Gerry Anderson puppets suddenly came alive without their strings and started eating people.

I have regular dreams about that. And I hear voices.

In summary..if England win/progress to the semis/even get out of the group, it will be a triumph for Hodgson and all down to him.

We crash and burn in 3 group games, the players have conned him and the nation, it wont be his fault and he will have a big job on his hands trying to get the best out of the next group of players.

I, me, me, I, I, I, me, I. That's Hodgson.

I don't think this embarassing old cunt has any idea of the shitstorm he will be greeted with after 3 poor performances and a KO in the group stages. If he thinks he has already got his retaliation in first by laying any potential blame at the feet of the 'conning' players, then he is in for one big shock.

I'm just looking forward to watching him unravel before our very eyes on the touchline and then in the post-match Press Conferences. He is going to angry and nasty and then broken.