You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

The FA made a mistake in not giving the job to Harry Redknapp instead of Hodgson. Don't get me wrong, Redknapp wasn't a genius or anything, but he could at least set a balanced team up and get them to perform. I always felt Redknapp got bogged down in the transfer side of the game with all the agents and wheeling and dealing, but that wouldn't have been a factor with England.

The FA are a bit strange when it come to their preferred Englishmen. Terry Venables was very knowledgable but they bombed him out. Redknapp didn't get the nod either. There may have been a bit of fuss around both men, but I also thought a bit of class warfare came into play too. I may be off the mark there, but it's the only explanation I can think of for Roy's tenure. If your face fits you can make millions, even with modest achievements.

Skeletons in the closet. Both Venables and Redknapp. Likewise, another candidate: Pardew...

The best thing about all of this is we were telling everybody this 6 years ago but nobody thought it until he gives England their two worst ever tournaments while downplaying expectations so much that nobody batted an eyelid that he finished bottom of a group with Costa Rica.

He's actually surpassed England's worst World Cup performance ever this time around. His achievements in 2014 and 2016 are astonishing...

The FA made a mistake in not giving the job to Harry Redknapp instead of Hodgson. Don't get me wrong, Redknapp wasn't a genius or anything, but he could at least set a balanced team up and get them to perform. I always felt Redknapp got bogged down in the transfer side of the game with all the agents and wheeling and dealing, but that wouldn't have been a factor with England.

The FA are a bit strange when it come to their preferred Englishmen. Terry Venables was very knowledgable but they bombed him out. Redknapp didn't get the nod either. There may have been a bit of fuss around both men, but I also thought a bit of class warfare came into play too. I may be off the mark there, but it's the only explanation I can think of for Roy's tenure. If your face fits you can make millions, even with modest achievements.

They've always been the same, Rev. Clough, with full respect to those disgusted and slandered by his shameful conduct around Hillsborough, and acknowledgement of the nastier, grubbier sides to the man, was one of the greatest English born managers of all time, yet was overlooked for Ron Greenwood the year I was born, and I'm 40 next year!

They're a bunch of starched shirts; hugely divorced from the game itself and the people who truly love it, and along with myriad other similarly insurmountable negative factors are why investing any hope, coin or emotion in the national side is the ultimate fool's errand.

They're sabotaging the England team's own chances all day every day with a series of clueless, oblivious, borderline mental errors coming from much of the same place as Hodgson himself; the magic combo of pomposity, mediocrity, making a virtue of being out of touch with modern methods and slavish adherence to an antiquated, patrician class system where provided you speak politely in public and keep up appearances, there's no need to address your own failings and limitations and the gravy train keeps rolling on.

No wonder he was their man and no wonder we don't just continue to flounder, but are instead setting historical lows with the same old methods and mistakes, even in the year 2016. Had to just start treating it all as comedy years ago, because I'm fucked if I'm having that closed member's club of toff clowns selling me a pup.

• Upvote 4

Why do people keep saying the cunt resigned? His contract finished after the tournament didn't it? He had nothing to resign from, he was just using a press conference where he should be explaining that debacle, to try and own his departure and make it look like he was honourable.

Amazingly, he seems to be getting away with it too.

Heads should roll at the FA, that't the problem here. Hodgson was way out of his depth, and the FA piss-lickers either failed to see that, or just wanted to maintain the 'jobs for the boys' schtick that's seen them all become millionaires in the last 4 years.

Sports funding in this country is spread too thin, we try to be experts at fucking everything and end up being bang average across the board. I doubt the Italian/Spanish/German government spend too much time seriously considering grants for rugby, cricket, tennis or lawn bowls.

And in some ways you have to applaud that, but don't be at all surprised when we fail hard at football for decades to come. That's the cost of diversity and a focus on wanting to keep every cunt happy.

• Upvote 2

Venables wasn't much of a manager tactically, but he seemed to get a bit of team spirit going and was lucky to have some players with spines in 1996. That was as good a chance for them to beat Germany in a tournament as they'll ever have.

Hilarious that they're looking at a man who bottled for them that night as a possible successor.

• Upvote 1

Jobs for the boys. He's 'earned' his go at the top job by showing us how bang average he is at U21 level. That's apparently how this works.

Contrary to everything demonstrated otherwise at club level, where shit managers are replaced by better managers and backroom teams.

The FA would have given our managerial job to Alex Inglethorpe after Rodgers was sacked.

Someone's now going to point out that Zidane was promoted from U21 coach to Real Madrid manager and he won the CL league, but it's Zidane, for fucks sake, a club legend and all-time great. Southgate can point to a history of abject failure on the biggest stages, both as a player and a manager.

Southgate highlights:

- In January 2011, Southgate was appointed as the FA's head of elite development, to work with Sir Trevor Brooking. He left the post in July 2012.

- In 2003, Southgate and close friend and former West Ham goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman co-wrote Woody & Nord: A Football Friendship. This book describes an enduring friendship forged in the Crystal Palace youth team that has survived Southgate and Woodman's wildly differing fortunes in the professional game.

- Southgate was handed his first managerial role at Middlesbrough in June 2006 after Steve McClaren had left to manage England. His appointment drew controversy as he did not have the required coaching qualifications (the UEFA Pro Licence) to manage a top-flight club

- His final appearance as a professional player was in the 2006 UEFA Cup Final against Sevilla, which Boro lost 4–0.

- He managed England U21's to the 2015 U21 championships, where they finished bottom of their group, scoring 2 goals in 3 games, one being a 93rd minute Nathan Redmond goal while 0-3 down against Italy.

Hodgson is a fraud with no idea of what management entails.

He comes out with phrases like "we need to move the ball more quickly", "we need to provide width", "we need fluidity" etc etc. Stuff we can all say, its piss easy. The skill in managing is creating the environment and explaining to the players how to do it. and training them repetitively until they can do it without thinking.

Some things are so fucking obvious it hurts, and its embarrassing to watch. When Kane was taking free kicks from the left (fucking why???), every time Rose would run over it to try to get their defence to move whilst leaving it to Kane to cross in. Now everyone knows Kane is taking the free kick, after all he is 6ft2 and quite good in the air so why would you take him out the box as some sort of decoy? Fucking pointless and stupidly wrong.

Hodgson has no fucking clue, has never had nor will ever have.