You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

It doesn't matter who they get. The whole mentality of England's footballers needs to change but never will because the majority of them are lazy twats who have had people falling over themselves to do everything for them from an early age.

Even if you are a thick brain dead twat it doesn't matter as long as you can run fast and then everyone in the southern based media will tell you that you are world class and the next great hope of the nation.

In a country which has voted for a political and economic change that nobody anywhere has any idea how to manage, and that's divided itself with no figure capable of uniting it, it feels like the problems with English football mirror the problems with England at large. I like Klinsmann a lot, he seems like a genuine progressive with some really interesting values and ideas, but he'd be pissing in the wind here.

I read Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein when I was on my holidays earlier this month, about how German football reinvented itself after 2004. Klinsmann gets a lot of credit for reinvigorating the national team and stamping out some of the anachronistic thinking that existed around it, but there was other work going on within the German FA in terms of revolutionising grassroots football which was building on an already strong coaching base.

He'd face an altogether different task in England, because the FA is all about building Brand England (and associated vanity projects like Wembley and the risibly named St George's Park) and pimping out its star product, the Premier League. Grassroots football has been utterly routed by austerity and the FA and its millions has done fuck all to stop it, and fucking Iceland has more licenced coaches than England because it's so expensive to qualify here - and again, the FA and all its millions haven't lifted a finger to recognise the importance of coaching and make some sort of effort to subsidise it.

Football in this county seems to be another "victim" of anti-intellectualism, there's been no joined up thinking or plan for it over the last 30 years, the national team is all that's ever discussed and that's often in simple terms like "passion" and "overpaid". The FA occasionally has thrown some crumbs at grassroots, they shuffle the deckchairs of the national team but ultimately, they've never taken ownership of the game in the country as a whole, and they've allowed it to totally drift and be looked after by clubs with disparate agendas. They're an utter failure and they might as well bring Hodgson back, the daft cunts deserve him (not that he deserves a frigging king's ransom for being a failure, like).

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Agger explains how bad a manager Roy Hodgson really was

A lengthy Daniel Agger interview with Danish publication jyllands-posten has been translated by the Guardian today, and includes some unbelievable quotes from our former centre-back.

The majority of the story is about Agger’s retirement, with the 31-year-old quitting football earlier this year after years of battling injuries with anti-inflammatory pills. The self medication has caused him countless physical problems and constant pain, awfully.

As well as discussing his health, Agger spoke about the managers he worked under, including Roy Hodgson – who infamously took charge of Liverpool for a few months following Rafa Benitez’s departure.

According to Agger, Hogson’s training sessions were so bad he was left tired and uninspired.

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out,” he said.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

Hodgson was sacked before Christmas after taking over in summer 2010, and it’s interesting to see that some players were as baffled by his methods as us supporters were.

His transfers that summer were arguably the most uninspiring in our history, buying Paul Konchesky, Danny Wilson, Joe Cole and Brad Jones to name a few, and his decision to play defensive, counter-attack football at home to teams like Blackburn and Wolves left supporters rubbing their eyes in disbelief.

It’s not really a massive surprise England crashed out to Iceland at the Euros, is it?

• Upvote 1

The sacking was a blessing in disguise really, as it means Woy has now had the time to go for that gender realignment surgery that he'd always wanted. 

Unfortunately he doesn't have great options up front and the pitch is in a terrible state...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

5b5ea9f915.jpg

Flicking around Sky yesterday & there was one of those PL season reviews on & i land right in the middle of the Wolves home game from the Hodgson season. Can't believe you have to put a warning up about flashing images but not for that.

Sounds like Crimewatch. Please, don't have nightmares.

• 4 months later...

I'm sure Woy is mistaken .

His offer is actually from the Chinese Supper League ,  He will get a a moped and get to keep any tips ,

101871001_roy-hodgson-sport-large_trans+R

oy Hodgson has claimed that the crushing disappointment of failing with England at the last two major tournaments has made him a “better coach” as he plans a return to management.

The former England manager was in defiant mood as he declared that his recent, bruising experiences had not dissuaded him from carrying on. 

The 69-year-old is known to have already received offers to work in the Chinese Super League but would prefer to join a European club, ideally in England, or, if that is not possible, continue as a national coach.