You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

I have a Merseyside/ Liverpool accent and public speaking/ lecturing to an audience is a big part of what I do.

Amazing that the saggy scrotum-faced loser hasn't learned to wind his neck in; merely rotate it 360 degrees while spouting that '35 years a manager' crap in between twit-twoos.

He defo votes Tory. He hums of Iain Duncan-Smith.

• Upvote 1

The thing is I think he thinks he's being dead clever and eloquent when he talks. He probably thinks he's a real wordsmith, able to negotiate the choppiest waters with a wiggle of his silver tongue, when in reality he makes Alan Partridge look like Martin Luther the King.

• Upvote 6

Fucking mong has a speech impediment and he has the neck to have a pop at other people's accent.

Alright Rooney is a total mong as well, barely capable of stringing together a sentence (apart from 'give me more money or I am fucking off') but where he is from is irrelevant to that fact.

Hodgson is a knobhead.

• Upvote 1

He insults potato head's verbal skills after promoting him to captain, which entails a wider use of his verbal skills, brilliant. Normally i'd be dead against him criticizing players like Barkley for taking people on, or the young players after the world cup exit, but seeing that he's openly mocking potato head i can't hate on that, in fact if it makes Rooney any more conscious about himself then he's actually served a positive purpose for once in his career.

Even though I'm scouse myself I just laughed at that quote from him. Fuck him, he's someone else's problem now.

He's like a Viz character at this stage. Woy strikes again!

That was my reaction as well. It really is like somebody left a copy of Viz inside a magic circle and it was open at his character's page, and he's somehow come to life. RK is right, he clearly does think he's being erudite and charming, while not realising that no matter how much he's learned by rote, his innate prejudices will always trip him up.

Tomorrow's press conference......

"It amazes me that when you make a statement of such obvious veracity people want to make headlines out of it. Everyone is saying what I am saying. I hope I am honest and I hope people with Scouse accents are honest. I didn't realise I had been accused of criticising them; I don't normally criticise people with Scouse accents and I'm sorry if that has been suggested."

And next Saturday's press conference....

"I didn't mention the Scouse accent… I think the Scousers will always get behind and support the team. They even did it the other night. After aiming a few jibes at me they were very quick to suddenly get behind the team and scream us on. All I can do is apologise if I've offended anyone and make it perfectly clear there was nothing offensive in my comments."

• Upvote 2

England boss Roy Hodgson says Wayne Rooney has the temperament to lead his country as the Manchester United striker starts a three-match club ban.

Rooney saw red against West Ham last Saturday - the sixth of his career.

"People suggested there was a lack of discipline and so on but, in my dealings with him, nothing could be further from the truth," Hodgson said.

"If someone wants to write that Rooney hasn't got the temperament I can't stop them doing it but they are wrong."

Hodgson added that Rooney, who grew up in the Liverpool suburb of Croxteth, close to previous England captain Steven Gerrard's childhood home of Huyton, shared his predecessor's infectious passion.

"Everyone knows Wayne is not the sort of person, with his Liverpool accent, who is going to be able to stand up in front of a lecture room of people," Hodgson said.

"But he doesn't need to. All he has to do is make certain the players he is talking to understand where he is coming from.

"The great thing with Wayne, as it was with Steven, is the passion that they have for football, for their country and for their clubs.

"They can transmit that passion to a lot of those younger players. They can get their points across. They won't do it maybe quite as eloquently as someone like myself could, but that doesn't matter."

An eloquent person would say that is "fucking bollocks" wouldn't they woy?