You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Once again, Tosh has a poem for the occasion:

The letter came from Dave Bowen of Wales: 'I want you to play in the Home Internationals'.Proud as Punch, I went after lunch,To see Mr Shankly, to thank him a bunch.'Thanks, boss, I said, for letting me go!''I had no idea,' he growled, 'I haven't been told!'Fearing the worst, I asked him what's what,'You're going nowhere, lad, to Wales you're not!'I wanted to argue, but I knew all hope was lost.You don't challenge Mr Shankly, we all know he's boss.'Go to bed, son,' he barked,So upstairs I marched,With a bottle of Lucozade in case I got parched.Wales were cheered on from Bangor to LlanelliBut I had to make do with watching them on the telly.

There must've been a great book of poems brought out that year to stop "oh gosh it's tosh" from walking away with the booker prize for literature.

I've always resisted resorting to vitriol where Hodgson's concerned because, whatever I thought of his tenure, he was still an LFC manager. But he's crossed the line with those twattish comments in relation to Sturridge. The man is a prick.

I've always resisted resorting to vitriol where Hodgson's concerned because, whatever I thought of his tenure, he was still an LFC manager. But he's crossed the line with those twattish comments in relation to Sturridge. The man is a prick.

He crossed the line with his first press conference cowering to the retired cunt. I seriously doubt he would have said this about any other player than one of ours? Rooney has been completely inconsistent since '04. There is no way the cunt would have said this about him.

It's amazing, yet not surprising this isn't a big story. Imagine if Capello had said this about one of the brave ingurlund boys? It's a highly unprofessional thing to say, and gives team managers an escape clause for friendlies. There is no way we should be releasing our players to national managers who think like this.

And the hacks try to make out he's a clever, literate bloke. Professor Stanley Unwin was more coherent.

In fairness to the man the half time comedy routine in a crucial world cup qualifier about space suits, nasa and monkeys, to England's new black winger went down well.

• Upvote 1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9206129.stm

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson said he was "disappointed and a little bit angry" about losing Steven Gerrard to an injury suffered in an England friendly.

The Reds captain faces three to four weeks out because of a grade two hamstring tear suffered in England's 2-1 defeat by France on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old went off after 84 minutes despite Liverpool requesting that he only play for an hour.

Hodgson said he and Gerrard wanted to draw a line under the matter.

The former Fulham boss stated: "As Liverpool manager I am frustrated and disappointed to lose such an important player for such a long period of time.

"Anything I say - other than I am disappointed and even a little bit angry about it - would be dishonest.

"But I know Steven, as an important player for club and country, is keen to put a tin lid on the matter.

"He is disappointed and sad too but he is going to do everything he can to get back to fitness as quickly as possible."

thing is its always been about him being a prick, he was fucking appalling for us yes but had it just been about results I'm sure people would just be glad he has gone and not feel the need to spout of about him, as would be the case if we're ever unfortunate enough to have a manager as bad as him again but happen to actually be a decent bloke or at least not a total bell end like Hodgson just like as was the case with Paul Konchesky, dogshit player but I don't think anyone really wishes him any ill will on a personal level or gives any sort of fuck about him.

Hodgson is a complete fucking wanker and I can't believe it only seems to be Liverpool fans who see it

• Upvote 3

2014 will be the first major tournament where I really will have no interest in watching England.

I genuinely hope Hodgson get's absolutely humiliated.  

I don't even know the words to describe how infuriating this pompus old twat is.

He is getting close to Ferguson in terms of how much I despise him.

thing is its always been about him being a prick, he was fucking appalling for us yes but had it just been about results I'm sure people would just be glad he has gone and not feel the need to spout of about him, as would be the case if we're ever unfortunate enough to have a manager as bad as him again but happen to actually be a decent bloke or at least not a total bell end like Hodgson just like as was the case with Paul Konchesky, dogshit player but I don't think anyone really wishes him any ill will on a personal level or gives any sort of fuck about him.

Hodgson is a complete fucking wanker and I can't believe it only seems to be Liverpool fans who see it

Exactly.

Konchesky admitted that he joined us because it was too good a chance to turn down, a last crack at the big time, and also admitted that it didn't work out, and moved on at the earliest opportunity

Love the hypocrisy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9206129.stm

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson said he was "disappointed and a little bit angry" about losing Steven Gerrard to an injury suffered in an England friendly.

The Reds captain faces three to four weeks out because of a grade two hamstring tear suffered in England's 2-1 defeat by France on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old went off after 84 minutes despite Liverpool requesting that he only play for an hour.

Hodgson said he and Gerrard wanted to draw a line under the matter.

The former Fulham boss stated: "As Liverpool manager I am frustrated and disappointed to lose such an important player for such a long period of time.

Hodgson 'angry' to lose injured Gerrard

"Anything I say - other than I am disappointed and even a little bit angry about it - would be dishonest.

"But I know Steven, as an important player for club and country, is keen to put a tin lid on the matter.

"He is disappointed and sad too but he is going to do everything he can to get back to fitness as quickly as possible."

Hodgson was also rocked by Friday's news that midfielder Jay Spearing faces up to six weeks on the sidelines after suffering an ankle injury in training.

The 21-year-old turned his ankle and cracked a small bone just above the ankle in his fibia, ruining his hopes of making his first Premier League start against West Ham on Saturday.

England boss Fabio Capello has said he would speak with Hodgson to sympathise about the Gerrard situation but did not intend to apologise.

The Italian said he kept Gerrard on the pitch longer than intended against the French because he needed an experienced player on the pitch as Rio Ferdinand and Gareth Barry had been substituted because of injury at half-time.

606: DEBATE

It's always frustrating when you send your players to some meaningless friendly, and they send them back crocked

GD

However, at his Friday news conference, Hodgson confirmed the meeting was yet to take place.

"I don't expect apologies from anyone and I'm not prepared to add any fuel to the fire," he added.

If Gerrard is sidelined for four weeks he will miss matches against West Ham, Tottenham, Steaua Bucharest, Aston Villa, Newcastle and FC Utrecht.

The absence of such an influential player is a massive blow to the Reds as they look to turn around a disappointing start to the season in which they have only won four of their first 13 Premier League games.

After the game on Wednesday Liverpool fitness coach Darren Burgess criticised Capello and England on social media website Twitter for their extended use of Gerrard, although the posts were subsequently deleted.

"Unbelievable from all associated with England and English FA with regard to SGs [steven Gerrard's] injury. Completely ignored agreement and past history," his first tweet read.

"Completely amateurish and now we pay for their incompetence. Absolutely disgraceful."

Capello defends Gerrard decision

Liverpool will be compensated financially for the loss of their skipper as the FA's insurance policy will cover his wages for the weeks he misses because of an injury picked up on international duty.

However, Gerrrard's absence leaves Liverpool short in central midfield for the game against West Ham as Lucas Leiva will be suspended, while Christian Poulsen has struggled to adapt to the Premier League after his summer move from Serie A side Juventus and Spearing is now injured.

Playmaker Joe Cole is also sidelined as he recovers from the hamstring strain picked up at Bolton on 31 October.

However, Hodgson has been boosted by better news on strikers Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt, and defenders Martin Skrtel and Glen Johnson.

Torres played the second half of Spain's defeat by Portugal after picking up an ankle injury last Saturday in the loss at Stoke.

Netherlands international Kuyt, Slovakia centre-back Skrtel and England right-back Johnson did not go on international duty as they recovered from injury and all four should be fit to face the Hammers.