You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

"As a member of the FA, it's a sub judice situation and I'm not prepared to say any more."

"All I can do like many of his supporters, I suppose, is just hope he gets freed and can continue to play."

He'll never learn to shut up.

He needs to feel that he is a sagacious footballing visionary,with lets not forget,many years of "success" in many countries.

He makes a massive effort to appear this way in his interviews by using what he imagines to be erudite observations.

The simple fact is he is a man teetering on the precipice above the valley of Alzheimer's.

The face rub alone,if performed in public in any town or city would have him sectioned.

I pity the crazy old fucker,and hope his stint as England manager continues for many years purely for the comedic value.

Here we have people moaning about BBB and others for not thinking Rodgers is the next best thing and not showing him respect and then we have this thread where people abuse our ex-manager in 9 out of 10 posts.

So you think Hodgson deserves praise for his time at Anfield?

And you're not exactly backward in coming forward with your views about another of our former managers. One that, in my view, deserves far more respect than you give him.

Here we have people moaning about BBB and others for not thinking Rodgers is the next best thing and not showing him respect and then we have this thread where people abuse our ex-manager in 9 out of 10 posts.

Just like you do with Rafa at every chance, so what's your point exactly?

Hodgson got a lot of people's respect at the very beginning (not everyones but a lot) so why can't Rodgers at least have the same? He hasn't done a thing wrong yet to warrant the abuse that the likes of that prick BBB gives him. At least Rodgers doesn't chat total shit every single time he opens his mouth like Woy did. While it is true that respect is earned at least let Rodgers earn it.

that would be because Hodgson is a cunt

So you think Hodgson deserves praise for his time at Anfield?

And you're not exactly backward in coming forward with your views about another of our former managers. One that, in my view, deserves far more respect than you give him.

Are you suggesting I'm abusing Rafa calling him all the names under the sun?

I'm not a Hodgson fan at all, never been, never will be as his football goes against all my ideas and everything I stand for when it comes to football.

I'd have no problem with people discussing Hodgson and his set up and point to him not being very good, but thats not whats happening here is it?

• 1 month later...

Journos starting to pick up on his nonsense. Andy Dunn in the Sunday Mirror;

Roy Hodgson has made a decent enough start to his tenure.

In fact, if – as FIFA do – we count the defeat to Italy at Euro 2012 as a ‘draw’, he is *unbeaten in his first nine games. And he has led England with the type of dignity everyone expected from him.

But some of his recent statements – he claimed last week that Wayne Rooney was not too out-of-sorts at the Euros *– have been worrying. “I’m not so certain I’m *prepared to accept it wasn’t a great *performance. I didn’t think we did that badly,” he said after the draw against Ukraine.

Now, there is protecting your players, keeping your criticism inside the dressing room. And then there is insulting the intelligence.

Andy Dunn column: Why we must silence the morons' hymn of hate against the victims Liverpool - Hillsborough and Manchester United - Munich - Andy Dunn - Mirror Online

The vilification of Hodgson before, during and after his time here is an intriguing phenomena which transcends the man, and a complex one.

The club that Hodgson inherited was in meltdown. The best players wanted out, the financiers were forcing a sale, the Chairman and CEO were on their way out, the previous manager had spent a self-destructive past season engaged in civil war and the new incumbent was likely to be in for months, not years, before new owners, new ideas, and new money arrived. It was the job from hell.

Some believe that was the moment at which Kenny should have been appointed. Yet Kenny, ever the shrewdest of players, declined to throw his hat in the ring publicly, no doubt aware better than most that this was a poisoned chalice.

In retrospect the solution is obvious, a temporary appointment, probably of Kenny in a strictly caretaker role would have been ideal. Instead some dreamed of Mourinho and Pellegrini, when in practise no-one of substance wanted a runt of an opportunity, the right job at the wrong time. Hodgson was the personification of all of our ills, and no-one liked it, understandably.

There was a case that Hodgson would be a safe pair of hands. Familiar with the North West from his time at Blackburn, a family friend of Kenny so well aware of the nightmare of G&H, an experienced PL manager , an experienced manager of multi-national sides and a good media man,his task was really just to arrest the Rafa slide, hold our own around top six – and wait for the cavalry to arrive.

From his point of view accepting the job was a no-brainer. His last chance to have a crack at a top club side, our customary crazily generous contractual terms and the knowledge that outside of LFC everyone knew he was on a hiding to nothing so he didn’t have much to lose all conspired to “yes”- and who could blame him?

Upon arrival he faced the contempt of the Rafanistas, and the refuseniks who could not comprehend that this was how far we had fallen. It was inauspicious. A few inspiring signings might have rallied the troops, but Konshecky, Poulsen and Cole proved anything but, and as Kenny knows, no manager can survive a bad session at the transfer market. Yet still all was not lost. The side was disillusioned under a season of internecine warfare, it wasn’t terrible. A bit of basic organisation. Some realism with the fans,” I am here to do as well as I can in the most appalling of circumstances, we are all in this together, etc, etc.” Instead the pressure got to him. The footballing basics deserted him and his media discipline deserted him as bizarre comments, and poor results, caught him in a death grip. His fault.

He was not a success here. He failed at the basics. But it is unlikely that anyone could have done much better ,and his home league record was better than Kenny’s last season.

Sadly, I think he is simply past his best. His notorious faux pas in asking a journalist for a group game competitors result , and assessment of performance, the day after, when he should have not only known it, but had the scouting report, shows a man happy to be in office but for whom the detail of the job is now beyond him. His press comments, under less pressure than he was here, continue to be scatty and ill-judged.

The “Hodgson era” at LFC is a catch all term for the dog days of the G&H regime in the round as much as a damning of the man himself.