You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

The media = the important people. Fucking hell.

In any case the media were backing him from the moment he took over right up until the bitter end. And if the fans aren't backing him maybe that's because, unlike the media, they don't have agendas and cosy relationships with the manager and do that old-fashioned thing of judging him on his worth.

I'd love to see him get the England job. Or, more to the point, I'd just love to see him in the frame for it, just to see all those England supporting arseholes who said he's a great manager that we never gave a chance squirming in their seats as they contemplate the possibility of Hodgson managing their national side.

It'd be like the boy who cried wolf.

There is a common perception in the media that Hodgson was never given a chance by the fans and that played a key role in his eventual dismisal.

Utter bollocks.

Whilst many fans, like myself, were hardly doing cartwheels on news of his appointment, had he of started the season well, racked up a fair amount of points on the board, and shown a general improvement on the horrible season which preceded him then the fans would have soon got behind him.

He didn't, the football was shite, the results even worse, and the warning signs were there from as early as the second game of the season when City turned us over and he sat clueless on the line totally bereft of any ideas on how to change his rigid 442, drop deep with two banks of 4, dull, uninspiring set up.

That is all it boils down to. If he got the results, he'd still be manager now.

There is a common perception in the media that Hodgson was never given a chance by the fans and that played a key role in his eventual dismisal.

Utter bollocks.

Whilst many fans, like myself, were hardly doing cartwheels on news of his appointment, had he of started the season well, racked up a fair amount of points on the board, and shown a general improvement on the horrible season which preceded him then the fans would have soon got behind him.

He didn't, the football was shite, the results even worse, and the warning signs were there from as early as the second game of the season when City turned us over and he sat clueless on the line totally bereft of any ideas on how to change his rigid 442, drop deep with two banks of 4, dull, uninspiring set up.

Spot on. I've heard this line over and over again in the media, not least from Hodgson himself. Apparently it's all the fans' fault that he wasn't a success here, it had nothing to do with his useless tactics, terrible signings and complete inability to motivate the squad. A lot of fans were underwhelmed by his appointment, but most wished him the best and wanted him to succeed. It's just that we realised very quickly that the job was far too big for him, and his campaign of lowering expectations was never, ever going to work. As with Torres he is now just coming across like a bitter ex and would be better served shutting the fuck up and getting on with his job.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

A bit harsh some of the posts on here wouldn't you say?

he had a go,can't blame him for that...it went not to plan so he quietly stepped aside and made way for Kenny..

No big stories re pay offs etc with Roy....i have respect for him as a coach and person

Utter bollocks.

The poor football was the only reason I wanted him gone. I wouldn't have chosen him in the first place but like every supporter was only too willing to back him and sincerely wanted him to succeed.

I have not often turned a match off even if we are losing - in fact never before - but that Man City game I did and started dreading the games coming up.

It was like waking from a bad dream when he went and now he can just STFU.

A bit harsh some of the posts on here wouldn't you say?

he had a go,can't blame him for that...it went not to plan so he quietly stepped aside and made way for Kenny..

No big stories re pay offs etc with Roy....i have respect for him as a coach and person

I wouldn't say he "quietly stepped aside" - he was verbally kicking and screaming until the bitter end.

My blood pressure has just gone absolutely soaring through the roof yet again because of this ungracious con-artist. Yet again spouting off about Liverpool. He needs to know his role and shut his mouth:

Every time he opens his mouth he makes me fly into an almost uncontrollable rage.

You could just ignore him.

He took on a job in very difficult circumstances, tried his best at it, but it just wasn't quite enough for what we wanted, and it didn't work out in the end.

He's not here to kick around anymore. Let him go.

• Downvote 1

Got to love the King... "The backing of the important people". He's got to be referring to Kenny.

You can see Kenny doing this when he heard Hodgson was getting the job.

facepalm_picard2.jpg

"Roy Hodgson?"

said: "I would rather hope if I was ever going to be offered the England job, it would be with the backing of the important people.

"Otherwise, it's going to be a very difficult job for anyone who takes the job.

"Because, even if you've got the competence and, if you maybe are the 'right person', you need to be perceived as the right person.

"And the perception of my Liverpool appointment was not right and as a result, of course, you end up paying for it."

He's an idiot.

If results hadn't have been as dire as they were, he would have got the support of everybody.

As it was, he bought shit players, we played shit football and we got shit results - all of it down to him.

I hated the fact that the media portrayed his win over Kenny last season as some sort of Karma for us sacking him. The real Karma would have been us winning the game 5-0.

100% correct

Guest TK-421
In any case the media were backing him from the moment he took over right up until the bitter end.

Precisely. He had the full backing of the media when he was appointed Liverpool manager, it's arguable that the only reason he got the job is because he was the acceptable face of English football management at the time in media circles and with the fans. And, by extension and Roy's own logic, he had the fans' backing.

I'm not sure what his problem is.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

£7m....blimey!

I am ignorant of that.....i thought he just did a Pearce/Keegan and walked..

In that case...he's a twunt!

Precisely. He had the full backing of the media when he was appointed Liverpool manager, it's arguable that the only reason he got the job is because he was the acceptable face of English football management at the time in media circles and with the fans. And, by extension and Roy's own logic, he had the fans' backing.

I'm not sure what his problem is.

Apart from a weak bladder, he is a fucking idiot!

That is his problem, he is an idiot.

I knew he had to go after the Newcastle game.

The shit he came out with after the Derby though, when we got played off the park by Everton. " That was the best we have played all season", i nearly smashed my tv up.

But because he keeps coming out and saying the fans never backed him and the media keep printing it, means every other fans think he never had support from the start.

Complete knobhead.