You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Onions

Elite

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I do my ragu with half pork and half beef mince, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, diced onion, carrot and celery, red wine, high pressure in my Instant Pot for an hour... Absolutely superb. 

Its lovely with half pork and half beef mince to be fair. 

Beef Mince, Chopped Tomatoes, Passata, Tomato Puree, Fresh Garlic, Red Pepper sliced, White Onion diced, Chopped Mushrooms, Red Wine, Seasoning. 

An hour and a half simmering in a big pot. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I do my ragu with half pork and half beef mince, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, diced onion, carrot and celery, red wine, high pressure in my Instant Pot for an hour... Absolutely superb. 

Oh, aye. Pinching Jamie Oliver's recipe and passing it off as your own, eh? I see how it is. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, aye. Pinching Jamie Oliver's recipe and passing it off as your own, eh? I see how it is. 

It’s just a standard ‘authentic’ bolognese ragu recipe. Instant Pot is my secret weapon. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yeah but bolognese is based on getting rid of the water content - and now ya gotta fish out all the broken down veggies.

An hour is definitely fine for the veggies. Bolognese to me is meat sauce first and foremost anyway. An hour of pressure cooking yields practically the same result as 3-4 hours in the pan. 

42 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Sounds ace that but no herbs? I usually throw in some Oregano in mine.

• Upvote 2

Just now, viRdjil said:

An hour is definitely fine for the veggies. Bolognese to me is a meat sauce first and foremost anyway. An hour of pressure cooking yields practically the same result as 3-4 hours in the pan. 

If you took that attitude to Italy you'd end up disembowelled hanging outside the Palazzo Vecchio. And rightly frigging so. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

If you took that attitude to Italy you'd end up disembowelled hanging outside the Palazzo Vecchio. And rightly frigging so. 

You gotta get with the tech. My wife used to be one of those “I use my phone to make a phone call and send a text” bores.

Just now, viRdjil said:

You gotta get with the tech. My wife used to be one of those “I use my phone to make a phone call and send a text” bores.

Not at the expense of destroying great food. I bet you eat these as well don't you

3945644072_6abefea064_b.jpg

Half beef - half pork is a good start.

Needs some pancetta.

The only tomato in the whole shooting match is can of whole San Marzanos - drained, cut up - it is not a tomato sauce. There is no puree, there is no passata.

Now - you decide if you want to go traditional -- old Italians cut the veg up really large -- because they are removed before serving.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Half beef - half pork is a good start.

Needs some pancetta.

The only tomato in the whole shooting match is can of whole San Marzanos - drained, cut up - it is not a tomato sauce. There is no puree, there is no passata.

Now - you decide if you want to go traditional -- old Italians cut the veg up really large -- because they are removed before serving.

I cannot for the life of me find a can of San Marzano tomatoes in any shop where I live Howie. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Aye -- bad news.

Not sure how serious you are but you can get cases of Cento through Amazon - every single tomato product (whole peeled, diced, paste, passata) they have is top notch.

Sounds silly but the same goes for real reggiano - worth every extra dollar.

Will check it out Howie. Cheers. One of life's little pleasures is making a good Bolognese

41 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Aye -- bad news.

Not sure how serious you are but you can get cases of Cento through Amazon - every single tomato product (whole peeled, diced, paste, passata) they have is top notch.

Sounds silly but the same goes for real reggiano - worth every extra dollar.

Bit of a fucking treck like 

• Upvote 3