You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Just my opinion on it. Which has changed over the years reading more on the war. I'm sure others will have points either way. 

I think you're spot on. A horrific act but the alternative was probably 50 times as many dead in the long run.  

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nope. An alternative would have been demonstrate the power of it in Manchuria where no innocent people died then said if you don't surrender the next one lands on a military base then after that your cities. 

Mate the Japanese high command wanted to fight through the bombings and Hiroshima was a legitimate military target, the same as the allied strategic boning campaign in Germamy(see below, as I said there where very few true civilians in Japan. Its a fucking travesty it had to happen but in the long run it saved Japanese lives and more importantly at the time Allied lives. Without living through 6 years of all out war I do t think its fair to judge them on dropping the bombs) they've never have believed it had it been dropped on Manchura. And why should Mongolian and Koreans get caught up in the bombings and die. How old the Russians have reacted to the US dropping a atomic bomb when the Soviet army was at the Manchurian border starting the build up to liberate Manchuria. 

They would not and did not want to surrender, even after their own scientist reported on Hiroshima

On August 7, a day after Hiroshima was destroyed, Dr. Yoshio Nishina and other atomic physicists arrived at the city, and carefully examined the damage. They then went back to Tokyo and told the cabinet that Hiroshima was indeed destroyed by a nuclear weapon. Admiral Soemu Toyoda, the Chief of the Naval General Staff, estimated that no more than one or two additional bombs could be readied, so they decided to endure the remaining attacks, acknowledging "there would be more destruction but the war would go on".[183] American Magic codebreakersintercepted the cabinet's messages.[184]

Purnell, Parsons, Tibbets, Spaatz, and LeMay met on Guam that same day to discuss what should be done next.[185] Since there was no indication of Japan surrendering,[184] they decided to proceed with dropping another bomb. Parsons said that Project Albertawould have it ready by August 11, but Tibbets pointed to weather reports indicating poor flying conditions on that day due to a storm, and asked if the bomb could be readied by August 9. Parsons agreed to try to do so

4 minutes ago, Hand Shandy said:

Inappropriate autocorrect of the day award goes to 'allied strategic boning of Germany'.

Yeah that was more of a Eastern from thing. The Red Army did a fair bit of inappropriate boning 

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't think you can ever justify the use of nuclear weapons so it's a "no" from me.  I believe it was done as an experiment and that the surrender shortly thereafter was an unexpected and unintended bonus. 

Luckily no one gives a fuck what you think. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hand Shandy said:

Is that your butt plug?

No its to keep the fucking cats from shitting in my garden, but one my thing said about fat thumbs and it'll be leaving mushroom clouds over fuckers streets

Manchuria is a new one. The US would have needed a super super super fortress to get there.

Folks are making judgements based on modern peacetime ethics. Any President who hadn't attempted to use the bomb to end the war would have been lynched.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Manchuria is a new one. The US would have needed a super super super fortress to get there.

Folks are making judgements based on modern peacetime ethics. Any President who hadn't attempted to use the bomb to end the war would have been lynched.

And a lot based on war films depiction of how ‘easy’ it was. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

You are a fucking idiot. 

I've seen one or two documentaries that say there was a major split in the higher echelons of the Japanese power base and they may just have surrendered very soon. That said something had to be done and it was a case of amount of japanese civilians versus US troop deaths mounting an invasion and it was always going to be the latter. The comment Lee says about it also being done to stop the Soviets invading Japan is an accurate one,I believe.

12 hours ago, M_B said:

Yep. 

The Yanks had seen the lengths to which the Japanese would go to to defend their home islands with the likes of Iwo Jima, any attempt to invade the Japanese Homeland would have cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of Allied lives. 

The allies were exhausted in every way, economically, manpower, politically, the war had to end as soon as possible. 

Besides which, if the British could have dropped an atom bomb on Berlin in 1941 and avoided four years of conflict would that have been wrong? Obviously not, in fact I've got a genuine erection just thinking about it.