You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Record radiation level at Japan nuclear plant Fukushima plant's operator says level "

dennis tooth

20 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Really scary. It is a widely held belief in Belarus that the Russians seeded the rain clouds to dump the bulk of the radiation on their country rather than western europe. 

19 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They definitely seeded the clouds, but apparently to stop it hitting Moscow and other major Russian cities. Belarus was less densely populated. Sacrificing the few to protect the many.

16 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Seeding clouds I thought that was make believe shit. 

They may have seeded the clouds, but that doesn't mean it worked. As I understand it, the process is far from proven. 

19 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

"About 70% of the radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl disaster landed in Belarus, heavily contaminating one-fourth of the country, one-fifth of its agricultural land and affecting at least 7 million people"

Which suggests that the graphic depiction of radioactive spread and deposition posted by @Gnasher above is misleading. And yet it's sourced from the Met Office so it must be right. Right? 

Given what took place at Fukushima and Chernobyl, to name but two, if I had the choice, I'd be allowing other countries to build nuclear power plants in my country. I can see no potential problem at all. Nuclear power is 100% safe in every single regard and nothing can go wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The uK has never successfully decommissioned a nuclear submarine, not one. They are all tied up slowly rusting away in Scotland and Plymouth but still radioactive. It’s the same in Russia but they have hundreds of the fucking things all along the coast and every now and then they catch a sailor on meagre wages trying to smuggle radioactive materials out of the submarines to sell to terrorists to make a crude dirty bomb. One day someone will succeed.

We are the first generation in human history to knowingly be leaving a poisonous legacy that will pollute the planet for the next 20,000 years. Our predecessors built amphitheaters, cathedrals and great art, we are bequeathing rusting submarines containing nuclear waste. History will not judge us well. 

Our Grandchildren will judge us even less well.