You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is yor favourite serial killer?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is yor favourite serial killer?

• Zodiac
    • Andrei Chikatilo
    • Jack The Ripper
    • The Yorkshire Ripper
    • Fred West
    • David Berkowitz- Son Of Sam
    • Jeffrey Dahmer
    • John Wayne Gacy
    • Ted Bundy
    • Richard Ramirez - The Night Stalker
    • The Boston Strangler
    • Charles Starkweather
    • Henry Lee Lucas
    • Denis Nilsen
    • Harold Shipman
    • Gilles De Rais
    • Herman Mudgett
    • Ed Gein
    • Pedro Lopez
    • Other

9 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Yeah, hitmen don't count, got to be the ones that do it for fun.

I reckon he probably killed for fun before he worked for the Mafia. It's unlikely he got the job through a promotion or because he applied for it somehow. He must have been killing and was put in touch with someone for being good at it.

Israel Keyes. Not so well known because he killed himself shortly after being caught. Lived in Alaska but would fly all over America with the specific aim of going elsewhere to commit murder. He’d plan years in advance and bury kill kits near where he was going to do it. Very interesting character and well worth a google if you have time. The friends and family of his victims probably aren’t so keen on him.

Albert Fish- the pervert's pervert, a paedophile cannibal who killed and ate at least 3 and possibly dozens of kids in Depression-era USA.

He was a bit of a cause celebre at school in the '80s when I got a book of weird deaths as a stocking filler and he was listed in it- they had trouble executing him due to all the metal needles he'd inserted in his perineum and scrotum causing the electric chair to short circuit, although it seems that was an urban myth (the short circuit, he definitely had a groin full of metal).

The confession letters on [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish]Wikipedia[/url] are still shocking, the Billy Gaffney one is particularly hard to read (my own son was the same age as Gaffney when I first read it, and it utterly horrified me). He's fascinating as a horrible, inhuman brute of a man with no redeeming features whatsoever, about as far as you can get from the charming, intelligent Bundy/ Lecter stereotype.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Albert Fish- the pervert's pervert, a paedophile cannibal who killed and ate at least 3 and possibly dozens of kids in Depression-era USA.

He was a bit of a cause celebre at school in the '80s when I got a book of weird deaths as a stocking filler and he was listed in it- they had trouble executing him due to all the metal needles he'd inserted in his perineum and scrotum causing the electric chair to short circuit, although it seems that was an urban myth (the short circuit, he definitely had a groin full of metal).

The confession letters on [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish]Wikipedia[/url] are still shocking, the Billy Gaffney one is particularly hard to read (my own son was the same age as Gaffney when I first read it, and it utterly horrified me). He's fascinating as a horrible, inhuman brute of a man with no redeeming features whatsoever, about as far as you can get from the charming, intelligent Bundy/ Lecter stereotype.

I really wish I hadn't read that 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Good shout. Reading about Fish as an 8 year old scarred me for life.

Some classic Snowy and silverlining in the earlier parts of this thread.

I voted for Mr Sutcliffe,a fellow Yorkshire man of course and caught two miles from my house! Later on in the 1980's I was on a YTS course that was based three buildings along from were Mr S had parked up and where he hid his "tools" while going for a piss.I liked pointing that out to the new girls on the courses.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

I voted for Mr Sutcliffe,a fellow Yorkshire man of course and caught two miles from my house! Later on in the 1980's I was on a YTS course that was based three buildings along from were Mr S had parked up and where he hid his "tools" while going for a piss.I liked pointing that out to the new girls on the courses.

I read a book about him a few months back. They reckon he killed a lot more than 13. Whole book pretty much linking him directly to about another 17/18 murders. 

If you’ve not seen it you should try to find Red Riding: The year of our lord 1974, 1980 and 1983 which are TV movies set in Yorkshire around the time of the murders. 

Boss cast, Paddy Considine, Sean Bean, Andrew Garfield and David Morrissey among others. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Riding?wprov=sfti1

I was talking to my bird about the Beatles a while back and I started to talk about Stuart Sutcliffe and after a few minutes of me talking she said “you’d think more would be said about The Yorkshire Ripper once being in The Beatles”.

with that, my vote is for Stuart Sutcliffe.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Fugitive said:

I was talking to my bird about the Beatles a while back and I started to talk about Stuart Sutcliffe and after a few minutes of me talking she said “you’d think more would be said about The Yorkshire Ripper once being in The Beatles”.

with that, my vote is for Stuart Sutcliffe.

My vote goes to your bird

4 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Err, at least he wrote a letter to the girls mother explaining that whilst he killed and ate her at least he kept her virginity intact like a gentleman.

Yeah, but he liked bumming and he didn’t mention that in the letter.

• 3 months later...

Book him, Danno.

https://www.indy100.com/article/jack-ripper-revealed-identity-polish-barber-aaron-kosminski-8828286

The identity of Jack the Ripper may have been finally revealed after a nearly 150-year-old saga to unmask the notorious serial killer.

DNA on a blood-covered shawl found next to the mutilated body of one of the murderer’s victims has proved to be a match to a 23-year-old barber, according to research published last week.

Aaron Kosminski was previously named as a prime suspect by the detective who led the hunt for Jack the Ripper, but there was never enough evidence to convict him.

But now over 100 years later, researchers from Liverpool John Moores University say they have carried out the “most advanced study to date regarding this case”, using the “only remaining physical evidence linked to the murders”.

Jack the Ripper is thought to have brutally raped and murdered at least five women in London's East End in 1888.

The researchers published their findings in the Journal of Forensic Sciences, and wrote:

We describe for the first time systematic, molecular level analysis of the only surviving physical evidence linked to the Jack the Ripper murders.

Finding both matching profiles in the same piece of evidence enhances the statistical probability of its overall identification and reinforces the claim that the shawl is authentic.

The shawl the scientists analysed was found next to the killer’s fourth victim, Catherine Eddowes, and is speckled with what is claimed to be the blood and semen of the killer.

This isn’t the first time Kosminski has been linked to the crimes. But it is the first time the supporting DNA evidence has been published in a peer-reviewed journal. 

But, critics have questioned whether the shawl is viable evidence, arguing there is no proof it was found alongside Eddowes’ body, and that it might have been contaminated over time.

Kosminski was a Polish Jewish immigrant who moved to London’s Mile End Old Town after feeling persecution from Poland’s Russian rulers.

He was admitted to a string of lunatic asylums after 1891, where he died in 1899 of gangrene in the leg.

The shawl was bought at auction by businessman Russell Edwards in 2007.

And it’s not the first time the DNA on the shawl has been linked to Kosminski – Dr Jari Louhelainen, one of the co-authors of the current study, first conducted testing on the shawl five years earlier.