You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

Is it your birthday, Remmie? All the best people have birthdays in October.

Have just discovered that I can top your downside of shift work...have been rota'd to work days Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Let the negotiations and creeping begin...

Is it your birthday, Remmie? All the best people have birthdays in October.

Have just discovered that I can top your downside of shift work...have been rota'd to work days Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Let the negotiations and creeping begin...

Divored parents and working C******** day is great, tell them both you're working and you can't see either.

Avoids all the arguing and then see them a day or two later when everyone has stopped stressing about just a normal fucking day of the year and they actually start to enjoy themselves then.

I'll leave it there or I'll end up in the ranting thread again.

Divored parents and working C******** day is great, tell them both you're working and you can't see either.

Avoids all the arguing and then see them a day or two later when everyone has stopped stressing about just a normal fucking day of the year and they actually start to enjoy themselves then.

I'll leave it there or I'll end up in the ranting thread again.

All my own fault for bringing the matter up but I can feel the stress levels rising already....but, yes, plenty of time for all that in the rant thread (what did people do without that thread?)

I have actually volunteered to work Christmas as I would start at 7pm and well I've covered why already in this thread. Will definitely work boxing day as well.

It's Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve that I prefer not to miss.

I always do NYE late and NYD early and let the young 'uns go out. I tend to normally work C******** day too on the understanding I have the eve and boxing day off.

They're the best 2 days over the festive period for me. People aren't stressing about anything just having a drink and a laugh.

Never got as far as checking NY rota....probably on NYE (or Hogmanay as its known here) and New Years Day.....and New Year's Eve isnt even a P/H

But you're right about Christmas Eve and Boxing Day...way more relaxed. Never known anyone like my Mum for getting so stressed over Christmas Day but my working only makes her worse as she tries to organise the whole day around my hours, when I'd rather people just got on with it and I catch up/duck out as necessay

I've started working xmas pretty regularly. It probably has something to do with double time, a day in lieu and a £350 bonus per shift.

The really gutting thing is that this year I'm doing most of the planning for our xmas job so have to come up with shift times and decide which ones to do.

Gutted.

I'll probably work New Year too. The hoilday that working a few days will buy me will make up for it.

I've started working xmas pretty regularly. It probably has something to do with double time, a day in lieu and a £350 bonus per shift.

The really gutting thing is that this year I'm doing most of the planning for our xmas job so have to come up with shift times and decide which ones to do.

Gutted.

I'll probably work New Year too. The hoilday that working a few days will buy me will make up for it.

When we do the rota over that period we put a blank one on the wall and ask people to put down what they're prepared to work.

All the staff know the requirements and accept we're a 24/7 service so expect to have to do their bit, I will remind people that if they take the piss with putting down what they can work then they were obviously not being serious so I'll just ignore it and then who knows what they'll end up with.

More often than not they pretty much do the rota for me.

• 7 months later...
Ok, what do the rest of you do to get a decent kip after a night shift?

And, yes, I did find this other thread http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/91775-drinking-after-coming-off-night-shift.html but as lifey pointed out, its maybe not quite the solution I'm looking for

When i only worked nights i never had a issue in the winter,the summer on the other hand was a nightmare due to the heat and light.

Do you have blackout curtains?

If not get them

When i only worked nights i never had a issue in the winter,the summer on the other hand was a nightmare due to the heat and light.

Do you have blackout curtains?

If not get them

I dont but I'm hoping to redecorate the bedroom over the next few months and blackout curtains are on the list

My ol fella used to go swimming after a night' date=' that would knock him out for the rest of the day.[/quote']

I used to do this, I could never be arsed after I'd had a sleep and was feeling dazed and mongy(this just autocorrected to Monty) so went while I was feeling perky. Used to work well actually.

I'm not your dad.

Blackout curtains are a good shout for summer. I always stick earplugs in.

Edit: Not in the space where curtains should go, in my ears.