You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Week 2 of 5 weeks off. Currently sat in a bar in Sri Lanka. 

Man I love shift work. 

I have to do days until the end of May for training. It's awful having no time. You've already seen my rant about holiday as well. 

There are people at my new place that took pay cuts to do normal hours from shifts. Weird bastards. 

11 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I have to do days until the end of May for training. It's awful having no time. You've already seen my rant about holiday as well. 

There are people at my new place that took pay cuts to do normal hours from shifts. Weird bastards. 

Working longer hours/more days off > 9-5 grind.

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I felt bad with my 5 week boast because you and LF have always been my shift bros on here but you know me. 

Any prick taking pay cuts to have less days off in the year wants fingering by elephants. Stupid cunts. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

Nights are said to shorten your lifespan so not so weird in my opinion. Its also something I did myself when my kids were young.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

I felt bad with my 5 week boast because you and LF have always been my shift bros on here but you know me. 

Any prick taking pay cuts to have less days off in the year wants fingering by elephants. Stupid cunts. 

Yeah I nearly negged you for that! I'm sure you felt terrible for all of 3 whole seconds before having another beer, Boss curry and chatting up some hostel chick. 

27 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nights are said to shorten your lifespan so not so weird in my opinion. Its also something I did myself when my kids were young.

The articles I've seen base this on the proviso that nightshift workers see less daylight. I'd counter this saying I get more almostd ouble the time off of 9-5ers and tend to commute the same time as them, the main difference being I sleep while they are in an indoor office not seeing daylight. Plus I get the benefits of far more time with friends and family improving my stress and mental wellbeing. 

Still, I prefer this distorted view of shift work as it means less competition for work. 

Yeah I couldn't do the shifts if they had constant time changes like some of our guys do. I only do nights and unless I'm off for over a week I stay pretty much in night mode on my off days. Just shift a few hours. 

Work day I go to bed between 8-9am and get up 3-4pm. 

Off days

Bed 4-6am and get up 12-2pm

The difference in stress levels is worth any difference in overall health imo. 

Had my work exit interview Wednesday, that was entertaining...

Head of Care asking me why I’m leaving, offering me more money to stay. 

Tell her her I don’t want to work for the organisation as I detest their values, management are piss poor and there’s zero leadership or management. 

Her: Can you give me an example please Colin? 

Me: Well to start we could look at you asking staff you manage to falsify documents for financial gain...

The irony of them blowing smoke up my arse, telling me how amazing I am, things will change, we’ll give you more money to stay etc etc. 

Next month they’ll fucking hate me and try to slander me. 

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Kind of wish I could work nights for a few years just to switch things up. Have a job that is basic 9-5 and it's not even so much the job that stinks, it's the going to work part with all the other miserable people during the day that stinks. 

It's great if you are on your own at nights.

I'm just on site for security, a few patrols,watch the camera's and motion detectors and left alone. Litteraly nobody else here 80% of the time for 9/10 hours of my shift. And i have a wifi connection so its great. Other jobs are shit and as you get none of that and lose the ability to do the normal shit you do of a evening for your hobbies etc

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It's great if you are on your own at nights.

I'm just on site for security, a few patrols,watch the camera's and motion detectors and left alone. Litteraly nobody else here 80% of the time for 9/10 hours of my shift. And i have a wifi connection so its great. 

Your situation sounds so ideal. I don't think I could work nights long term, but in terms of the actual experience at work, what you have sounds great. 

But yeah, other night-shift jobs like nursing, I have no idea how they do it. Must be lots of burnouts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2019 at 20:19, Grinch said:

Is it not the constant switching of the body clock that isn't good for you? 

I guess it depends on how you manage it. If I want to go from being awake at day rather than night, or vice versa I just sleep more. I am pretty bloody good at sleeping though. 

I did shifts for 20 odd years and the benefits are great like no rat race commute, lot more time at home, seeing and being there for kids, dropping and picking them up for school 2 out 3 longish weekends, lot less knobheads in work etc so had a good laugh.

But I was constantly tired, narkey and my eating habits were weird so was putting weight on all the time, and drank gallons of coffee.

kids are grown up now so work flexi but do look back with pleasure at shifts.

I don't think I could go to a normal job now tbh.   I've only 5-6 days out of 28 that I need to act normal.    The rest of the time is sleeves up, swearing and sighing at anyone or anything that isn't helpful. 

Some fat cat cunt looking over me 24/7,  no thanks. 

I’m on a course during day time hours for 2 days this week. I am completely aware that my resentment and annoyance is out of all proportion to this minor interruption but it’s not making a blind bit of difference to my mood