You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

Looks like my area of the business is going to close down and be relocated elsewhere, my 4 on/4 off days are over. I want to stay in shift work but looks like everywhere else does days and nights (I currently do just nights) and don't pay anywhere near my 30% uplift, so looking at a pay cut and having to work days as well as nights even if I get a more senior role. It's also too risky to hold on for redundancy as I'm applying for a renewal on my Mrs' Spouse visa at the end of the year and have to have consistent wages coming into my bank account.

Fucking Brexit, Shithouse Tory Scumbags, Little England Thundercunts.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Been pretty pissed off at life in general of late. Works turned to shit with a load of people expecting us to provide good security with constant cut backs and not being allowed to do the job. Luckily the night supervisor is off at the end of May. I should get his job as i have been here far longer but its been promised to someone but im not arsed to be honest as it means ill be on perm nights from June 1st (just in time for World Cup). Small building on my own. Can just get on with my job amd relax. Feels like a massive weight off.

Florida in May, new shift in June

My sleep ins are changing, used to do 3 over a two week period.

From 22:30 to 07:00 we were paid £42 to sleep and then hourly rate if we were disturbed.

We now will be paid at least minimum wage to sleep in.

Means I’ll only sleep in work twice over the two week period and earn more money.

Sorry mate, but confused.

Did you get the promotion or did the other guy getting it mean you had to change to perm nights anyway?

No promotion

I asked to swap to nights when the night supervisor leaves. Really i should get his job but its been promised to someone else.

While the extra would be nice(about £150) im just as happy not getting it. Ill be getting paid to do fuck all really but monitor the coms equipment and watch football/laptop games

No promotion

I asked to swap to nights when the night supervisor leaves. Really i should get his job but its been promised to someone else.

While the extra would be nice(about £150) im just as happy not getting it. Ill be getting paid to do fuck all really but monitor the coms equipment and watch football/laptop games

Not all bad then.

Looks like my area of the business is going to close down and be relocated elsewhere, my 4 on/4 off days are over. I want to stay in shift work but looks like everywhere else does days and nights (I currently do just nights) and don't pay anywhere near my 30% uplift, so looking at a pay cut and having to work days as well as nights even if I get a more senior role. It's also too risky to hold on for redundancy as I'm applying for a renewal on my Mrs' Spouse visa at the end of the year and have to have consistent wages coming into my bank account.

Fucking Brexit, Shithouse Tory Scumbags, Little England Thundercunts.

Funny how things turn out. Still in the same job which is still on it's last legs, got a job back in April pending security clearance which is still ongoing as it is complicated by my wife being Ukrainian. In the mean time I'm learning to drive which will be very important for the new job and am happy to stay here in the mean time as it's close to work.

The last line still applies though.

• Upvote 1

I'm on my 2nd night.

I've literally done an hours work in the 3 shifts prior to this. Sat and drank fuck loads of coffee with different mates across the site. Watched the footy. Ate loads of Xmas food. A Subway. And a Chinese.

6 days off from tomorrow.

*fist bumps fellow shift workers*

• Upvote 1

I'm on my 2nd night.

I've literally done an hours work in the 3 shifts prior to this. Sat and drank fuck loads of coffee with different mates across the site. Watched the footy. Ate loads of Xmas food. A Subway. And a Chinese.

Well earned mate, 1 hour's work is fucking bullshit.

• Upvote 1

I'm on my 2nd night.

*decides my night shift tonight is now doomed*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/fe52a1f5-f355-4bfb-8d81-f93c21934561

This year you can get 24 days off in a row using just 14 days of leave

Here's the holiday hack we all need right now

Tomasz Frymorgen 4 January 2018

Christmas is over. You’re broke, back at work, and already exhausted. All that sofa lounging was for nothing. And are those weird shakes down to mince pie withdrawal?

Things might seem a little bit grim right now, and we’re not going to try and convince you there’s anything particularly good about January.

But what we will do is cast your eyes forward to something that’ll do a Hakuna Matata on your winter blues.

This year you can be super crafty and get 24 days in a row off work by using just 14 days of annual leave.

This wonderful little holiday hack is possible because the May bank holidays land so close to each other this year – just three weeks apart. The May Day, or Early May, bank holiday is on 7 May, while the Spring bank holiday is on 28 May.

So to cash in on the extra-long break you just need to book time off work from Tuesday 8 May through to Friday 25 May (inclusive). This totals 14 days of leave, but you’ll actually get 24 days off thanks to the two bank holidays and the four weekends that fall in that period.

In the previous two years, the May bank holidays were four weeks apart, meaning you’d have had to relinquish 19 of your annual leave days in order to make use of both the public holidays. (That would, however, have given you a whopping 31 days away from work in total.)

So, there’s a little present for you. Now you just need to find a boss that will let you be away from work for three weeks…

*Sniggers*

14 friggin days leave just to get 24!

Yuck.

• Upvote 1