You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

Guest Super Sub

I miss working nights. It was always good to drive down the motorway on the way home at 7am and seeing the majority of the country rushing out.

Now I'm part of the 9-5 brigade but I love that more than doing the night shifts.

Fuck that, working nights is shit. The part you are missing is when you are on your way to work at 9pm and every fucker is going home to bed.

I've scored working Christmas and boxing day when I was supposed to be off, should be a total of 24 hours at triple rate, now to see if I can get new years day.

As for the new proposals Champ, I reckon I'd prefer the 20.00-04.00 shift, but either way the shifts sound far too short.

I've recently started working weekend nights.

Fri - 15:00 - 07:00

Sat & Sun - 19:00 - 07:00

It's boss. Spend the entire time reading, sleeping or watching stuff on my phone. Then I'm home all through the week so I can take the baby out and stuff. It's only temporary for 4 months though, which means I'll have to go back to regular hours soon enough.

Guest Super Sub

Our current night shift hours are 00.30-08.30. There is a proposal going round to change the night shift to 20.00-04.00. Thoughts anyone?

The problem with changing the night shift to 20:00-04:00 is that the am shift will be 04:00-12:00. I don't think the people on the early or am shift are going to want to start at 4am because it means they will have to go to bed about 7pm.

The problem with changing the night shift to 20:00-04:00 is that the am shift will be 04:00-12:00. I don't think the people on the early or am shift are going to want to start at 4am because it means they will have to go to bed about 7pm.

We would still be covering until 08.30 when the day shift starts but the hours from 04.00 til 08.30 would be covered on a standby basis but our finishing time in the office would be 04.00 which would allow us to get home while the roads are still quiet, potentially saving me around 30 min sitting in traffic, and the chance of a bit of night time sleep. We only rarely get calls that need an immediate response after 04.00 so we are thinking we wouldnt get called back out all that often

Got a promotion at work with better prospects and more money but don't like the shifts.

Week 1 Monday 4am- 1pm

Tues-Fri. 5am-2pm

Week 2

Tues-Fri 1pm -1pm

Sat 7am-4pm

Hate working weekends and dislike not seeing my kids on week 2 but liking the money! Swings and round abouts!

Working 96 hours straight?

I assume its 1am - 1pm?

Either way, that looks like a bastard

I work offshore on a Dive support vessel and everyone onboard works 12 hour shifts. Either 0000-1200, 1200-0000, 0600-1800 or 1800-0600. The Norwegians who work either 0000-1200 or 1800-0600 get extra money because of how much working nightshifts fucks your health up. The rest of us get nothing like.... Wish we had Norwegian unions. Luckily I am a supervisor so I have to work 0600-1800.

To add to all the other health implications of shift work I was listening to a piece on the radio this morning about how shift working over a prolonged period 'ages' your brain, increasing memory and concentration problems although the damage was not seen to be permanent with people eventually recovering to 'normal ages' after stopping shift working

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...