You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

Reading through the job benefits thread got me thinking that quite a few of us work shifts and more specifically waking night shifts.

I've had several chats with Dynamite in the early hours and I know Lance is often logged on in the wee small hours.

So who else gets to be on here when it's quiet?

Reading through the job benefits thread got me thinking that quite a few of us work shifts and more specifically waking night shifts.

I've had several chats with Dynamite in the early hours and I know Lance is often logged on in the wee small hours.

So who else gets to be on here when it's quiet?

Currently just over half way through my 5th night shift of 7 this time round...

EDIT: The Big Green Bastard is another shift worker.

I do nights now and again but don't browse the forum when I do them. I'm usually in all-action blue-arsed-fly mode when I'm out on site doing nights, and not really got chance for the forum.

Well maybe a bit of Twitter and browser games but not lengthy discussion.

Currently just over half way through my 5th night shift of 7 this time round...

EDIT: The Big Green Bastard is another shift worker.

He's also a cider drinker, reckon it's gone to his head mind as we were meant to arrange a session a couple of months back and he disappeared.

I do nights now and again but don't browse the forum when I do them. I'm usually in all-action blue-arsed-fly mode when I'm out on site doing nights, and not really got chance for the forum.

Well maybe a bit of Twitter and browser games but not lengthy discussion.

i don't post much when on nights but it is a good time to read the forum and give yourself an opportunity to re-read some of the WUM posts before responding.

Was intending to post on here when I was doing my night shift last night but it was too busy and didnt get the chance.

Before a night shift I will avoid certain threads, saving them up to gve them my full attention in the wee small hours. And like the contacts we have with other people at work during the night I do think there is a certain added connection with others posting or viewing at these times.

Only do 1/2 a month but I hate them. Its not so much the night shift itself but the amount of time lost either side trying to get some sleep before and after or just feeling like shit until I manage to rejoin the time zone of the rest of those around me.

I do nights. But only really post on here up 'til midnight. Because I'm normally asleep for the remaining 6 hours.

Ted and Remmie are fellow night workers.

I'd hate to go back onto working 5 normal days a week. No no no. Getting up 5 days a week and just having 2 days off. No siree Bob. Oh and the £7k a year pay cut would also hurt.

I do nights. But only really post on here up 'til midnight. Because I'm normally asleep for the remaining 6 hours.

Ted and Remmie are fellow night workers.

I'd hate to go back onto working 5 normal days a week. No no no. Getting up 5 days a week and just having 2 days off. No siree Bob. Oh and the £7k a year pay cut would also hurt.

Ain't you supposed to be nuts deep in Asian chicks by now Rich?

For all my moaning about my night shifts shift work has really suited me and my family...no child care costs, kids being able to stay at home during school hols and not having to go to 'holiday clubs, not having to take time off from work when kids are sick, being around during the day to get chores done..the list goes on.

There is currently a restructuring review going on at work with the expectation of staff cuts in my team and people being redeployed during day time hours. I'm dreading it. The only upside of working 'regular hours' that comes readily to mind is that I would no longer be at work when 'a certain interst of mine' is being played.....

• 1 year later...

I feel your pain.

I used to do split shifts and just nights but changed to days(mistake),I'm covering for somebody tonight and feel like crap.Been up since 6am(22hrs ago) and my stomach is all over the place as I'm shattered.Made the mistake of eating a couple of hours ago and have l brought that back up.

I just want to go home to bed and still have 90mons left.

Not nice, dude.

My 11 hour shift yesterday turned into a 13 hour shift. Managed about 2 hours sleep afterwards and was back in last night at 20:30 for 11(ish) hours. Finish at 08:00, but the guy coming in on days drags out the handover every time he takes over from me...

One final shift Sunday night, 21:00 - 08:00, then 2 weeks off. Using holiday for the sake of using it, rather than losing it, as CSC won't allow us to carry holiday over to next year.

Sounds crap

I was due to be off for the next five but I'm back in for a day right in the middle now and my long weekend in two weeks has fine aswell as somebody is off to a funeral in Ghana.

Ah well,just thinking off the money and ways to spend it. Theatre tickets,resident evil,hitman and assassins creed should do the trick.

I take it these extra shifts you're doing are for overtime? I can only dream of overtime... Overtime is only available to us when we cover Christmas shifts. Every other extra is done for TOIL, which is no good when I struggle to use my full holiday quota for the year as it is.