You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Famous people you've met.

All the Smiths (when they were ex-Smiths, I'm not that old) apart from Johnny Marr. Mike Joyce was the friendliest, Andy Rourke's girlfriend shared her (and I presume his) Columbian marching powder with me and my mate, I didn't think he was very impressed with that.

Hung out with Sean Hughes and drank with him before a gig.  Friendly guy and a good laugh, died way too soon.

Met Jarvis Cocker in the Washington pub in Sheffield (it was owned at the time by Nick Banks the drummer in Pulp).

Was in the (now long gone) 'British pub' Ye Coach & Horse in LA back in 2010 and James Gandolfini walked in.  The place was dead - only our group (three lads, two girls) in there - but didn't go up to him, just nodded and said "alright" to him and he nodded back.  He was absolutely huge (size and presence).

Alan Hansen at Heathrow, 2012 and Big Jan before the Manc game in 2010.

• Upvote 1

Was in Jamaica in early 90s, all inclusive and pissed on red stripe every night.  Stood next to  Thomas Hearns at the bar one night and told him he was smaller than I expected,told me to fuck off and walked away.

Next night Jim Brown (ex NFL superstar and actor, Dirty Dozen etc)was at the bar. Trying to remember who he was I asked him if he played Shaft. Told me to fuck off and walked away.

Haven't wanted to talk to any celebrities since then, because they all appear very rude tbh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

One of my favourite boxers Michael 'second to' Nunn just accepted my friend request on Facebook.  I've arrived. 

Oh and Lennox Lewis liked a comment I made on his page a while back.. I feel like we're best friends now. 

Lennox Schmellox. The best ‘Lewis’ is the MP for Norwich South, Clive, who incidentally follows me on Twitter. I like all of my Twitter followers equally though, which means you’re better than Lennox too. 

I was Facebook friends with Derry Mathews. You’ll not be surprised to hear that he’s a fucking divvy. 

I was also Facebook friends with ‘Mad Dog’ Deon from Birmingham, who shot to fame on Jeremy Kyle. 

Deon%20Hulse%20appearing%20on%20the%20Je

Deon was nothing like Derry Mathews. Deon used to post a lot about philosophy and economics and he actually taught me a lot about life, art and politics. He got fitted up by the coppers for nicking metal frames worth £3,500 to scrap in and pay off weed debts, but that wasn’t what happened at all. He was just borrowing them to use at a street art exhibition to raise money for disadvantaged children. And also to pay off weed debts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking through a photo album searching for old pictures of my grandparents and I found this one from 1979.

I was a ballboy in the Australian Hardcourt Tennis Championships.

This is Argentinian Guillermo Vilas, world number three at the time, behind Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors.

Great bloke.

Bought me a glass of Coke a couple of times in the players lounge... while I used to try to explain the cricket on the TV to him - it was the Ashes in Australia that summer.

The photo was taken by his coach, Romanian Ion Tiriac, who went on to coach Boris Becker.

20210918_082401.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14

5 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Was looking through a photo album searching for old pictures of my grandparents and I found this one from 1979.

This is Argentinian Guillermo Vilas, world number three at the time, behind Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors.

Great bloke.

Bought me a glass of Coke a couple of times in the players lounge... while I used to try to explain the cricket on the TV to him - it was the Ashes in Australia that summer.

The photo was taken by his coach, Romanian Ion Tiriac, who went on to coach Boris Becker.

20210918_082401.jpeg

Great photograph, mate. Your hairdo is not unlike Jimmy Connors’ hair was back then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Great photograph, mate. Your hairdo is not unlike Jimmy Connors’ hair was back then.

My Mum told me to invite him and Tiriac to dinner.

But I didn't have the guts to do it.

They so would have come too, I reckon in hindsight... Mum was saying she'd cook them a Hungarian goulash.

I ball-boyed at the net in the Final, in which he beat Australian Mark Edmondson.

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Great bloke.

20210918_082401.jpeg

That fringe is clearly the product of a "mum's kitchen table haircut"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Great bloke.

20210918_082401.jpeg

That’s ace 

• Like 1