You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Famous people you've met.

My Uncle went to Madrid in the late 1960s and decided to go to watch Real Madrid. 

Got in the stadium and was just casually watching the game until he heard an American accent, he hadn't heard anyone speak English in Madrid the whole time he was there.  He turns round and starts talking to this guy. Turns out he was an actor doing a Spaghetti Western in rural Spain and had come to Madrid for a break between filming. A not very well known actor called Clint Eastwood. 

I think he tells everyone the same story within 10 minutes of meeting them. 

• Upvote 4

Neither have I,seen plenty of famous people though!

My brother knew Emlyn Hughes quite well,as Emlyn's partner Barbara worked for the same company and he would come by and pick her up from work a few times,he got me his autograph when he told him I was a red!

Chris Waddle's daughter works there now and he's met him a couple of times.

Mark Bright when he played in the city was quite chatty and my brother knew of his romance with Michelle Gayle before it became public as he was talking to him when Michelle appeared behind him and said hello.The house was right next door to the car dealership that supplied various players with cars.

• Like 1

If we're doing walking past people then I can add good ol' Derbyshire lad John Hurt to the list. Sans Alien bursting out of his stomach. Think he had just done some presentation at the artsy cinema in town. I tipped my invisible hat to him as we crossed paths. 

Jack O'Connell in the Wetherspoons in town. He's way shorter than he looks on TV.

• Like 1

I used to be mates with Steve Mcmanaman's sisters husband. Met Steve a few times, he was always sound. At the wedding (i'm guessing this is around '96) we were chatting and i said "you had a good season again there, mate, you should be proud of yourself" and this irritating bluenose that i worked with sidles up and says "i'd bet you'd rather be playing for Everton though, wouldnt you?" Mcmanaman slowly looks him up and down and then just says "no" and carries on talking to me. Glorious. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I used to be mates with Steve Mcmanaman's sisters husband. Met Steve a few times, he was always sound. At the wedding (i'm guessing this is around '96) we were chatting and i said "you had a good season again there, mate, you should be proud of yourself" and this irritating bluenose that i worked with sidles up and says "i'd bet you'd rather be playing for Everton though, wouldnt you?" Mcmanaman slowly looks him up and down and then just says "no" and carries on talking to me. Glorious. 

He was best man at my birds auntie and uncles wedding. Robbie Fowler is her nephews godfather. 

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I would have shagged him for a chance to get close to Jenny Hanley.

Ha ha. We need a thread on the most obscure celeb claim to fame.

I once went on a Smiths tour around Manchester in a mini bus driven by the unfortunate Craig Gill who used to be in the drummer in the Inspiral Carpets. Just me, Mrs williard and a couple of bemused Japanese tourists looking at Morrissey's parent’s semi detached house now lived in by different people. Craig seemed like a nice guy though, very sad what happened to him. 

On 02/09/2021 at 10:57, Elite said:

Remember meeting Warrior from Gladiator when I was a kid as he just happened to be in my area. Said he was a special guest of the local high school, in hindsight he was probably debt collecting.

Another one I met at a kids family party, about 12 months before he got caught up in naughty business. He was seeing my cousins wife’s cousin. Sound fella with us, fucking huge too.

On 02/09/2021 at 10:52, Total Longo said:

Why were you in Dave's bathroom? 

I puked down Chris and DT's wall once, still proud of that one... 

I was pricing his bathroom for a tiling job with my mate. My mate doesn’t like footy, as where Dave does and we talked about Rafa etc. 

My mates head fell off with how much Dave was talking. 

• Like 2