You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Famous people you've met.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep London especially Camden 04-06 was absolutely superb. The Libertines shone like a bright light and got put out as abruptly as it started. What a ride though 

Camden in the middle of the Britpop explosion in the mid 90's was like a who's who with band members, hangers on and wannabes everywhere, The Good Mixer was a bar you'd see at least one famous person per visit.

• Upvote 1

As a kid I breifely met Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at some event in Birmingham as they were promoting the first Men in Black and got their autograph.

I met Russell Brand as he came and did a book signing in my home town.

F******l wise I've met Phil Thompson and Kevin Phillips. Phillips used to shop in the Asda I worked at as a student and then years later he used to drink in the pub that my Mrs worked at.

The one I'm most proud of though is when I met Wolf from Gladiators as he opened the local Blockbuster Video.

• Upvote 2

I met Chris Kamara in the urinals of the pub that is now just beyond my back garden wall. It wasn’t then. 

If memory serves, he’d just been relieved of his duties as Bradford City Manager.

Although I did speak to him, he totally misheard what I said and told me I’d never amount to anything in life. 

He still lives up the road but I’ve never bumped into him in a urinal since to tell him how right he was. 

We did have a moment in a swimming pool, some years later, but it didn’t seem appropriate then. 

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I met Chris Kamara in the urinals of the pub that is now just beyond my back garden wall. It wasn’t then. 

If memory serves, he’d just been relieved of his duties as Bradford City Manager.

Although I did speak to him, he totally misheard what I said and told me I’d never amount to anything in life. 

He still lives up the road but I’ve never bumped into him in a urinal since to tell him how right he was. 

We did have a moment in a swimming pool, some years later, but it didn’t seem appropriate then. 

Incredible Geoff!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Soft Joe said:

I met Ben Kingsley the other week in work. He was ok and engaged in a bit of small talk for the 10 minutes or so I was with him. He likes to be called Sir Ben though “keeps him on his toes” apparently. I’m not into the whole knighthood thing so my estimation of him as a man plummeted when he said that.

Did you tell him that no one plays a tough ruthless hard hearted prick like he does?

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Camden in the middle of the Britpop explosion in the mid 90's was like a who's who with band members, hangers on and wannabes everywhere, The Good Mixer was a bar you'd see at least one famous person per visit.

Was it Menswear who signed their record deal in there on the back of a fag packet? 

21 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Did you tell him that no one plays a tough ruthless hard hearted prick like he does?

Remember Sir Ben when you said ...
“I fucked Jackie. Dirty cow. During what we were doing, she tried to stick her finger up my bum. I nearly hit the roof, you can imagine. I mean, what have you got to think of a woman who'd want to do that?”

3 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

I met Ben Kingsley the other week in work. He was ok and engaged in a bit of small talk for the 10 minutes or so I was with him. He likes to be called Sir Ben though “keeps him on his toes” apparently. I’m not into the whole knighthood thing so my estimation of him as a man plummeted when he said that.

The “keeps him on his toes” bit is the key there, isn’t it. Pure affectation and even worse than if he was just honest about liking to be called it out of ego/vanity. Like celebrities who put their Oscar or MBE or whatever in the downstairs toilet to supposedly show how goddam down to Earth they are, when it does the very very opposite.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Justice Negs said:

The “keeps him on his toes” bit is the key there, isn’t it. Pure affectation and even worse than if he was just honest about liking to be called it out of ego/vanity. Like celebrities who put their Oscar or MBE or whatever in the downstairs toilet to supposedly show how goddam down to Earth they are, when it does the very very opposite.

He probably finds it easier to say that rather than just be upfront about it and say I’m actually a bit of a cunt about it. It is laughable but you only have to watch the Oscars and some of the vomit inducing acceptance speeches to see how far removed from reality these people are.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

He probably finds it easier to say that rather than just be upfront about it and say I’m actually a bit of a cunt about it. It is laughable but you only have to watch the Oscars and some of the vomit inducing acceptance speeches to see how far removed from reality these people are.

Matthew Mconaugheys was ace to be fair 

35 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

Should've just showed him this clip,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Steve Davis - at the Garage(now gone) that used to be outside the clock pub on west derby road(opposite the Grafton)

I got his autograph years ago and he put his sig on it, but with a 147. I was well chuffed. 

My friend Jonathan in primary school was a big Steve Davis fan, and his mum and dad spotted his car when they were out driving (number plate THE 147S) and followed it all the way to a hotel where they got an autograph off a bemused but no doubt relieved Davis.

Sadly my friend wasn't with them and didn't get to meet his hero, but his parents came home and picked him up so he could have his photo taken next to the car.

I've met more famous but never a better moment I don't think. Celtic Park my dad had got us director seats for my 21st (We both agreed afterwards that we hate corporate and would rather be in the stands or as he put it, in with the pie & the sweat) walking back up from the bar after half time and Tommy Burns was stood talking at the top of the steps. Awe struck I just went "Alright Tommy" and he stopped his conversation, turned, grabbed my hand and went "alright son" with the warmth of a man who would stop for anyone. A truly great fella. I remember leaving an exes house one morning to go home and get changed for work (the day after r*ngers smashed manchester to pieces) and my Dad texting me to tel me the great man had passed away. Got into mine and had a box of old programmes under my bed that I took from my dads to read while I was away. The programme on the top was Tommy Burns testimonial against Liverpool. I sat holding it and cried my eyes out. 

06793.jpg EcEs5iWWsAE5c4t.jpg

ECbjgQBWsAQDaG3.jpg

One of the greatest men to have walked the earth. Says a lot about the man that two of the men that carried his coffin were Walter Smith and Ally McCoist. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4