You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Organ Donor, you in?

Guest davelfc

Will you opt in as an organ donor?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will you opt in as an organ donor?

• Yes or I do already
    • No
    • None of your business

I've been an organ doner ever since I started motorbiking but now I am thinking of cancelling it because basically I don't want some mong getting my organs.

If I was 21 with loads of healthy slimey bits and pieces I'd understand but the older I get, the less likely I want to donate my bits to some bellend I've never met who is probably a cunt. My gizzards are pretty battered anyway.

I used to believe that all the folks who need organs are all the ace people you read in the paper who are desperate - but I bet some of them are proper wankers so I ain't gonna take that chance. My gizzards are getting buried with me. Fuck it. Imagine if some drug dealer who terrorises a neighbourhood is dying coz of a broken liver and the whole neighbourhood is like 'thank fuck'. Then some dickhead goes and dies and his liver goes into the drug dealer and... "HEYYOOO I'M BACK!"

When your time is up, your time is up. They need to make something on the donor form so that there has to be a vetting process as to who gets my gizzards. It would probably be like , does this person have a respectable living, is this person white? etc. Not a racist, just prefer my gizzards go to a white person.

Fucking hell, mate, that is the definition of racism. Hopefully you're just about to say that you've had us at it, and your just yanking the liberal chain to see if you can get a rise.

??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to carry a donor card until I went out with a medical student for a few years. She refused to carry one and said that very few doctors or med students did, because of the perception that if you're in a pretty grave state they start to view you as a collection of parts rather than a living (ie with even a glimmer of hope) being, and actually had seen this a couple of times. This was back in the 90s though, and things may well have changed; I'd be interested in what the current uptake is in the 'trade' now, as both transplant medicine and critical care have advanced a lot.

I've told my missus to go ahead with donation, but only if I've gone or the finger is hovering over the switch before the decision is made.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This is how I see it too. I am against an opt-out scheme by the way, as I think it should always be voluntary, but I do agree that more should be done to get people to sign up and this is therefore a good scheme.

Polling suggests that the vast majority of people are willing to leave at least some of their organs behind to help others, but the amount of those who are registered as donors is dramatically less. Something needs to fill the gap, which is why I think we should, as part of a special NHS budget, offer an easy to fill-in form with every passport, driving licence, medical check-up, university enrolment, voting card and many more everyday forms. Fuck it, if we can send out the census, why can't we send a form out to every house in Britain, along with associated propaganda.

They can have my Hammond when they prise it out of my cold, dead fingers.

Oh. Wait.

I'm not too bothered what happens to my innards once I'm brown bread, anyone would be welcome to whatever is servicable on the inside. Just so long as they feed what's left to the cats. I've always had it in my head to give them one last good meal.

I dont drive but im on the register anyway.Also on the register that they can have my body when im dead aswell.Lets face it i will not need it and no point spending over three grand to burn it and a wooden box.

Yeah, the sex offenders register!

Your organs are yours to give, not the state's to take unless you say no.

What you're proposing would fundamentally alter the relationship between the individual and the state. Not under this government.

Even when "you" no longer exist? I think if you want to be a selfish cunt then you should have to fill a form in to say that you want to be one, other than that we just presume you're not.

The last part is just silly. If the Tories wanted to organ farm the poor and Labour disagreed you could happily abstain from voting and pretend you did all you could, as it's strategically convenient. There's be no state if this government had it's way.

If you are not on the list of donors you should be at the bottom of the list for transplants.

Shall we extend this principle yet further? How about "if you don't pay tax, you should be at the bottom of the list for government services"? Still sound like a good idea?

I agree, but we should be doing much more to get people to opt in.

I believe that's what this driving licence thing is all about.

This government being the beacon of liberty, of course. The relationship is becoming 'unless you're rich, you can get fucked'.

I don't think the government is "the beacon of liberty" but you can reasonably expect them to recognise that individual rights trump the rights of the state, something the last government seemed to have a lot of trouble with.

Even when "you" no longer exist?

Well, I think probate would be a pretty dead legal field if society didn't respect a person's wishes after death.

I think if you want to be a selfish cunt then you should have to fill a form in to say that you want to be one, other than that we just presume you're not.

Great idea, maybe we can have the state take people's property after death too unless they leave a will?

The last part is just silly. If the Tories wanted to organ farm the poor and Labour disagreed you could happily abstain from voting and pretend you did all you could, as it's strategically convenient.

You call my post silly and then write that? Honestly :whatever:

Well, I think probate would be a pretty dead legal field if society didn't respect a person's wishes after death.

Great idea, maybe we can have the state take people's property after death too unless they leave a will?

You call my post silly and then write that? Honestly :whatever:

Property isn't the same as your organs, is it? Your kids can't live in your organs. I actually think a lot of your stuff should come back to the rest of society when you die. I see reason why it shouldn't. Why should someone be allowed to pass more than one home down through their family? But then I'd brutally tax second homes too.

Your post was silly. If you said "Not under this government" in a room of vaguley sentient beings they would collapse on the floor laughing. I apologise if you don't agree with that statement but I did all I could to stop it from being posted.*

*I had all the power to stop it from happening but didn't want to for other reasons.

Property isn't the same as your organs, is it? Your kids can't live in your organs. I actually think a lot of your stuff should come back to the rest of society when you die. I see reason why it shouldn't. Why should someone be allowed to pass more than one home down through their family? But then I'd brutally tax second homes too.

Property isn't the same as organs, but the principle of respecting a person's wishes even after death applies to both.

Not really the place to get into inheritance, but most people are probably aware that I am a big fan of inheritance tax as a means of limiting accumulation of wealth, and being able to put the mockers on the Tory inheritance tax cut was probably worth going into coalition on its own.

Property isn't the same as organs, but the principle of respecting a person's wishes even after death applies to both.

Not really the place to get into inheritance, but most people are probably aware that I am a big fan of inheritance tax as a means of limiting accumulation of wealth, and being able to put the mockers on the Tory inheritance tax cut was probably worth going into coalition on its own.

Yes, but it's not about respecting people's wishes, Dog. A lot of people are happy to have their organs used and they don't get used, just as anyone who wished strongly enough that they to not be a donor could have their wishes respected.

Sorry, that argument doesn't stand up.

National Insurance card, passport, drivers licence, benefits 'book' all give an opportunity to opt out, just a single tick in a box and your organs will not be used.

Nothing recorded on these and the assumption is you are happy for organs to be donated.

I'd also get rid of the family being able to veto a persons wishes.

Guest davelfc

I'm sure I read somewhere that there would be no waiting lists if there was an opt out as doctors could use organs and there would be plenty.

My only concerns would then be the harvest of organs for sale, you know abroad. I've no problem with a foreigner having my organs, but I'd hate to see a system where it was more profitable to send them away for cash than to give them to people here.

Maybe I'm being daft there, the nhs wouldn't do that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Even when "you" no longer exist?

I think I have more rights over my organs after I'm dead than the states does, yeah.

I think we can all acknowledge the problem of too few organs, but the solution needs to be comfortable with everybody. Giving many more people the option, and then making that option binding even when the family don't want it, could solve both problems; the objects to opt-in, and the lack of organs.

Fucking hell, mate, that is the definition of racism. Hopefully you're just about to say that you've had us at it, and your just yanking the liberal chain to see if you can get a rise.

??

I've just had you's at it, and I'm just yanking the liberal chain to see if I can get a rise. Not really, I would rather my liver went to a person from the same background as me same as I'd rather it went to a hard-worker rather than a scrounger - my organs, my rules. I could go into how the blood bank doesn't want my blood either so how come my organs are wanted but not my blood?

I've just had you's at it, and I'm just yanking the liberal chain to see if I can get a rise. Not really, I would rather my liver went to a person from the same background as me same as I'd rather it went to a hard-worker rather than a scrounger - my organs, my rules. I could go into how the blood bank doesn't want my blood either so how come my organs are wanted but not my blood?

We don't want that gay stuff being spread do we?!

Wasnt sure whether I was going to reply to this as it still has the power to make me feel quite emotional about the whole thing. My niece was born with a complex syndrome, the most significant feature being that her liver did not work properly. From an early stage it was apparent that things were seriously wrong as her liver began to fail. She was hospitalised near to home and later was moved to Birmingham Children's hospital where she and my sister lived for a number of months until she had her transplant and then recovered enough to allow her to return home. She was 9 months old when she had her transplant.

We were told that the liver donor was a man. His liver was shared between my niece and another recipient. I cant imagine what life would be like if she had not survived. And however can you thank the donor and his family for giving permission for his organs to be used for the benefit of others after his death.

We don't want that gay stuff being spread do we?!

Exactly. So if I had the big gay plague (which I don't, I'm the postman, not the letterbox), my organs would too surely? Besides, would one rather not have a liver and die in two weeks, or have a bit of an AIDSy liver and live for 10-15 years before dying of the ol' bumfuck-bug? Its a strange one.

When daddy or chips is down, I'd take the poison chalice liver and survive for X numbe of years with HIV rather than die from no liver at all.