You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

F1 going to Sky

Guest davelfc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should allow privateers in F1 and force manufacturer's to offer their cars for sale (at a maximum price) as if to say - "Come and have a go if your hard (and rich) enough". Should spice things up a bit.

Until then, Sky are welcome to F1. As someone said above, they're both fucking leeches who've sold out their core-audience and are well suited. As for the BBC, they'll show more athletics no doubt. Maybe WRC will make a comeback?

I have a interested in F1 that's about it.

I do watch the races of I an at work,other than that I flick the race on and off while watching other sports.

The Senna documentary was really well done and worth watching.

I wish the BBC would spend the budget on something decent,the wont show boxing thanks to Fraudley do no doubt athletics,rowing or more crap.

They should allow privateers in F1 and force manufacturer's to offer their cars for sale (at a maximum price) as if to say - "Come and have a go if your hard (and rich) enough". Should spice things up a bit.

They already do, which is why you get so many fucking shit drivers at the smaller teams who via sponsorship from their own country or personal wealth, essentially pay for the seat.

Like that shit Jap who everyone hated and couldn't actually drive, Taka Inoue

In regards to the Saftey car rule,its frustration if its the driver your watching but its just the rules of the sport and makes a race that looks to be have won a race again.

Drivers paying for their seats is something that frustrates me, it used to be you worked your way up from the lower classes and you drive was becase you fully deserved it.

Sky f1 channel will no doubt be great but im sad its leaving terrestrial TV.

They already do, which is why you get so many fucking shit drivers at the smaller teams who via sponsorship from their own country or personal wealth, essentially pay for the seat.

Briatore once got his girlfriend an F1 drive - think she only did a handful of races tho.

bring back rallycross

[YOUTUBE]S-k4GLjDObw[/YOUTUBE]

If only. I think sadly the death of the likes of Grandstand removed lots of the minor sports from the public eye. Also anyone remember Kickstart and the like?

The British championship is fairly strong at the moment and the European scene is still very impressive. British Rallycross GP was on at Croft 6th November and more or less passed by without anyone noticing.

It's on Sky, but like every other sport bar football they don't really push it.

Maybe WRC will make a comeback?

WRC looks like it is growing in strength again, few manufacturers returning with the new regs after the two way Ford/Citroen battles of recent years. VW are back next year and the Minis have been competitive on the small number of events they have done this year. Plus rumours of one or two other manufacturers potentially making a come back. The current regs have levelled the playing field a little, also allowing some privateer teams to run reasonably competitively for the first time since the 70's really.

Coverage is tied to Motors TV for the round up type show till the end of 2012 if I remember rightly. And I think ESPN still have a deal up till the end of 2012 for the daily shows and the little bits of live stages they do.

That said the company who deals with the TV rights for WRC is in administration now so god knows what is going to happen there. The FIA and the rights holders have been trying to do a Bernie with rallying for a few years now and generally speaking got it less publicity as a result.

Rather than sticking to what the sport used to be about they have bastardised it to try and pander to the tv audiences to the detriment of the sport.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ShoePiss

Just watching a bit of practise, I might get into it again this season after a very long time away. Should be easier with Sky most likely repeating everything on the F1 channel. Nice to see a Lotus in F1, especially in black and gold.

Just watching a bit of practise, I might get into it again this season after a very long time away. Should be easier with Sky most likely repeating everything on the F1 channel. Nice to see a Lotus in F1, especially in black and gold.

Was about to start abusing you for favouring sky over the beeb, then remembered you are in the US. A narrow escape. On an unrelated note, does anybody else get annoyed by the fact that the spell checker thing on here is american? Can I change it into proper english so words like favouring don't have a red line underneath them?

Guest ShoePiss
Was about to start abusing you for favouring sky over the beeb, then remembered you are in the US. A narrow escape. On an unrelated note, does anybody else get annoyed by the fact that the spell checker thing on here is american? Can I change it into proper english so words like favouring don't have a red line underneath them?

It depends on the browser you're using, if you're using firefox do a right click in where you type and choose languages, you'll then download the British English spell checker. I hadn't bothered to do this until just now :)

If you're using Firefox, right-click in an empty field (ie when you're replying to someone). Select 'Languages' then 'Add Dictionaries' then install the 'English/United Kingdom' dictionary. You'll have to restart, after that follow the above procedure up until the 'Languages' bit. You'll have a choice of available dictionaries, select the UK one.

Guest ShoePiss
Seeing Georgie Thompson wearing what she's wearing today has put me off a fair bit. She doesn't look good.

Really like the helmet cam though.

I assume she is the woman who sounds like she smokes cigars. Pencil skirt and beer belly isn't a good combo is it?

Loving the coverage, just watching the very end of qualifying.

Lazenby isnt a patch on Humphries. Why do all Sky presenters talk with those annoying pauses mid sentance all the time, properly fucking getting on my tits. Getting Croft in as main race commentator is a good move by sky, he was ace with Davidson on Five live and seems to be gelling well with Brundle. Getting Kravitz has given their coverage some good continuity with last year and Pinkham seems to be doing a good job in the interviews.

Impressive so far.