You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

F1 going to Sky

Guest davelfc

For everyone saying blah blah blah f1 is boring you would rather have anything else on.

Well, think about it this way. On a Sunday afternoon, what the fuck do you think will replace the F1 for a couple of hours?

Yes, it will be some fucking program about the countryside, maybe some middle class fuckers want to move there, maybe they want to move out, maybe they want to shoot foxes, maybe it will be some serial documentary about gardens.

Or even worse, it'll be yet another antiques fucking show about people who have a vase that has been handed down from their great grandmother who so happened to have shared copious glasses of wine with royalty.

Basically, it will be programming for cunts.

Either way, it will be utter, complete, unadulterated shit.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone saying blah blah blah f1 is boring you would rather have anything else on.

Well, think about it this way. On a Sunday afternoon, what the fuck do you think will replace the F1 for a couple of hours?

Yes, it will be some fucking program about the countryside, maybe some middle class fuckers want to move there, maybe they want to move out, maybe they want to shoot foxes, maybe it will be some serial documentary about gardens.

Or even worse, it'll be yet another antiques fucking show about people who have a vase that has been handed down from their great grandmother who so happened to have shared copious glasses of wine with royalty.

Basically, it will be programming for cunts.

Either way, it will be utter, complete, unadulterated shit.

your worng it'll be Eastenders and then either a repeat of shit show will be broadcast on bbc2 or some old film

Guest San Don

F1 is more corrupt than football what with team orders and the like. If football had the manufactured results that F1 has there'd be a massive outcry.

Much rather watch Superbikes and BTCC myself.

Sky had F1 before. They had same cameras on PPV if i remember, like a Pit Cam and drivers cam or something like that. It was shit

Thank you. I thought I'd imagined it. It was shit the last time they had it and very quickly went back to free to view.

I'm amazed at how their previous attempt hasn't been better reported with this news

I'll just have to watch half the season on BBC1 then, and Sky can fuck right off.

Won't pay them for footie, so won't be getting fuck all out of me for F1 neither.

And as for anyone slagging off 'modern' F1, didn't think you watched it anymore, so how do you know it's shite?

Cracking last couple of seasons. DRS etc no different to other inventions in F1 over the the years. Thats what happens.

I did watch the first few races, but it's just not the same, you know a pass is going to happen and more importantly you know that the driver did fuck all to earn it other than be within 1 second of the car ahead at an FIA-defined zone on the track. I voted with my remote control and gave up.

DRS is totally different to other inventions and innovations in F1's past. Things like Cooper's rear-engined car, the monocoque or ground-effect Lotuses, the fuel injection Mercs, six-wheeled Tyrrells, Brabham fan car, semi-auto gearbox Ferrari or traction control Williams were inventions by individual teams to gain an advantage over the opposition - which is half of what the sport is meant to be about. This is a device put on all cars used to artificially make cars go past each other at an FIA-defined zone because a few overly-precious people in charge got a bit offended when a few races didn't have much overtaking (shock horror - it happens, just like 0-0 draws in f*******, doesn't mean the whole sport has gone to shit).

If this abomination had been around for longer then legendary defensive drives like Villeneuve's in Spain '81 or Senna's in Monaco '92 would have been nothing more than Reutemann and Mansell respectively flicking a switch and cruising past on the straight for the win.

It's the equivalent of a f******* team being forced to take their goalkeeper off for a minute or two if they are one goal ahead at a certain point in the game.

Sometimes you can't win. If there's overtaking, it's "shit". If there's no overtaking, it's "shit". It's a race, overtaking is allowed. It's not quite reached Moto GP level yet, but it's a start.

There's 4 weeks to the next race. BBC's next coverage is in 4 weeks. No preview/review shows, no feature programmes, no repeat screenings, no marketing, no promotional material until they're practically out of the pit lane in Spa. And people are happy with that?

I did watch the first few races, but it's just not the same, you know a pass is going to happen and more importantly you know that the driver did fuck all to earn it other than be within 1 second of the car ahead at an FIA-defined zone on the track. I voted with my remote control and gave up.

DRS is totally different to other inventions and innovations in F1's past. Things like Cooper's rear-engined car, the monocoque or ground-effect Lotuses, the fuel injection Mercs, six-wheeled Tyrrells, Brabham fan car, semi-auto gearbox Ferrari or traction control Williams were inventions by individual teams to gain an advantage over the opposition - which is half of what the sport is meant to be about. This is a device put on all cars used to artificially make cars go past each other at an FIA-defined zone because a few overly-precious people in charge got a bit offended when a few races didn't have much overtaking (shock horror - it happens, just like 0-0 draws in f*******, doesn't mean the whole sport has gone to shit).

If this abomination had been around for longer then legendary defensive drives like Villeneuve's in Spain '81 or Senna's in Monaco '92 would have been nothing more than Reutemann and Mansell respectively flicking a switch and cruising past on the straight for the win.

It's the equivalent of a f******* team being forced to take their goalkeeper off for a minute or two if they are one goal ahead at a certain point in the game.

Very good post and something I largely agree with.

Its crap knowing only 4 or 5 drivers are ever going to win and which teams are always gonna occupy the first few places on pole is not very interesting.

Its common knowledge that most of the small teams are just the big teams reserve sides and that creates even less competition.

Why cant everybody drive the same car so its all about who is the best driver rather than best car?

Very good post and something I largely agree with.

Why cant everybody drive the same car so its all about who is the best driver rather than best car?

They did that and nobody was interested. GP1 I think. There are other levels where everybody drives the same car.

I'd go with the same aerodynamics and base components and allow them to develop whatever they like. That way they may invent something useful for normal cars again.

• 3 months later...

Although only on BBCs F1 gossip page

BBC Sport - F1 - Formula 1 gossip and rumours from international media

'Western Europe is "finished" as a top Formula 1 racing destination and will soon host only five races, according to the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone. He did not name which races in Europe he thought would survive, but said he wanted to keep the total number of races in a season at 20 while expanding to Russia and considering new locations such as South Africa and Mexico'

Eccelstone is realy on his way to ruining F1, not only was it his decision to sell what for year was a terrestial protected sport to Sky. he is also talking about losing alot of the european tracks in favor of bigger money moves to the likes of Mexico, dubia, southafrica etc.

I have grown up loving this as a sport its sad to see it turning like this for profit.

A couple of things over the past few years that have pissed me off.

No fuel stops-stoping tactical racing.

talk of artifical rain to make it more exciting.

the rule that was brought in then scarapped about changing the points system.

I surpose it is like any other sport in the fact that its now a buisness and no longer just a competative race but thats really sad that its gone this way.

there are many other decisions hes made that in my eyes has killed F1.

Ecclestone wanted F1 to stay on the BBC.

Really? apologies if thats the case, but in my eyes he has done alot of things, I am probably wrong 'just' blaiming him as there is probably a huge board who make decisons but when I saw that it just does my head in.

'Western Europe is "finished" as a top Formula 1 racing destination and will soon host only five races, according to the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone. He did not name which races in Europe he thought would survive, but said he wanted to keep the total number of races in a season at 20 while expanding to Russia and considering new locations such as South Africa and Mexico' /QUOTE]

Bernie seems more impressed by a tracks aesthetic value rather than the racing it generates. Valencia, Turkey, Singapore are shite compared to former tracks like Imola.

Imola was bastardised beyond belief in the wake of the Ratzenberger/Senna deaths in 1994. So no surprise that was taken off the roster. But if Ecclestone thinks yet another anodyne Tilke circuit in Sri Lanka is better than say, Spa, then i'll have had it with Formula 1. I was obsessed with it as a teenager and into my early 20's. After Senna died, it was never quite the same, for lots of different reasons.

I don't know a lot about F1, only watch the odd start (and usually the Monaco race) in hope for a crash, but isn't the whole "F1 is a sport" thing rendered ridiculous by the fact that no matter how big your lead is, if one of the girls behind you smashes her Daewoo into a brick wall, the safety car will come out and annihilate your lead? I mean what the fuck is that? I have seen it plenty of times that leads were reduced multiple times during a race by this. Pathetic.

I don't know a lot about F1, only watch the odd start (and usually the Monaco race) in hope for a crash, but isn't the whole "F1 is a sport" thing rendered ridiculous by the fact that no matter how big your lead is, if one of the girls behind you smashes her Daewoo into a brick wall, the safety car will come out and annihilate your lead? I mean what the fuck is that? I have seen it plenty of times that leads were reduced multiple times during a race by this. Pathetic.

What are they supposed to do? Make sure everyone slows right down but then keep equidistant to where they were to the cars in front and back prior to the crash? Or just keep driving at 200mph when there may be debris or an actual car stationary on the circuit? Both impossible.

Imola was bastardised beyond belief in the wake of the Ratzenberger/Senna deaths in 1994. So no surprise that was taken off the roster.

Senna's crash wasn't that big as F1 crashes go and more a failure of the safety cell. Ratzenberger had a wing failure, which still happens.

We still race at Spa but look at the 1960 Belgium GP. Both tracks and cars do evolve to make racing safer but you can never be entirely sure at 180mph.

It seems a lot motor sport is watched to observe crashes and overtaking,including bumps and spin offs that overtaking causes yet very little of that happens any more.

Plus that at every race its like half a dozen high end road cars racing against your average ford focus and fiestas which have absolutely no chance of winning.

The biggest gripe about f******l is that only a couple of teams can ever win,ditto F1.

As a sport its so sterile and its more about what happens off the track than on it.