You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

F1 going to Sky

Guest davelfc

Guest davelfc

Sky Sports has snatched the rights to show every Formula One race live from next season in another devastating setback for the BBC.

With the new share-deal, it is the first time that F1 will not be solely shown on terrestrial TV.

From 2012, Sky will double up on the races shown by the BBC, including qualifying and practice, and will screen the others exclusively live.

It is understood that they are not planning to screen adverts during their race coverage.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of motor racing's elite sport in the UK since 2009 but will now scale back their coverage.

The BBC will only show half the races plus the qualifying and practice sessions, including the British Grand Prix.

The terrestrial broadcaster will cover the others via a highlights programme, while Radio 5Live's coverage remains unchanged.

The BBC's contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season and have long been considering their plans for the sport for financial reasons.

The announcement came as BSkyB revealed a 23 per cent increase in profits to £1.1billion. Its subscriber base has increased by 40,000.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone told the BBC: 'It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport. We get the best of both worlds.'

The BBC's F1 frontman Jake Humphrey was philosophical about the announcement. He tweeted: 'Touching messages of support on Twitter. Keeping some perspective tho, F1 remains on the BBC, and after news of 1 week ago, it's only sport.'

Martin Brundle, BBC's lead F1 commentator tweeted: 'Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed.'

Read more: Sky Sports wins rights to show F1 with BBC | Mail Online

Ecclestone you money grabbing bastard!

This will ruin F1 for a lot of people. Sky have been talking this up, saying it will be great for F1 fans as they'll give it the 'sky treatment'

I'd only just drifted back to F1 after getting fed up with it, this is only more likely to make me wander away again.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will undoubtedly fuck it up. I quite liked Flintoff's take on it on twatter though:

"I hear sky have got the F1 next year, the adverts might make it more interesting!"

Personally I haven't been able to watch it for years; it's just not as exciting as it used to be in the days of Senna and Mansell.

Guest davelfc
It will undoubtedly fuck it up. I quite liked Flintoff's take on it on twatter though:

"I hear sky have got the F1 next year, the adverts might make it more interesting!"

Personally I haven't been able to watch it for years; it's just not as exciting as it used to be in the days of Senna and Mansell.

Shame Flintoff didn't know they don't plan to show adverts during the race then. But that's a bit rich coming from a cricket player, I mean I'd rather die a slow and painful death than be subject to fucking cricket FFS.

It was and still can be boring but I've found with DRS it's becoming more interesting. I only hope they keep Brundle, mainly because he actually knows his stuff.

Sky Sports has snatched the rights to show every Formula One race live from next season in another devastating setback for the BBC.

With the new share-deal, it is the first time that F1 will not be solely shown on terrestrial TV.

From 2012, Sky will double up on the races shown by the BBC, including qualifying and practice, and will screen the others exclusively live.

It is understood that they are not planning to screen adverts during their race coverage.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of motor racing's elite sport in the UK since 2009 but will now scale back their coverage.

The BBC will only show half the races plus the qualifying and practice sessions, including the British Grand Prix.

The terrestrial broadcaster will cover the others via a highlights programme, while Radio 5Live's coverage remains unchanged.

The BBC's contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season and have long been considering their plans for the sport for financial reasons.

The announcement came as BSkyB revealed a 23 per cent increase in profits to £1.1billion. Its subscriber base has increased by 40,000.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone told the BBC: 'It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport. We get the best of both worlds.'

The BBC's F1 frontman Jake Humphrey was philosophical about the announcement. He tweeted: 'Touching messages of support on Twitter. Keeping some perspective tho, F1 remains on the BBC, and after news of 1 week ago, it's only sport.'

Martin Brundle, BBC's lead F1 commentator tweeted: 'Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options Not impressed.'

Read more: Sky Sports wins rights to show F1 with BBC | Mail Online

Ecclestone you money grabbing bastard!

This will ruin F1 for a lot of people. Sky have been talking this up, saying it will be great for F1 fans as they'll give it the 'sky treatment'

I'd only just drifted back to F1 after getting fed up with it, this is only more likely to make me wander away again.

Ecclestone claiming it wasn't them who made the decision, BBC are making cuts and this is the first big one I think.

Wouldn't be surprised if the football went back to ITV either.

wouldnt mind if it was the practice and maybe the qualifying on sky, like it used to be on Eurosport with just the race's live on BBC, the BBC could cut the hour before the race aswel like they do with Motogp.

but dont like the idea of half the races on sky, half on BBC.

used to like watching the grand prix practice on Eurosport

[YOUTUBE]KPEMUW_54H8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Formula 1 isn't a sport - it's a bunch of rich kids from well-off families driving round in circles for a bit every so often. Some have faster cars than others, so they usually win. It's about as interesting to watch as a vintage snooker match between Cliff Thorburn and Terry Griffiths. I'm glad some of the licence fee isn't being wasted on this shit any more.

In any event, Sky will do a better job on showing it, just like they have the football. For those that can't afford Sky, well you can just fucking do without then can't you? You don't have a god-given right to watch these things.

I would have been REALLY fucking up in arms about this not so long ago, but thanks to DRS and the deliberately shit tyres I've stopped watching altogether this year as it's just a joke. Not being able to watch cars take special overtaking shortcut lanes, artificially watered tracks, qualifying decided by lottery, or Alonso smashing Hamilton over the head with a plywood chair inside a cage while Vince Mc...I mean Bernie Ecclestone appeals for calm, or whatever insane idea they come up with to improve "the show" next, doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore.

Can't believe this used to be my favourite sport (ahead of ********) for the last part of my tens, all of my teens and early 20s.

As long as I can catch Le Mans on Eurosport (kind of like Test Cricket to F1's T20) and as long I have my old historic tapes from the Senna/Mansell/Prost years and earlier (as well as videos on the internet), I'll be fine.

Very risky as F1 is funded by sponsors and it's a mass audiences they want not ppv. On the Beeb they'll probably have 7m, on Sky they'll struggle for 1m. OK for some teams but those with sponsors with UK interests will be worried they'll want to pay less if reaching a smaller audience.

but dont like the idea of half the races on sky, half on BBC.

No no no noooooooooo, the BBC get to show half the races live, including the British and Monaco GP's, and have highlights of the rest.

Sky are showing ALL of the races live.

A man who plays cricket taking the piss out of another sport, jesus wept

Who's that? If referring to me I can assure you I don't play it or even closely follow it (Ashes and all that aside). I was merely making the cricket analogy to compare two different types of motor sport.

And I was only taking the piss out of modern F1, not what it was for the majority of its history, or motor sport as a whole (some of which is still actual competition rather than dressed up sports entertainment)

I'll just have to watch half the season on BBC1 then, and Sky can fuck right off.

Won't pay them for footie, so won't be getting fuck all out of me for F1 neither.

And as for anyone slagging off 'modern' F1, didn't think you watched it anymore, so how do you know it's shite?

Cracking last couple of seasons. DRS etc no different to other inventions in F1 over the the years. Thats what happens.

Have just started to watch it a bit with my sons and while not a massive fan have quite enjoyed the spectacle and talking points/controversy that goes with it.

Now I will just bin it off cos I'm not paying money to watch it and not to that aussie meglomaniac and prize wanker.

The same disdain applies to Ecclestone and his cronies too,you're all a bunch of wankers and this fuckin country does my head in,if its popular lets make the peasants pay through the nose for it,not here though.