You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

So 3 days after remembering d day,the right wing media and the gammons are drooling at the thought of nazis in power.

You'd ask some of the old lads who are still around if they ever wonder why they bothered, but I wouldn't want to upset them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

You'd ask some of the old lads who are still around if they ever wonder why they bothered, but I wouldn't want to upset them.

It just goes to show the right literally couldn't give a fuck about those people who lost their lives fighting nazis 

European elections always produce a number of weirdo MEPs because of low turnouts, this time nationalist populist right and far right made a special propaganda effort, because they can make more gains here (and they are on the offensive anyway). And they are mostly not Nazis, so D-day comments are pretty off the mark here.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

European elections always produce a number of weirdo MEPs because of low turnouts, this time nationalist populist right and far right made a special propaganda effort, because they can make more gains here (and they are on the offensive anyway). And they are mostly not Nazis, so D-day comments are pretty off the mark here.

Yep

Definitely not nazis 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4099073

8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I took a glance at the replies,I.shouldnt have bothered. 

In the 1930s the rise of far right groups led to ww2 and the horrors of the holocaust.. its refreshing to know people have learnt from history.

• Upvote 1

For the first time, 16-year-olds in Germany were able to vote in the 2024 European Parliament elections. The far-right populist Alternative for Germany party's targeted social media campaign appears to have paid off.

How Germany's Far Right Won Over Young Voters

https://www.dw.com/en/afd-how-germanys-far-right-won-over-young-voters/a-69324954

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

For the first time, 16-year-olds in Germany were able to vote in the 2024 European Parliament elections. The far-right populist Alternative for Germany party's targeted social media campaign appears to have paid off.

How Germany's Far Right Won Over Young Voters

https://www.dw.com/en/afd-how-germanys-far-right-won-over-young-voters/a-69324954

Hitler youth

Far right is rising because politicians cannot find and formulate answers to people's fears and real or perceived grievances. And like left wing ideas, it is also cyclical.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Far right is rising because politicians cannot find and formulate answers to people's fears and real or perceived grievances. And like left wing ideas, it is also cyclical.

Labour was being savaged on Twitter by left wingers yesterday for announcing it would crack down on antisocial behaviour. The general tone of response was "who the fuck cares". I don't think it's any wonder people turn to the right to address their problems when there are large chunks of the left denying that those problems even exist. It's so utterly self-defeating I could bang my head against the wall.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Social media, inequality and poor education is at the root of this. These platforms seem to set the debate, political parties then walk on eggshells or stir hatred so there is little discussion around policy.

12 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Labour was being savaged on Twitter by left wingers yesterday for announcing it would crack down on antisocial behaviour. The general tone of response was "who the fuck cares". I don't think it's any wonder people turn to the right to address their problems when there are large chunks of the left denying that those problems even exist. It's so utterly self-defeating I could bang my head against the wall.

I think people get lost and end up bickering over who cares the most or shows they're the most outraged. Kind of like evertonians competing over who hates the redshite the most whilst being blind to why they're so shit. I feel I may be waffling now, I will now stop.

12 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Social media, inequality and poor education is at the root of this. These platforms seem to set the debate, political parties then walk on eggshells or stir hatred so there is little discussion around policy.

I'd say the root is simple, safe solutions offered to complex issues in a changing world on one hand, and delusional beliefs offered as solutions on the other. Social media is just a tool, although very helpful in fostering extremism or indoctrinating people through steady diets of one-sided information.  Plus, the world moves in cycles, pendulum swings, we rush to one side, than to the other, while we wait for rapture or end of our generally meaningless existence. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I'd say the root is simple, safe solutions offered to complex issues in a changing world on one hand, and delusional beliefs offered as solutions on the other. Social media is just a tool, although very helpful in fostering extremism or indoctrinating people through steady diets of one-sided information.  Plus, the world moves in cycles, pendulum swings, we rush to one side, than to the other, while we wait for rapture or end of our generally meaningless existence. 

True dat. Every word.

The girl in Greggs said exactly the same thing when we had a chat about politics whilst waiting for the sausage rolls. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

True dat. Every word.

The girl in Greggs said exactly the same thing when we had a chat about politics whilst waiting for the sausage rolls. 

I don't mind a bacon and sausage baguette or roll but certain Greggs seem to practice sausage austerity.