You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

It’s been defunded, it’s been discredited.

Just apply the same standards.

It hasn't been "defunded".  It's a charity established by the Government with some initial start-up funding.  That funding expired and was not renewed. (The Telegraph claim that there was "a spat" with the founder of Tell MAMA before this.)

It hasn't been "discredited" - it's been criticised by the Telegraph, five years ago.  It's still going strong.

I don't know what "Just apply the same standards" is referring to.

And, in any case, none of this changes the fact that the working definition is a useful example of how hate speech can be distinguished from free speech.

It hasn't been "defunded".  It's a charity established by the Government with some initial start-up funding.  That funding expired and was not renewed. (The Telegraph claim that there was "a spat" with the founder of Tell MAMA before this.)

It hasn't been "discredited" - it's been criticised by the Telegraph, five years ago.  It's still going strong.

I don't know what "Just apply the same standards" is referring to.

And, in any case, none of this changes the fact that the working definition is a useful example of how hate speech can be distinguished from free speech.

You knew nothing about them an hour ago.

I was referring mostly to their figureheads and cheerleaders in politics and also mainstream and alternative media, yes. But I also think the “we have to have a conversation with fascists and beat them with logic” plan is so horrifically infantile and fails to recognise the severity of the situation in which we find ourselves.

Steve Bannon doing the rounds on breakfast tv and radio being a prime example of someone who should be told in no uncertain terms to fuck the fuck off.

Good point.  Give a mad man a platform and people will see he's a madman.  Give a skilled manipulator a platform and he can get a madman elected.

His views are extreme, but he sounds plausible.  Let the right, and the liberal libertarians argue he should be given a voice, just don't give him one. 

There’s only one way, which is government restriction on what is said. If we let the government dictate what can and cannot be said, based off of what people like or find acceptable, then I’m out. I fucking hate fascism, but I see far more danger in taking fascistic, authoritarian measures like that than a few cunts looking like cunts.

"Cunts looking like cunts".  What, when we have the saviour of the common man Piers Morgan to hold people to account?

I'm not offering a clear, legally-binding solution.  What I am doing is pointing out that giving extremists a platform and hoping that they show the good people that they're wrong is a flawed proposition.

Angry, where does restricting free speech fall on the list of: eliminating world poverty, shit jobs, low pay, curing treatable diseases, overcrowding, loneliness, animal cruelty, child mutilation, separation of kids from parents etc. Putting the cart before the horse.

Who is on about restricting free speech? Hate speech should be banned, people espousing hate speech should be banned and binned.

At a time of unprecedented access to the media and the ability to express yourself freely, hate and race crime is on the rise. Listening to some on here you'd think it's mere coincidence.

Steve Bannon, a self confessed white supremacist, got a free ride on 2 national broadcasters last week. Thinking it's okay because he didn't say anything outrageous is frankly stupid.

Angry, where does restricting free speech fall on the list of: eliminating world poverty, shit jobs, low pay, curing treatable diseases, overcrowding, loneliness, animal cruelty, child mutilation, separation of kids from parents etc. Putting the cart before the horse.

I'm not into limiting free speech; I'm into holding people accountable for hate speech.

Hate speech is used as a tool to divide people against each other, in order to keep the worst of the rich and powerful in power. When people start working together, we can start to tackle poverty, shit jobs, low pay, loneliness, etc.

Oh, and you can have all your Glen Greenwald quotes back too!

Never heard of the cunt.

(That's not strictly true: I've seen the name crop up in various "my podcasts better than your podcast" arguments on the GF. I struggle to think of anything that interests me less.)

Did you get round to reading the working definition of anti-Muslim hate? Any issues with it, or do you accept that it can be useful?

I'm not into limiting free speech; I'm into holding people accountable for hate speech.

Hate speech is used as a tool to divide people against each other, in order to keep the worst of the rich and powerful in power. When people start working together, we can start to tackle poverty, shit jobs, low pay, loneliness, etc.

The 'hate' speech we're seeing is because free speech was shut down by the left and allowed the right to morph into an echo-chamber, Fox News led, evangelical monstrosity. There was no functional economic difference between the left and the right so the right became ever more absurd to justify its existence. None of this has to do with hate speech, but economic policy or lack thereof by the left.

• Upvote 2

The 'hate' speech we're seeing is because free speech was shut down by the left and allowed the right to morph into an echo-chamber, Fox News led, evangelical monstrosity. There was no functional economic difference between the left and the right so the right became ever more absurd to justify its existence. None of this has to do with hate speech, but economic policy or lack thereof by the left.

Correct

That is absolute bollocks

You shouldn't have to enact laws to enforce decency. That's one thing we've definitely lost, these things weren't said years ago because we had more of a concept of how to conduct ourselves. These days that's all out the window. 

Katie Hopkins 'disabled people should be gassed' 

Media: 'Get that online!'

Readers 'did you hear what she said?' share share share 

Random cunt 'you can get away with anything you want these days, I'm going to go and call someone a paki cunt'. 

• Upvote 1

You and your rose tinted specs again. These things were said much more in the past, people just never had the means to broadcast them instantly to the world.

It was like that in the past and then it slowly became unacceptable, I'd say by the early 90s, it's gone backwards like a locomotive in the last probably five years, maybe less. The kind of shit Enoch Powel was taking grief for for years is said on an almost daily basis now by Farage and the likes.