You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

What do you think are the reasons why Brazilians elected him president?

What is Ne Moe Imya's take on this?

My take is ... I'm almost too depressed to have a take, to be honest.

The short version is that Brasil is in trouble. One thing that the foreign press hasn't really reported on as much is how big an effect the whole corruption scandal had on the whole political outlook of the everyday Brasilian people. You had your standard run-of-the-mill elites-are-stealing-money-from-everyone scandal and for ONCE they actually managed to capture and imprison everyone involved.

And I do mean everyone. Like, for once it wasn't just the fall guys but they actually put presidents and CEOs in prison.

But then the problem was that it was the leftists who were in charge so they got most of the blame (even though both sides had been doing it for years, it just happened that when the news broke it was Lula's turn with his hand in the cookie jar). And the companies involved were so connected and had their tentacles all over the economy that when they went down, so did a solid tenth or so of the jobs in the country.

So now you have massive unemployment and absolute distrust of the establishment; almost no surprise that Bolsonaro was able to win. The "good news" here is that unlike Trump, the only ones who are going to suffer from our new president is Brasilians - we don't have an army to go threatening half the world with. No, for Brasil it will just be Brasilians who suffer.

I can't wait for the world to move past the whole new "neo-fascist" wave that seems to have grown so popular. I just hope it happens before my sons are old enough to be drafted to fight in some senseless and utterly needless world war.

Sorry I'm so down, it's been a tough day or two at ranch NMI.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

The global precariat (existence without predictability or security), of which I am a part, are victims of the drastic social changes in the post WW2 period. We have almost no economic, social or cultural capital. Unless you redress that imbalance there's a lot in this class that have nothing to lose from chaos and extreme violence.

7 hours ago, Hades said:

The global precariat (existence without predictability or security), of which I am a part, are victims of the drastic social changes in the post WW2 period. We have almost no economic, social or cultural capital. Unless you redress that imbalance there's a lot in this class that have nothing to lose from chaos and extreme violence.

In Europe, the USA and much of the rest of the West, the numbers of the precariat and those in absolute poverty declined dramatically in the first 35 years after WW2. In that period, the redressing of the balance that is needed again now actually took place, to some degree, and societies became fairer.

The situation you're talking about  (in the West, at least) only really kicked in around 1980.

My only other quibble with that post is the last sentence. The precariat may think they have nothing to lose from chaos and violence, but if the chaos and violence leads (as it often does) to Fascists taking power, then history tells us that the precariat will lose everything that they do have.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In Europe, the USA and much of the rest of the West, the numbers of the precariat and those in absolute poverty declined dramatically in the first 35 years after WW2. In that period, the redressing of the balance that is needed again now actually took place, to some degree, and societies became fairer.

The situation you're talking about  (in the West, at least) only really kicked in around 1980.

My only other quibble with that post is the last sentence. The precariat may think they have nothing to lose from chaos and violence, but if the chaos and violence leads (as it often does) to Fascists taking power, then history tells us that the precariat will lose everything that they do have.

The generous welfare state and the degeneration of morals and nationhood laid the seeds for the rampant greed of the boomers, destruction of the family unit and of local communities. I believe in welfare, but I don't support single motherhood or having children one can't afford or raise with a stronge sense of morality. The cruelty of austerity and welfare policy now is because of the excesses of all classes.

As for your second point, people that have nothing to lose won't stop until they are dead or in prison. They would rather go their deaths for a fascist than be disrespected any further by what they see as condescension by liberals. The fact that the elite aren't much different from each other doesn't register to them. It's all about the respect they're 'taking back'. Unless you speak to that fundamental lost respect, they won't listen.

Goddam Russkies stirring up online hatred of Islam.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-trolls-top-priority-in-uk-is-stirring-hatred-of-islam-ptlck6nq7?fbclid=IwAR1nf-ywlStiWKlqIIjNk4l-zhJCZscfvtB32GRs9WRcQiFXKv6-7F_fmgA

Encouraging division over Islam has been the primary tactic of Russian trolls targeting Britain on Twitter, according to research.

Tweets about Islam far outnumbered those about Brexit and were also more widely shared, an analysis of nine million posted by a troll factory in St Petersburg found. Last month Twitter released the dataset of the tweets, which had been posted by 3,841 blocked accounts affiliated to the notorious Internet Research Agency.

Initial investigations highlighted the prevalence of pro-Leave messages, including a co-ordinated push on the day of the 2016 vote. However, Demos, a cross-party British think tank, has since found that the messages most widely shared related primarily to Islam and stirring up Islamophobia.

Matthew Goodwin argues, in yesterdays opinion piece in the G, it's not so much about immigration, but a "societal shift", although I don't quite understand the difference. And the theory of overwhelmingly positive support for the message of national populists rather than negative reaction to the "mainstream" is interesting, but it would appear that in the UK it does not hold entirely true, since the rise of UKIP seems to have been driven by a single issue (EU) rather than a prolonged support for national populism.

He also thinks populists will only get stronger and stronger. Will he eat his words again?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/08/national-populism-immigration-financial-crisis-globalisation?fbclid=IwAR2VAxa9gfOOdsvyw8C_ZeP1m4sVNi5cYCoT5EW3ECpEsk4GCJeYBlpcO-4

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I put it in here even though it's not exactly far right, maybe we need a "rise of the not so far right" thread, as a more interesting phenomenon. 

No, thanks for posting . It is very relative and a good piece if somewhat depressing !

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Oh come on. Everyone calls each other all sorts, then shakes hands at stumps and goes to the pub/teetotal equivalent at the end of the day. That leads to more social cohesion than the physical distance between sects that requires constant ideological purity.

Spoken like a cunt.

Sort of rebuttal and review of Goodwin's book on national populism mentioned above which is "unstinting in its generosity to rightwing populist leaders, and unfailingly compassionate to their supporters" according to the review.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/15/national-populism-review-compassion-for-supporters-of-trump-brexit-le-pen

On 11/10/2018 at 7:44 PM, ZonkoVille77 said:

Cop didn't have to shoot him right in the chest like that. Had plenty of time to hit him in either leg or shoulder even. I'd call that murder. Even though the perpetrator was a cunt he shouldn't have been killed like that. 

Are you for real, mate? Murder? The man is clearly a threat to their lives, has already murdered one person, and they have given him every chance.

I'm the first person to blame racism and police brutality when it's called for but this shooting is pretty clearly justified (if obviously tragic). I can only assume you've never actually fired a gun if you think you can just "hit him in the leg or shoulder" whenever you want. There's a reason they don't train police officers to aim for anything except centre mass, and only people who get their firearms knowledge from video games and movies think otherwise.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Looks like they were quite lenient and took a risk. If he'd stabbed one or both he'd have gotten a gun with the potential to do even more damage 

From Wiki: 

Sergeant Dennis Tueller, of the Salt Lake City, Utah Police Department wondered how quickly an attacker with a knife could cover 21 feet (6.4 m), so he timed volunteers as they raced to stab the target. He determined that it could be done in 1.5 seconds. These results were first published as an article in SWATmagazine in 1983 and in a police training video by the same title, "How Close is Too Close?"[1][2]

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Are you for real, mate? Murder? The man is clearly a threat to their lives, has already murdered one person, and they have given him every chance.

I'm the first person to blame racism and police brutality when it's called for but this shooting is pretty clearly justified (if obviously tragic). I can only assume you've never actually fired a gun if you think you can just "hit him in the leg or shoulder" whenever you want. There's a reason they don't train police officers to aim for anything except centre mass, and only people who get their firearms knowledge from video games and movies think otherwise.

If you are happy to support murder that's your choice.

He should have been given the opportunity to be put on trial no matter who he murdered or how many he murdered.

I suppose you think the Nuremberg trials shouldn't have happened then? They should all have been shot at point blank range then instead of being put on trial for their actions?

I make no apologies for murderers of any sort. But there were clearly plenty of opportunities for those policemen to shoot him in the leg to take him down.

EDIT: Negged, for your stupid childish comment about video games. Grow the fuck up, dude.

Of course criminals should be put on trial whenever possible.

Key words there: "whenever possible."

To use your example, we put SOME of the Nazis on trial in Nuremburg. The ones who survived the war. When they were safely in cages, then we could try them in a court of law and pass appropriate sentence. But when they were free, rampaging around Europe and murdering people, we shot them or bombed them to death.

This man in Melbourne was literally murdering people and threatening the lives of everyone around him. So sure, it would have been great if they had been able to figure out a way to subdue him without threat to anyone else's life. Unfortunately, as often happens, they could not do that, and once it became quite clear that there was no way to safely arrest him, the (in my view justifiable) decision was taken to shoot him.

Unfortunate, certainly. Murder? Nah.

On 10 November 2018 at 12:44 PM, ZonkoVille77 said:

Cop didn't have to shoot him right in the chest like that. Had plenty of time to hit him in either leg or shoulder even. I'd call that murder. Even though the perpetrator was a cunt he shouldn't have been killed like that. 

When firing at a moving target you go for the biggest part of the body which is always the chest area or you risk missing and you or others dying. I haven't seen the video so am assuming the fella with the knife was moving toward the armed bizzie. If so then the bizzie had no option. Might even have been suicide by cop. Fuck him. He chose to go and kill someone then wave a knife around. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When firing at a moving target you go for the biggest part of the body which is always the chest area or you risk missing and you or others dying. I haven't seen the video so am assuming the fella with the knife was moving toward the armed bizzie. If so then the bizzie had no option. Might even have been suicide by cop. Fuck him. He chose to go and kill someone then wave a knife around. 

He is surrounded by policemen in the middle of a street, lunging at them. They give him every chance to surrender peacefully, he doesn't, finally makes contact with one officer's arm (unclear whether he's injured or not). Then the murderer lunges at another officer less than a meter away, and that one shoots him in the chest.

Like I said, there are many, many cases where police officers use excessive violence. This is not one of them.