You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

7 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Rod Liddle in being a racist right wing cunt shocker....

Still no doubt the BBC will have him on Question Time pretty soon

Rod Liddle condemned over Sunday Times column encouraging British Islamists to ‘blow themselves up’ in London

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/rod-liddle-sunday-times-column-tower-hamlets-london-islamists-blow-themselves-up/

What a fucking belled. Although Tower Hamlets looks like its still in the blitz 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, Hades said:

The elite are psychopaths, regardless of whether they're Jewish or not.

I'm not going to disagree. I probably put myself in the same camp as you, in terms of my overall attitude to the so called 'elite' of our global 'community' (laugh)

Ultimately though, what choices do we take when it comes to defending whatever lifestyle and standard of living we have? There are many people who believe that war is the natural state of man, and would argue that conflict (Darwinism - the fittest is the last man or woman standing?) has brought us to this place here and now.

What I'm saying is this: The choices we make now, as individuals (with or without responsibility to immediate family) will affect how long we live and at what standard of living that is, for the foreseeable future. What do we risk and for what outcome? what stakes against what reward?

A fascinating discussion on the Pareto Principle - Joe Rogan Show.

Could the way that the distribution of resources and means of exchange works out in reality, lead to an upsurge in the far-right, as in "I'm at zero. I have nothing to lose. Let's burn it all down"?

9 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yaxley-Lennon, the convicted fraudster, up to his old tricks again and treating himself to a £950,000 country house, shortly after getting his army of online knuckle-draggers to crowdfund his *ahem* "expenses".

I’m assuming this is mortgage free too as he’s previously been convicted for mortgage fraud so I doubt he’d get another one. 

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hadn't Brazil always been a bit fascisty, admittedly I'm only going by Elite Squad but it seems to have a history of coppers going into favellas and shooting kids.

Pretty much. Although the most popular politician in the country is a leftist (he in jail now), and the workers party had been in power for a while and made some great advances. This is a massive step back toward military junta style governing 

• Upvote 2

Since we don't seem to have ITKs, more reading material, this time a view from the center, leader from the current Economist on Bolsonaro, I'm pasting it because it's registered users only.

Containing Jair Bolsonaro

A president with authoritarian instincts must be challenged by a united democratic opposition

BRAZILIANS FACE an awful choice. One candidate in the presidential run-off on October 28th is Jair Bolsonaro, a seven-term congressman who venerates dictators and guns, goads police to kill suspected criminals, threatens to banish opponents and belittles women, blacks and gays. His rival is Fernando Haddad, the nominee of the leftist Workers’ Party(PT). Its 13 years in power, from 2003 to 2016, ended in a self-inflicted economic depression and revelations that the party encouraged bribery on an unprecedented scale, in part to prolong its hold on power.

Dilma Rousseff, a PT president, was impeached in 2016 for hiding the true size of the budget deficit. Crime continued to rise after she left office. Nearly 64,000 people were murdered in Brazil last year, a record number. Understandably, Brazilians are enraged. They now look poised to elect Mr Bolsonaro, a populist with authoritarian instincts, as their president.

That such a man will probably lead Latin America’s largest country is a tragedy. If it happens, it will be because Brazil’s political class has failed the country’s people. Some of the corruption was orchestrated by the PT, but almost all parties took part in it. Today’s crime and economic stagnation are a consequence of a dangerously indebted state that is at once too big and too feeble to provide adequate policing, education and other public services. Nearly all politicians share the blame for that.

Mr Bolsonaro’s probable election will pose a new challenge: ensuring that a president with autocratic impulses does not subvert Brazil’s democracy. It is critical that politicians of all ideologies rise to the occasion. But they cannot forget about the old problems. If Mr Bolsonaro puts forward good ideas for fixing the economy and controlling corruption, he should get help.

Brazil is a relatively young democracy; dictatorial rule ended in 1985. But it is not a weak one. Although Brazilians view congress as a corruption-ridden collection of rent-a-parties, it is not a rubber stamp. It has impeached two presidents in the democratic era and can provide a vital check on Mr Bolsonaro. The judiciary has shown its independence over the past four years through the Lava Jato (Car Wash) investigations. These have implicated scores of politicians and led to the jailing of the PT's leader, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, a former president. The press is already challenging Mr Bolsonaro, which is why, like Donald Trump, he accuses it of spreading fake news.

Such institutions can thwart some of Mr Bolsonaro’s worst plans. He wants the police to have “carte blanche” to kill. But the main police forces are under the authority of the 27 states. Their governors must reject his trigger-happy philosophy. Congress can stop him from carrying out his threat to stuff the supreme court with pliant judges. Mr Bolsonaro’s proposal to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement and his eagerness to promote development in the Amazon, where rates of deforestation appear to be rising, should alarm the world. Congress and activist groups can stand in his way.

Not all Mr Bolsonaro’s ideas are bad. He has shown more interest than the PT in solving Brazil’s main economic problems (see article). If he is serious about reforming the costly pension system, which threatens Brazil’s financial stability, and eliminating useless rules, congress should co-operate. (Though that is a big “if”.)

The worst effects of a Bolsonaro presidency may be hardest to contain. Already he has damaged Brazil’s democratic culture by praising the former dictatorship, choosing as his running-mate a retired general who has justified military coups under some circumstances, and insinuating that political opponents are enemies of the state. He probably does not intend to be a dictator. But his corrosive rhetoric may make Brazilians more receptive to autocracy in the future. To confront that, Brazil needs an opposition that defends democratic norms and an army determined to remain scrupulously apolitical.

In their despair, Brazilians are about to reject a discredited party in favour of a political adventurer with repellent ideas. That is unlikely to turn out well. Lawmakers, judges, journalists and civil servants will have to work hard to limit the damage.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/10/27/containing-jair-bolsonaro

• Upvote 2