Quantcast
Houllier: ""During this time we have spent about £110million but we've recouped £70m" - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tom R

Houllier: ""During this time we have spent about £110million but we've recouped £70m"

Look at Wenger for instance. He has recouped fuck all since he arrived at Arsenal, and spent a fair bit. However because he has had very few expensive failures ( Jeffers and Richard Wright the only ones I can think of off the top of my head) no-one weighs up how much he has spent vs how much he has recouped.

So Wiltord (£13m) and Van Bronkhorst (£8.5m) were a success then?

List was by no means conclusive... just off the top of my head. Wiltord has contributed more to Arsenal than Diouf has to us anyway, although 13million was far too much for him.

I think the signings of Anelka,Petit,Vieira, Ljunberg, Toure, Clichy and others for very little money balance Wenger's deals out more favourably than Houllier's.

Every club buys duds, but if the majority of your signings are good, then it will not harm the club in the same way as Houllier's dealings have.

List was by no means conclusive... just off the top of my head. Wiltord has contributed more to Arsenal than Diouf has to us anyway, although 13million was far too much for him.

I think the signings of Anelka,Petit,Vieira, Ljunberg, Toure, Clichy and others for very little money balance Wenger's deals out more favourably than Houllier's.

Every club buys duds, but if the majority of your signings are good, then it will not harm the club in the same way as Houllier's dealings have.

How about when he sold Anelka and Overmars to Barcelona, I cannot remember the fee but it was a shit load of money!!

Anelka was only bought for 1 mil maybe 2!

Wenger made a shedload on Anelka, Overmars and Petit. Something like £45m. That allowed him the leeway to rejig his squad and then eventually win the league again in 2002 and this season in 2004. It worked. Along the way there's a list of players as long as Houllier's who were absolute duds BUT Wenger won the league, a massive difference.

His profit and loss account will take one hell of a dip this summer though as he'll effectively be losing Wiltord, Jeffers, Kanu, Van Bronkhurst at a "loss" of £35m.

That is true but how many of those players actually made a difference to then winning the league this year!!

To arsenal they are losing them on the wage bill and then bring someone else in probably better, something Foullier can never do!

That's the thing, Anelka wanted to move to a "bigger" club than the arse so Wenger had to cash in. With hindsight you can see it was a good deal on Arsenal's side. Now the top players don't want to leave otherwise he could cash in and make a huge profit on the likes of Henry and Vieira. They're no longer a club where the likes of Real Madrid can just poach their players.

Guest Scousewegian

This is the Daily Mail of football forums.

If he says he bought them for X and sold them for Y then I believe him as he is one of the few people that know the true figures.

He is with us for another season so how about supporting him?

This is the Daily Mail of football forums.

If he says he bought them for X and sold them for Y then I believe him as he is one of the few people that know the true figures.

So Houllier is renowned for telling the truth then??

Houllier knows the true figures, which is what makes his lie even more offensive.

The fact is that he has made up the figures to suit himself.

I don't care how much money he has recouped, all that I am moaning about is the ammount of shite signing which have wasted loads of cash. He does not learn from his mistakes, and if he is given £30million in the summer, the likelyhood is that he will not spend it entirely wisely.

Fuck off he is a lying shameless twat, you can support him after his comments the last 2 days if you feel like it no-one else will

I can't be arsed with the factual accuracy of any of this. My concern is that GH simply couldn't let the justified criticism of this season go without responding in his perennially childish manner of resorting to petty excuses and even trying to marginalise the home fans by laying his praise at the door of the away boys. By my reckoning he seems to think there are about three thousand Liverpool fans who unequivocally support him. What about the other five million, Gerard?

Why can't he show a little magnanimity and admit he's fucked up. We'd respect him far more if he did.

That is true but how many of those players actually made a difference to then winning the league this year!!

To arsenal they are losing them on the wage bill and then bring someone else in probably better, something Foullier can never do!

Ah but now you're being a dodgy accountant Truered - you can't not count those in Wengers transfer profit and loss account but include GH's dodgy buys. Don't work like that. It's like the dodgy accounting above about 14m of sales in 2001-2003 when I reckon it's 26m minimum.

Anyway this is all pedantic nonsense. The buys in the summer of 2002 weren't good enough. Some of the others weren't. We haven't won the league.

Guest Dancing Dave

It's disinformation though isn't it?? Dave U says :

I'll give you Hyypia, Henchoz, Kewell and also Le Tallec, Pongolle and Baros. We got value for money with Hamann too. But the bad far, far ,far outweights the good, and his transfer dealings overall are attrocious. Surely even you can concede that?>>

What about Dudek and Kirkland? Riise anybody?? Finnan?? Unless you know better Dave, Houllier got Babbel too. Houllier has bought bad players, but which of us thought they were bad at the time? As I recall the signing of Heskey was greeted with enthusiasm, so were the signings of Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou. Most of the nonsense written is borne out of a frustration, which is understandable, but lies cheapen any arguement, and I know who's lying.

I'll give you Hyypia, Henchoz, Kewell and also Le Tallec, Pongolle and Baros. We got value for money with Hamann too. But the bad far, far ,far outweights the good, and his transfer dealings overall are attrocious. Surely even you can concede that?>>

What about Dudek and Kirkland? Riise anybody?? Finnan?? Unless you know better Dave, Houllier got Babbel too. Houllier has bought bad players, but which of us thought they were bad at the time? As I recall the signing of Heskey was greeted with enthusiasm, so were the signings of Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou. Most of the nonsense written is borne out of a frustration, which is understandable, but lies cheapen any arguement, and I know who's lying.

I'm not saying Dudek Kirkland and Riise were bad signings, but we wouldn't make money on any of them if they left right now. And as I said, the Babbel deal was done by Peter Robinson (as was the Jari Litmanen one incidentally).

As for the signings being greeted with enthusiasm, so what? Almost any big money signing is treated like that, it's part of being a fan. It doesn't justify the manager's decision to sign them.

Guest Dancing Dave
I'm not saying Dudek Kirkland and Riise were bad signings, but we wouldn't make money on any of them if they left right now. And as I said, the Babbel deal was done by Peter Robinson (as was the Jari Litmanen one incidentally).

As for the signings being greeted with enthusiasm, so what? Almost any big money signing is treated like that, it's part of being a fan. It doesn't justify the manager's decision to sign them.

Oh..right. So you were dismayed when we bought Diouf?? You thought it was a mistake?

What about Dudek and Kirkland? Riise anybody?? Finnan?? QUOTE]

By the way, Finnan is crap. He has added nothing to the team, and when he plays our right side of defence is always weak. Waste of money - good attacking full back my arse. His performance today was typically.....terrible!!!

What about Dudek and Kirkland? Riise anybody?? Finnan?? QUOTE]

By the way, Finnan is crap. He has added nothing to the team, and when he plays our right side of defence is always weak. Waste of money - good attacking full back my arse. His performance today was typically.....terrible!!!

Bring back Semmy... he can't be any worse than Finnan, in fact his performances hint that he is far better than him.

have to agree finnan was woeful today and at fault for their goal.just waiting for ged to claim that the full house for the lap of "honour" was proof of our support and pride at claiming 4th.how many stevie gerrards were on the pitch in the 2cnd half i swear there must have been 3 or4 of him on the park today he was every where!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the right on the left at the back he is truly world class

So the stadium was still full for the lap of shame? I got off as soon as the final whistle went. Was hoping everyone else would do the same- it would've sent out a powerful message.

Look, we can argue about the amount spent, or compare Houllier to Wenger all we want, but what really matters is whether or not the manager has had money to spend (YES), has he been able to buy enough players to make the team his (YES) and has he motivated those players to perform how they should (NO).

In the circumstances, he's failed. Time to give someone else a chance to succeed.