You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First World Cup

Sugar Ape

vague memories of France 98 for me then 2002 onwards for watching properly, 2010 was terrible football wise, made annoying by Vuvuzelas and topped off by ridiculous bias for African teams from the Media, awful World Cup

Enjoyed 2006 myself although seem to recall others thinking it was shit

I'm sure I've posted about it before, but I also have the 1990 World Cup medal collection somewhere. Though complete, I'm not sure it's in great nick but it is lying around in the attic somewhere.

$T2eC16NHJFwFFZ-+s5ryBR9Uygt4NQ~~60_35.J

I also have a 'Ciao' keyring somewhere, though I've no idea where I got that from.

First World Cup was 1986, Mexico seemed like another world away and felt more like a proper world cup than most of the European ones. That summer seemed to go on forever as we had a field leading onto the beach at the bottom of our road and every night me and most of the lads in my road or adjoining roads would be down there re-enacting skills from the world cup. My dad worked for a steel company so he got us some goalposts made for us but they weren't full size. We nicked two full sized nets from somewhere and made fucking massive "Mexico goals" with them as all the nets in the World Cup were massive box sized ones.

Butragueno scoring 4 against a brilliant Denmark team, Josimar, Russia twatting Bulgaria about six nil with some pearlers, Uruguay being a bunch of dirty cuntsand my Dad ranting about teams like Iraq being allowed in were all non England highlights. The press were hysterical over England's first two games then Lineker rescued them in the last game against the Poles.

Best game was the France V Brazil quarter final where the Brazil keeper ran 40 yards out to try and clothes line France's centre forward and never even got spoken to by the ref.

• Upvote 1

Shittest one was the last one in South Africa, missed Germany twatting Argentina which was the only decent game.

Italia 90 was good as England and Ireland both did well but some of the games were dull as fuck, the best was Germany v Holland with Voller getting spat at by Rijkaard and Klinsmann having to play up front on his own yet still terrorising the Dutch defence.

I recall seeing the telly flickering and Argentina playing in 86, but I don't recall any of it. I don't even recall Euro 88, even though I was 9 years old.

Italia 90 was my year of dawning really, I even had an Italia 90 sticker book and I still have it. Ring binder as well, fucking ace.

Baggio, Careca, Matthaus, Scifo, Caniggia.

Caniggia used to play with a thin gold chain with a cross on it. I got one from the catalogue or something and started rocking it when playing football. Class above, even then.

• Upvote 1

The Orbis binder? It had some quality idiosyncracies. Cameroon were called "The Cameroons", it had Denmark in it even though they didn't even qualify and the South Korean "Gu Sang Bum" was pretty funny when you're 9. Also, the big pictures of world cup greats, Kenny being one, and the greatest goals with a sticker for each one, quality.

This:

$(KGrHqR,!joE4stP-7JEBOW4tsNb!w~~_35.JPG

USA '94 is the first one I have clear memory of, though I think I might have watched some of Italia '90 as a young boy.

It was especially important because I was just getting into football.  I grew up in Bolivia, and we had been dreadful for decades (and soon went on to regress back to this point, but that was not to be known at the time).

Anyway, I remember being glued to the radio all throughout qualifying, as we lived way out in the Amazon basin and there was no television.  When Bolivia qualified the whole nation celebrated massively.  I must have sung the "Bolivia se va al Mundial" song for days.

Then we went and we were terrible (not helped at all by our best player, Etcheverry, getting an idiotic red card in our first match and disqualifying him for the rest of the group stage), but we didn't really expect anything else.  I was born in Brazil, so as soon as Bolivia went out there was an obvious team to support ready-made.

I got to watch the final on television, one of the first games I'd ever seen live, and when Baggio skyed that penalty I screamed myself hoarse.  An absolutely brilliant moment.

Odd to recall all of that now, when international football seems like a complete waste of time, but as a young boy nothing was more important.

• Upvote 1

Mine was also 94. I do remeber the england v cameroon game from italia 90 and also the scotland game was it costa rica they played on the opening day? but was only 6 so wasn't that arsed,

94 though, I had the sticker album, watched pretty much every match and lived in my ireland shirt. Ray Houghtons goal is an abiding memory, and aldridge going mad at the 4th official for not being brought on. I think i cried when they lost to holland. 

1990 for me as well. Aside from 'World In Motion' and the England games, the opening match between Argentina and Cameroon still sticks out in my mind. Featuring not only one of the biggest surprise results, but also one of the most impressive displays of fouling in the history of the modern game, culminating in this superb team effort (so spectacular that the ref decides a red card is not quite enough and follows it up with a further yellow):

• Upvote 1

Spain -82, I was only 6 in 78 and cant rememeber anything from it, rememebrr almost everything from the -82 WC though, absolutely loved it from the first game when Belgium beat Argentina after Vandenberg beat Fillol in the Argentinian goal, to the final when what had become my favourite Italy beat Germany.

Spain -82, I was only 6 in 78 and cant rememeber anything from it, rememebrr almost everything from the -82 WC though, absolutely loved it from the first game when Belgium beat Argentina after Vandenberg beat Fillol in the Argentinian goal, to the final when what had become my favourite Italy beat Germany.

Get out of it Code, this is you circa 1978:

037_zpsceea8ef7.png

Parts of 82 (when I was 6), remember that Italy - Brazil match vividly, as well has Brian Robson scoring after 27 seconds against France.  Mexico 86 was the main one though.  

86 and 90 were a really good pair of world cups, at least in my memory and probably because I was a kid.  Don't think there have been any to match up with them since.  Although I did enjoy getting shitfaced every night for a month for France 98.

I wanted to go to USA 94 but was skint so just ended up watching it on the telly. Was gutted even though England never qualified.

My Missus told me that she went on holiday to America that year with her mate and finished up in Florida, both of them got offered free tickets to see Ireland V Holland and Holland V Mexico in Orlando but turned them down because her mate couldn't be arsed going.

My uncle went to Mexico 86 and his bus got held up in Monterey and everyone on board got fleeced of every last bit of cash or valuables.

Spain 82 for me. I remember bowling around my school playground with my Zico Panini sticker stuck to my T-shirt, feeling cool by association.

29-ZICO+Panini+Br%25C3%25A9sil+1982.png

'82 for me too. You have no idea the memories seeing that little mascot of the orange brings back. Loved my Panini album. I needed Giuseppe Bergomi and my sister (who's three years older than me and hates football but was collecting them anyway for no apparent reason) had a spare of him and wouldn't swap with me. Bitch.

On a lighter note, Robert Lopez Ufarte of Spain always got a laugh round my house. Ufarte, no Ufarte, no, you did etc.

I remember two bad pervs out of my work went to Thailand while the Japan/Korea world cup was on. Some bird in our office asked why they were going to Thailand for the World Cup when it was on in Japan and they got all defensive before I said "to watch the footy whilst drinking beer and being bummed by Ladyboys". They never really lived it down.

I can remember watching the England-Argentina game in the Newz bar about 11 am after slipping out of work unnoticed. My boss came looking for me and my mate and we got matched back to the office just after the penalty went in.

I wanted to go to USA 94 but was skint so just ended up watching it on the telly. Was gutted even though England never qualified.

My Missus told me that she went on holiday to America that year with her mate and finished up in Florida, both of them got offered free tickets to see Ireland V Holland and Holland V Mexico in Orlando but turned them down because her mate couldn't be arsed going.

My uncle went to Mexico 86 and his bus got held up in Monterey and everyone on board got fleeced of every last bit of cash or valuables.

Mexico did not play Holland in the 94 World Cup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1