You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amy Winehouse found dead

DJLJ

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So, why are the smackheads dying still, if it's working a treat, and everything? Oh wait, cus it's only happening in small scale.

Is that not a good argument for adoption it on a wider scale?

In the places it's happening, like Switzerland, there has been no deaths with those using this system. Or it was true last time I looked.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

If the drug is clean, is taken in a controlled way and is taken in sensible amounts, you're very unlikely to die from it. It's not the drug that's the most dangerous thing about heroin addiction, it's the things that go with its illegality.

Oh my god, you are from the planet space cadet aren't you!

Heath Ledger died from an overdose of opium that was precribed to him, this was nothing to do with the fact that the drug was illegal it was down to the fact that it is fucking dangerous whether legal or illegal.

do you propose that we have a team of highly trained anaesthetists, around every person that wants to take the stuff? If this make believe world became true then the cost of taking opium would become so expensive people would end up buying it from illegal sources anyway, so you have done nothing.

You also seem to forget or ignore the addictive ellement of the substance and the fact you build up a tollerance. Opium is not like Alcohol were you will drink and go home merry, you dont take drugs like opium in sensible amounts. It takes over your life and everything you do is to feed your habbit. With opium you build up a tollerance and you become addicted very quickly, opium is a highly addictive drug. You would therefore still have high crime rates with people turnign to crime to feed their habits.

I KNOW people who have been addicted to opium and they have never said that opium being illegal was the problem. They would laugh you out of Liverpool at the thought of even suggesting that their is any evidence out there that says opium and other hard drugs are harmless in any form.

Next time you try to argue a case make sure you know what you talking about, as your argument is really quite fucking ridiclulous.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Next time you try to argue a case make sure you know what you talking about, as your argument is really quite fucking ridiclulous.

Will do, mate. Thanks for the advice.

Ive never smoked a spliff or taken so called strong drugs like Heroin,Cocaine or Meth or whatever and never would, but i do realise that the reason addicts like this are dying is that the stuff they are taking is so unpure it might as well be and sometimes is talcum powder or similar.

The legalising of the stuff to allow medically administered pure stuff is a fair one but we'd all be a bit naive if we didnt realise the reason this will never happen is that its the way some of our politicians and top cops supplement their income.

Its a shame addicts dont realise that the stuff they take is never pure and always poses a risk but the drugs take away all rational thinking too.

Heath Ledger died from an overdose of opium that was precribed to him, this was nothing to do with the fact that the drug was illegal it was down to the fact that it is fucking dangerous whether legal or illegal.

No, it was down to the fact that he was suicidal. Would you illegalise paracetamol because many people die from overdosing on that?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I thought I could resist this ignorant post, but I can't.

Oh my god, you are from the planet space cadet aren't you!

No.

Firstly, let me inform you about what heroin actually is. It's a semi-synthetic opioid (that means it binds with the opioid receptors) which comes from the chemical synthesis of morphine. It's not the same thing as opium (which contains about 12% morphine, which is then synthesised to make heroin). If you're going to imply I'm ignorant, you might want to use the correct terminology. We're talking about heroin.

Secondly, on the subject of health ledger 'dying from an overdose of prescribed opium': he "died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine". If you think that taking a combination of prescribed drugs is the same as dying from an overdose of heroin, you're even more ignorant than I thought.

do you propose that we have a team of highly trained anaesthetists, around every person that wants to take the stuff? If this make believe world became true then the cost of taking opium would become so expensive people would end up buying it from illegal sources anyway, so you have done nothing.

I propose that we adopt the Swiss system of heroin prescription taken in a clean, medically supervised environment, yes.

You also seem to forget or ignore the addictive ellement of the substance and the fact you build up a tollerance.

Except where I explicitly mentioned it in this thread, yes, I've not mentioned it.

Opium is not like Alcohol were you will drink and go home merry, you dont take drugs like opium in sensible amounts. It takes over your life and everything you do is to feed your habbit. With opium you build up a tollerance and you become addicted very quickly, opium is a highly addictive drug. You would therefore still have high crime rates with people turnign to crime to feed their habits.

You're talking about the drug under the system you endorse, not the one I'm endorsing.

We're talking about heroin when it's provided by medical professionals and used in a safe, medically supervised and administered fashion. Not throwing it up your arm in an ally after you've bought it from scumbag drug dealer.

I KNOW people who have been addicted to opium and they have never said that opium being illegal was the problem. They would laugh you out of Liverpool at the thought of even suggesting that their is any evidence out there that says opium and other hard drugs are harmless in any form.

Well, I'd never say they were 'harmless in any form', so I don't really care who'd laugh at me.

You really have no idea what I do or do not know about this subject. What is clear though is you're entirely unable to think logically, or speak with any authority on this subject.

I thought I could resist this ignorant post, but I can't.

No.

Firstly, let me inform you about what heroin actually is. It's a semi-synthetic opioid (that means it binds with the opioid receptors) which comes from the chemical synthesis of morphine. It's not the same thing as opium (which contains about 12% morphine, which is then synthesised to make heroin). If you're going to imply I'm ignorant, you might want to use the correct terminology. We're talking about heroin.

Secondly, on the subject of health ledger 'dying from an overdose of prescribed opium': he "died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine". If you think that taking a combination of prescribed drugs is the same as dying from an overdose of heroin, you're even more ignorant than I thought.

I propose that we adopt the Swiss system of heroin prescription taken in a clean, medically supervised environment, yes.

Except where I explicitly mentioned it in this thread, yes, I've not mentioned it.

You're talking about the drug under the system you endorse, not the one I'm endorsing.

We're talking about heroin when it's provided by medical professionals and used in a safe, medically supervised and administered fashion. Not throwing it up your arm in an ally after you've bought it from scumbag drug dealer.

Well, I'd never say they were 'harmless in any form', so I don't really care who'd laugh at me.

You really have no idea what I do or do not know about this subject. What is clear though is you're entirely unable to think logically, or speak with any authority on this subject.

Excellent post. I nominate NN as GF educator on the subject of addiction.

See you have looked up the subject on Wikipedia and are now proclaiming to be an expert on the subject, yet you have no experience of the drug what so ever. And get your facts right, it binds with the opioid receptors because it is an opioid not because it is semi synthetic.

Point is though, Heath Ledger died from an overdose of diamorphine based drugs that were legally prescribed, that didn't stop him from dying did it.

The Swiss system hasn't legalised Heroin to be freely available to anyone who wants to take the drug. It is to treat people who are already addicted to the drug. And if you read the report it has been critisiced by the UN by fueling drug use not causing a decline in the use of the drug.

Once again a bullshiter who has no experience or knowledge of the drug apart from the one that Wikipedia gives him trying to pull the wool over people eyes and get them thinking he is some sort of pseudo intelectual. Heroin or any diamorphine drug is highly addictive, and you do build up a tollerance to it. You build a tollerance to the drug because of the opioid receptor.

Bollocks, complete and utter bullshit. when you go in for an operation there is a risk that you will not recover from the anestetic and as such you have to sign a concent form before they will operate. Yes it is much safer if you are supersvised while taking it, but as I have said why the fuck would the country want to legalise a drug that is fucking deadly in ANY FORM. And how much would it cost to have a team of highly trained and highly paid anesthetists for every junkie that you would create usiing your legalised diamorphine trade every time they wanted to get a high.

Why the fuck legalise it then.

How can you put an argument forward on a subject it is quite clear you have no knowledge of aprt from the info you gather on the web. You have never taken the drug and you have never met anyone who has been addiceted the the drug.

You really have no idea what I do or do not know about this subject. What is clear though is you're entirely unable to think logically, or speak with any authority on this subject

No what is clear is that you are so much full of bull shit the stench is making my eyes water.

Point is though, Heath Ledger died from an overdose of diamorphine based drugs that were legally prescribed, that didn't stop him from dying did it.

I note that you have not answered my question about whether paracetamol should be illegal because loads of people die from overdosing on that.

I note that you have not answered my question about whether paracetamol should be illegal because loads of people die from overdosing on that.

Paracetamol isn't addictive, so it isn't going to cause you to become addicted to it, and as such you are then not going to suffer from the problems of addiction, so why ban it.

You really dont have an argument there I'm afraid.

Paracetamol isn't addictive, so it isn't going to cause you to become addicted to it, and as such you are then not going to suffer from the problems of addiction, so why ban it.

Nor do you, since your argument was that Heath Ledger died from an overdose of legally prescribed drugs. Are you saying he was addicted to them and that's why he took an overdose? Where is your evidence of this?

Should also add, Heath Ledger died from an accidental overdose, he didn't do it on purpose.

Nor do you, since your argument was that Heath Ledger died from an overdose of legally prescribed drugs. Are you saying he was addicted to them and that's why he took an overdose? Where is your evidence of this?

No I do sorry. The problem with diamoprhine is you build a tollerance and as such you need more and more to get the same hit. Heath ledger was building a tollerance to his sleeping pills and as such had to take more, he subsequently took to many and died.