You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amy Winehouse found dead

DJLJ

Guest Numero Veinticinco
To be honest, I think that the addiction, itself, is the most dangerous part of it.

But, as has been conclusively proven, the addiction is entirely manageable.

I was at Heathrow last Christmas, returning home with the wife and kids after a trip to the UK. We were in Boots’ (T3) when a scrawny, disheveled and slightly unwell looking 15 yr old girl started cooing over our 1 year old as she sat in her pushchair. After a moment, I realized that this wasn’t in fact a 15 yr old girl, but was a globally renowned singer and celebrity of some infamy. Amy Winehouse.

I was taken aback at how tiny and frail she looked and the complete absence of any whiff of ‘celebrity’ about her. Celebs, when spotted in such everyday places, tend to stand out a bit: expensive clothes, a deep winter tan, a waft of expensive perfume, the unmistakable trappings of moneyed luxury. I was surprised that she had none of this. She was an anxious looking, slightly distracted, incredibly feeble looking young woman who I almost felt like asking ‘are you really Amy Winehouse, or do you just look a bit like her?’ The presence of two burly ‘minders’ turning away anybody that tried to speak with her (she had initially approached us, so I guess we were deemed ‘safe’) made the question redundant.

As we walked towards our departure gate, the wife and I were both taken by how much smaller than life she had seemed, and it was clear that we were both a little unnerved by encounter – as though it somehow wasn’t quite right that somebody that famous should appear so vulnerable.

By coincidence, as we were speaking and explaining to our 11 yr old boy that the girl that had been engaging his sister was in fact a very famous singer, we passed a ‘life sized’ cardboard cut out of the her that formed part of a tacky tourism advert for the UK. The difference between this luminescent icon and the slightly frightened looking waif that we had been speaking to just 5 minutes previous was stark, and made us wonder if this was somebody who would be around for much longer.

I am no fan of her music, and her death certainly isn’t more important than that of 90 young Norwegians – although it is most definitely as news worthy – but I can’t help but feel a bit sad that the painfully thin and troubled looking young girl that we met in January could not fight the demons off to last beyond her 27 years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That must be why so many smackheads have such fruitful and successful lives free of the drug.

You're missing the point, I fear. The people you're talking about are living under law that makes taking the substance a crime. What SD and I are saying is that it's that system, and all that comes along with it, that's killing these users. In places where it's legalised, it's working brilliantly well. Deaths have been reduced to, last time I looked, absolute zero.

But, as has been conclusively proven, the addiction is entirely manageable.

The addiction to substances is just a manifestation of underlying psychological issues leading to a very broad description of an addictive personality. From my experience of working for a drug councelling unit many, many years ago mental health and addiction to substances go hand in hand. I'd suggest that the most damaging of all the substances is alcohol. We do need to remember that more often than not an individual will be addicted to more than one substance even though they might have a primary.

It's the knock on effect of substance abuse though, the lack of care individuals take with their own health over a long period of time, not eating properly or at all in some cases etc. Often and in this case it will be a cocktail of substances mixed with an abuse of her own body that will have led to her untimely demise.

Edited by clangers

Just seen a twitter conversation doing the rounds between Dan Wootton (former NOTW Showbiz repoter) & Rachel Richardson (editor of NOTW Fabulous magazine, unfortunately not defunct) arguing that papers should lead with Amy Winehouse over Norway because it's more relevant to our nation. As Dan puts it, "Norway is a day old now"

These people should not be let anywhere near our news agenda and the sooner the rest of NI is brought down, the better

You're missing the point, I fear. The people you're talking about are living under law that makes taking the substance a crime. What SD and I are saying is that it's that system, and all that comes along with it, that's killing these users. In places where it's legalised, it's working brilliantly well. Deaths have been reduced to, last time I looked, absolute zero.

No, you're just saying something different than me. I'm saying their 'life' doesn't need to end, to be ruined by Heroin.

Legalising heroin is fucking stupid. Making it easier for people to take heroin is fucking stupid.

Heroin, itself, is the physical representation of stupid. You're doing something colossally stupid if you try it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, you're just saying something different than me.

Yes. What I'm saying is stupid, and what you're saying is working terrifically well. Sorry for my idiocy. I'm going to assume you've not really looked into it all that much, and you're going off gut instinct.

Yes. What I'm saying is stupid, and what you're saying is working terrifically well. Sorry for my idiocy. I'm going to assume you've not really looked into it all that much, and you're going off gut instinct.

I don't look into it, and I don't care to do so... Heroin is stupid. People who do heroin were stupid to start. "Working terrifically well"? If anything keeps JUST ONE PERSON from doing Heroin, then it works for me.

You put that poison in your veins and you deserve what you get, because it's your decision to, potentially, ruin your own life.

Legalising heroin is fucking stupid. Making it easier for people to take heroin is fucking stupid.

Sorry mate, but I can't agree. It's a fairly obvious fact that people are going to take heroin regardless of it's legality. By criminalising those people and not regulating the quality of their supply you are creating huge crime and health problems which cost society and the individuals concerned far more than if you were to allow, for instance, registered addicts access to a cheaper, cleaner supply via their doctor, who can also then help them to manage their problem. I don't think anyone would advocate it being available in the local corner shop, but the "war on drugs" clearly isn't working and the figures show that a more tolerant approach does work wherever it's been tried.

Sorry mate, but I can't agree. It's a fairly obvious fact that people are going to take heroin regardless of it's legality. By criminalising those people and not regulating the quality of their supply you are creating huge crime and health problems which cost society and the individuals concerned far more than if you were to allow, for instance, registered addicts access to a cheaper, cleaner supply via their doctor, who can also then help them to manage their problem. I don't think anyone would advocate it being available in the local corner shop, but the "war on drugs" clearly isn't working and the figures show that a more tolerant approach does work wherever it's been tried.

I don't know how to stop it, and I'm not trying to solve the problem, but everyone should be able to agree that Heroin is stupid.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't know how to stop it, and I'm not trying to solve the problem, but everyone should be able to agree that Heroin is stupid.

This is where we differ. I know how to stop addicts from dying in the numbers they are, and I am trying to solve the problem.

This is where we differ. I know how to stop addicts from dying in the numbers they are, and I am trying to solve the problem.

No, you've got a theory, that may be based on some research, but no one knows how to stop the addicts from dying in the numbers that they're dying, or they'd likely have implemented it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, you've got a theory, that may be based on some research, but no one knows how to stop the addicts from dying in the numbers that they're dying, or they'd likely have implemented it.

They have implemented it. It works. It has stopped them. It's not a theory, it's in action and working. This is the problem debating these issues with people who don't know much about the subject. Your argument is based on gut feelings, and a touch of bullishness.

They have implemented it. It works. It has stopped them. It's not a theory, it's in action and working. This is the problem debating these issues with people who don't know much about the subject. Your argument is based on gut feelings.

So, why are the smackheads dying still, if it's working a treat, and everything? Oh wait, cus it's only happening in small scale.

Edit: I just realized that I have absolutely zero empathy for junkies, and because of that, don't really care if it works or not. Keep discussing... I'm not going to bother.

Unrighteous having an absolute mare here.

Sometimes it's best to accept that people may know more than you about certain subjects. You might actually learn something then instead of appearing incredibly ignorant and stupid.