You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It really is 2 distinct films. The first film has some of the greatest dialogue ever committed to celluloid (R. Lee Ermey, who played Sgt. Hartman, apparently went on a 10 minute improved rant at Marines as part of his screen test, and the stuff in the movie is tame by comparison) and is very jarring in its depection of how Marines are dehumanised prior to battle. The second part is a visceral allegory of the futility of the Vietnam War with some superb set pieces. Great great work by Kubrick.

Now show me your war face.

It really is 2 distinct films. The first film has some of the greatest dialogue ever committed to celluloid (R. Lee Ermey, who played Sgt. Hartman, apparently went on a 10 minute improved rant at Marines as part of his screen test, and the stuff in the movie is tame by comparison) and is very jarring in its depection of how Marines are dehumanised prior to battle. The second part is a visceral allegory of the futility of the Vietnam War with some superb set pieces. Great great work by Kubrick.

Now show me your war face.

1) How is it a "jarring" depection (sic)?

2) How is it an allegory (visceral or otherwise)?

Have you just come across some words and decided to just lob them all into a post because they sounded good?

At the very least, look up "allegory", because a film that is actually about the Vietnam war is hardly a great "allegory" about...the Vietnam war.

1) How is it a "jarring" depection (sic)?

2) How is it an allegory (visceral or otherwise)?

Have you just come across some words and decided to just lob them all into a post because they sounded good?

At the very least, look up "allegory", because a film that is actually about the Vietnam war is hardly a great "allegory" about...the Vietnam war.

Of course I'm talking shite! What is your major malfunction?

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy fucking walrus-looking piece of shit! Get the fuck off of my obstacle! Get the fuck down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

Private Joker: [voice-over] My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the Great Homecoming Fuck Fantasy. I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short. I'm in a world of shit... yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid.

Guest TK-421
Of course I'm talking shite!

Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Kubrick's hit rate, or rather classic rate, is goddamn scary as he also helmed 2001, Spartacus and The Shining; all have inspired but not been bettered. We're lucky he was an anglophile and stayed here.

Why are we lucky he stayed here? He was a fucking recluse, it didn't matter where he lived.