You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we played 6 warm up games we would win a test series, if we played 2 we would lose it. The England team is the most talented out there at the moment but that doesn't always translate to all conditions. For an example look at the performance in Perth were we got battered on a very bouncy track but everywhere else we were miles superior than the Aussies.

Sadly with the pressure to fit ever more test matches into the schedule its getting harder for all sides to have a decent run of first class games in alien conditions before a series which loads the dice in favour of the home team.

This is the best England bowling unit I've seen in my lifetime, with real quality in depth; no Tremlett or Finn in this side.

Edit: Maybe the '05 ashes winning side was on a par.

You've kind of explained your own point. The strength in depth is what seperates this attack. Now we have the best spinner in the world and 6 good quickies.

Shame it will only be a three match series, the Saffers deserve a five match series, it will be a lot closer and more interesting than the series against the West Indies.

Yes, that is annoying. I think we have a very similar side to South Africa. Certainly the two most focussed sides in the world at the moment.

India have been a real disappointment, especially Dhoni's captaincy.

Fair enough. I`d think different but opinions and all that...

The next Ashes are in England right? You`ll win that. The one in Aus will be tricky. I cant imagine England keeping the Ashes 4 times in a row, given recent Ashes history. I dont know how far back I`d have to go to find the last time you`d won two series in a row in Oz, if at all. I think Australia might well do you in then if you hold on to Number 1 that long.

How about at ours or even Pakistan and SL? How`d you reckon you`d do?

India away is the biggest test out there for this England side, without a doubt for me. I reckon it's just too close to call at the moment.

The disappointing aspect about the cricket calendar is that by the time we play you there is no gurantee you will still have your big name batsmen still available.

I reckon we'll beat Sri Lanka and Pakistan, however pakistan won't be as difficult a test as it should be as the matches will be played in the UAE.

This is the best England bowling unit I've seen in my lifetime, with real quality in depth; no Tremlett or Finn in this side.

Edit: Maybe the '05 ashes winning side was on a par.

This unit beats the '05 version as we have a spinner who can actually spin the ball.

Take the spinner out and that '05 set of quicks were definately on a par with this set, as you say though the depth is the key here.

You can add Onions to those that can't get in the side too.

This unit beats the '05 version as we have a spinner who can actually spin the ball.

Take the spinner out and that '05 set of quicks were definately on a par with this set, as you say though the depth is the key here.

You can add Onions to those that can't get in the side too.

Ashley Giles performed better in the Ashes in 05 than Swanny has in this series. Giles got every frontline Aussie batsman out at some stage in the series, all the way up to Gilchrist batting at seven. Don't get me wrong, Swann is a far better bowler than Giles, but Giles made a real contribution to that superb win. Swann has not had his best series against India.

Ashley Giles performed better in the Ashes in 05 than Swanny has in this series. Giles got every frontline Aussie batsman out at some stage in the series, all the way up to Gilchrist batting at seven. Don't get me wrong, Swann is a far better bowler than Giles, but Giles made a real contribution to that superb win. Swann has not had his best series against India.

True, but the conditions have not been conducive to spin bowling - if the pitch will turn, Swann will always extract it.

To be fair Swann has pretty much done fuck all this series so hardly a fair comparison is it.

India are better at playing spin than anyone else though.

True, but the conditions have not been conducive to spin bowling - if the pitch will turn, Swann will always extract it.

To be fair Swann has pretty much done fuck all this series so hardly a fair comparison is it.

I'm not talking Swann down, I think he's great but just had a poor series by his standards. My point was more to highlight the positive and under estimated contribution that Giles made against that brilliant Aussie team in 2005.

I'm not talking Swann down, I think he's great but just had a poor series by his standards. My point was more to highlight the positive and under estimated contribution that Giles made against that brilliant Aussie team in 2005.

I din't think you were putting Swann down mate.

My original point was that Swann is a by far better bowler than Giles and that aspect means this is a better bowling unit than the '05 group.

I still stand by that.

EDIT: I guess you first quoted me ragarding my comment on Swann being able to actually spin the ball. Slightly harsh on Giles I'll admit. He had a good series in '05 (after the first test anyway) but he isn't anywhere near Swann.

I reckon the only chance of seeing Monty the sardarji is on the sub-continent. Cant see you going in with 2 spinners anywhere else with the lineup of quicks that you have unless Swann is hurt.

I think you are home to us next winter. I`ll be home next Dec and will be trying to get to a game. Hopefully Bombay gets a test.

To paraphrase Michael Vaughan, "Just pack your bags and fuck off home you utter spastics"

Zimbabwe would give us a better game than this. Its fucking embarrassing.

Agreed - The indian team can point to being undercooked and a long season World Cup, IPL, West Indies etc but this is a No.1 Test Match decider and frankly the lack of fight in India is absolutely staggering - frankly embarrassing for all UK based indians who were highly looking forward to a real heavyweight clash between two evenly matched teams on paper before the series started- frankly it has been a sham and frankly India dont deserve to be anywhere near the no.1 spot with such a poor show of attitude.

Behave lad and enjoy the fact that you are dominating the game. No need for the contempt given that England have taken some similar beatings not too long ago. What goes up, must come down ;)

The ODI`s will be a different story methinks

EDIT: That was for Jairzinho`s post. Some others posted while I was typing

Edited by Indian Red