You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct decision for England was made by Dhoni after being pressurised by the England management team in England which had no effect on his decision at all. It was the wrong decision in the end no matter how much you dress it up. You talk about challenging the umpire's authority when we've just seen 3 umpires come to the correct decision but be over-ridden by a deal behind closed doors after the event.

Basically, the rules of cricket are now abandoned if you claim to not understand them? or take advantage of the oppositions error of judgement?

If Dhoni truly believed that Bell was out then he would have stuck with his decision, just like Collingwood did against New Zealand and the Murali incident vs New Zealand.

If Dhoni truly believed that Bell was out then he would have stuck with his decision, just like Collingwood did against New Zealand and the Murali incident vs New Zealand.

For what it's worth, I think on both the other occassions the appeal should really have been withdrawn too.

It really isn't that simple. The pressures on Dhoni don't allow him to just make a decision based on what he truly believes.

Haha sporting. Get off yer fucking snooty high horse. Cricket to us is very similar to f00tb@11 to you. And spirit of cricket is utter bollocks imo. Its a tough game and there are two sides trying to win it. Bell was gone and he knew it. You dont blame anyone for being an idiot on the pitch. Should have accepted it and walked.

Have to agree with Indian red on this one. Bell even admitted that it was his mistake in the interview.

Errr he was out. The reason the appeal was withdrawn was due to the circumstances of the decision.

Just seen this a couple of hours ago and Bell fucked it up,he should have gone,no arguments.

Feel really sorry for Dhoni and India,I think they've lost any chance of winning this game because of that incident.

To be fair India's chance had long gone before the incident. They really need to invest in the bowling side of things. amazing the opposite applies to their neighbours. imagine a joint team.

England are the best team in the world at the moment. No question.

Just seen this a couple of hours ago and Bell fucked it up,he should have gone,no arguments.

Feel really sorry for Dhoni and India,I think they've lost any chance of winning this game because of that incident.

don't agree with that. Bell only scored an extra 20 runs. its hardly that he was on 5 and then made the 150+ he did.

Bell, Pietersen, Morgan & prior all played very well today but the Indian bowling attack is pretty average. Dangerous with the new ball, Kumar, Zahn & sreesanth are decent swing bowlers but when the ball starts to become old there lack of pace is apparent. Spin hasn't played a part at all yet in the 2 tests, even then Singh has bowled poorly. Mishra has to play next game.

Hopefully we can bat till lunch tomorrow and then the lead should be 450+.

don't agree with that. Bell only scored an extra 20 runs. its hardly that he was on 5 and then made the 150+ he did.

Bell, Pietersen, Morgan & prior all played very well today but the Indian bowling attack is pretty average. Dangerous with the new ball, Kumar, Zahn & sreesanth are decent swing bowlers but when the ball starts to become old there lack of pace is apparent. Spin hasn't played a part at all yet in the 2 tests, even then Singh has bowled poorly. Mishra has to play next game.

Hopefully we can bat till lunch tomorrow and then the lead should be 450+.

Its not the runs that have cost India its the pressure they were put under to reverse their appeal over Bell's dismissal.

It was obvious to see that it really affected them,even Boycott said it was like a practice game after that.

Its not the runs that have cost India its the pressure they were put under to reverse their appeal over Bell's dismissal.

It was obvious to see that it really affected them,even Boycott said it was like a practice game after that.

Well that reflects pretty poorly on the Indian team if that is the case. They could so easily have used it as motivation what with the fans booing them initially etc.

They were hopelessly outplayed all day and that incident had absolutely no affect on how the day panned out.

India are a great team and they are by no means finished in this series (they might not even lose this test match) but i'd expect a bit more fight from a team ranked number 1 in the world if i'm honest.

Look at England, up against the wall facing almost certain defeat but they dig in and come out fighting.

India could learn one or two things.

Well that reflects pretty poorly on the Indian team if that is the case. They could so easily have used it as motivation what with the fans booing them initially etc.

They were hopelessly outplayed all day and that incident had absolutely no affect on how the day panned out.

India are a great team and they are by no means finished in this series (they might not even lose this test match) but i'd expect a bit more fight from a team ranked number 1 in the world if i'm honest.

Look at England, up against the wall facing almost certain defeat but they dig in and come out fighting.

India could learn one or two things.

I just don't think its as easy as using it as a motivation,it was a shocking decision given against them in an already difficult situation.

I'm not saying it will make any difference to the actual result,just the small chance India had was taken away from them by poor officials and a bit of bullying by the England management.

I said earlier that I would never regard India as the world number one team due to their poor form outside India and this is another example,although I do feel sympathy for them in this case.

I don't feel sympathy for India although I do think England have come out of this looking pretty pathetic.

Could you imagine the answer they would have got if they had knocked on the aussie dressing room door at tea to ask if one of our batsmen who was correctly given out could kindly have another go please?

Two words, and it ryhmes with cough.

Judging by Holding's comments it might have been an even angrier response from that Windies team.

Can you imagine asking Joel Garner?

Holding is class and always talks sense, if you disagree with him you are normally wrong.

As for Garner, who in that side would you have asked?

I just don't think its as easy as using it as a motivation,it was a shocking decision given against them in an already difficult situation.

I'm not saying it will make any difference to the actual result,just the small chance India had was taken away from them by poor officials and a bit of bullying by the England management.

I said earlier that I would never regard India as the world number one team due to their poor form outside India and this is another example,although I do feel sympathy for them in this case.

Whilst I agree with your general point mate the bit I bolded is bollocks.

In my humble opinion of course.

Finally some sense on this thread. And for what its worth England have taken their chances and we have not so far this series. Your lads have played some brilliant cricket under pressure and fully deserve your strong position in this series. That being said, it was disgraceful of Bell to even send his coach/captain to our room and ask to withdraw the appeal. It is even more embarassing for me that my captain did not tell you to fuck off.

For years I have wanted us to be top dogs but its almost like we have an inferiority complex at times and go along with whatever we are told to do by the empire! And that is the position I was coming from. Anyways hopefully for the remainder of the series, we will talk about cricket (a lot of it is yet to be played, imo) rather than stuff like this. And before I am asked, I have played plenty of cricket and seen loads of good and bad things relating to the "spirit of the game"; same as football and prolly most sports really. Good and bad are relative terms however.

Finally some sense on this thread. And for what its worth England have taken their chances and we have not so far this series. Your lads have played some brilliant cricket under pressure and fully deserve your strong position in this series. That being said, it was disgraceful of Bell to even send his coach/captain to our room and ask to withdraw the appeal. It is even more embarassing for me that my captain did not tell you to fuck off.

For years I have wanted us to be top dogs but its almost like we have an inferiority complex at times and go along with whatever we are told to do by the empire! And that is the position I was coming from. Anyways hopefully for the remainder of the series, we will talk about cricket (a lot of it is yet to be played, imo) rather than stuff like this. And before I am asked, I have played plenty of cricket and seen loads of good and bad things relating to the "spirit of the game"; same as football and prolly most sports really. Good and bad are relative terms however.

Sense and shite there IR.

I really doubt Bell sent Flower and Strauss into your dressing room, that decision would have been made above him or certainly at a 'senior player level' where he would have only been a single voice.

Dhoni showed an area of weakness regarding the decision to withdraw the appeal. Whilst I applaud him for doing so, and he more than upheld the spirit of the game, I can't help but feel he felt pressurised to take that course because of the behaviour of Indian cricket as a whole in recent times.

He didn't want another political shitstorm on his plate to deal with IMHO.

As for that bullshit about doing as the empire tells you I don't know where to start. You are obviously a knolwedgeable chap and enjoy your cricket, I actually look forward to reading your posts but that is absolute fucking horse shit.

India rules the ICC and the cricketing calendar to the detriment of virtually every other test playing nation on the planet. This poor me attitude will get you no where fast, even if circumstances meant you got fucked over on this occasion.

First off there is a lot of difference between India the cricketing team and the BCCI. Dont mix the two together. Most folks I know have no time for the BCCI at all. Sharad Powar is probably the most corrupt person on the planet that I know of involved in sport and that includes a certain Sepp Blatter.

And you can fuck right off with the condescending poor me statements. The empire thing was slightly tongue in cheek and I have used similar comments before. I dont personally want to do you lot a favour at anything and never ask for one either. However, I do believe there are a lot of folks back home who`d bend over backwards to help you lot out.

The only time I went to a India England game in Bombay, our boys got twatted outside the gates trying to buy tickets to make way for the barmy army to enter. That and other things makes many lads similar to me think we take it from you lot almost like we are still in the pre independence servitude era. That is another reason why a certain Sourav Ganguly is a hero to many for what he did at Lords and why Gavaskar was pissed off today about us having to be the sportsmen playing in the spirit of the game all the time, whereas if the shoe was on the other foot, this would never have happened.

And that is not poor me shite, it just is what is and how I see things. Loadsa folks my age and my dad`s generation believe you lot have a superiority complex and we let you do what you want. Which is why I was pissed that Dhoni withdrew his appeal when requested to do so. And again BCCI and our team are two different entities. One we love, the other is an utterly corrupt body that is causing more damage to the game than it realizes.

First off there is a lot of difference between India the cricketing team and the BCCI. Dont mix the two together. Most folks I know have no time for the BCCI at all. Sharad Powar is probably the most corrupt person on the planet that I know of involved in sport and that includes a certain Sepp Blatter.

And you can fuck right off with the condescending poor me statements. The empire thing was slightly tongue in cheek and I have used similar comments before. I dont personally want to do you lot a favour at anything and never ask for one either. However, I do believe there are a lot of folks back home who`d bend over backwards to help you lot out.

The only time I went to a India England game in Bombay, our boys got twatted outside the gates trying to buy tickets to make way for the barmy army to enter. That and other things makes many lads similar to me think we take it from you lot almost like we are still in the pre independence servitude era. That is another reason why a certain Sourav Ganguly is a hero to many for what he did at Lords and why Gavaskar was pissed off today about us having to be the sportsmen playing in the spirit of the game all the time, whereas if the shoe was on the other foot, this would never have happened.

And that is not poor me shite, it just is what is and how I see things. Loadsa folks my age and my dad`s generation believe you lot have a superiority complex and we let you do what you want. Which is why I was pissed that Dhoni withdrew his appeal when requested to do so. And again BCCI and our team are two different entities. One we love, the other is an utterly corrupt body that is causing more damage to the game than it realizes.

I completely agree there is a difference between the national side and the BCCI, that doesn't meann the actions of the BCCI do not impact on the team and in this case the decision of Dhoni.

Poor me? Are you suggesting there is a test playing nation with more power or influence within the ICC than India. It is a 'poor me' attitude and it does a diservice to a great cricketing nation.

If your country still has twats that support British rule or don't want to upset their 'masters' that is your problem. Just as it is our problem we still have dickheads wanting the monarchy.

Why were you fucked over with the ticketing? Finances? Your own cricketing board? I'd look elsewhere before blaming your 'empirial rulers'.

I fully understand you are pissed of with Dhoni, you are right to be. He fucked up, but part of the reason he fucked up was the behaviour of your cricket board in recent times in my opinion.