You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No he doesn't. We're not trying to win the title.

We want him so we can qualify for the Champions league post-haste and sign better players.

A short-term fix for long-term gain.

Spot on. We aren't in the position were we can go out and compete for the top, top players. Our strategy has to be to try and improve on the squad/players we already have, get back in the top 4 and then try to bring in the more sought after players. There is no doubt in my mind that Downing is a vast improvement on the current wide players we have at the club.

Downing also had 29 caps, no memorable moment (if you don't count the inept ones) and certainly no goal. Both Walcott and Lennon had impressed on occasions playing for England.

And the reason Downing hadn't played for a Champions League team is because everyone that qualified had considered him no better than 2nd or 3rd option. Over the past decades, any Englishman with slightest display of class got snatched up pretty quickly by the rich boys.

England? Have a word. And why is Wenger trying to pinch him from under our noses for the same money if no top club could want him?

He might be a late bloomer but he's at his peak and he is what he is, which is a pretty good left winger, albeit not world class.

Downing is significantly better than Lennon, in my opinion. He's not even a footballer, he's a runner. Downing quite clearly isn't 'fucking shit'. He's decent enough, he's okay. He's just not a £20m player, in my opinion.

This is just daft. Lennon has been one of the key reasons why Spurs have left us in their wake. He's much better than Downing, who has never been at a top club. He's not good enough for the top 4 clubs.

you may or may not downing but C'MON he is better than lennon. lennon is the very definition of headless chicken as is walcott. brainless footballers who will more often run down a blind alley or kick the ball against a defenders legs then put decent service into the box.

Walcott is a brainless footballer eh?

Pity that he had less appearances in the league than Downing and yet somehow managed to score more goals and have more assists?

Yeah yeah he plays for a better side...... because he is a better footballer.

Walcott is a brainless footballer eh?

Pity that he had less appearances in the league than Downing and yet somehow managed to score more goals and have more assists?

Yeah yeah he plays for a better side...... because he is a better footballer.

you beat me to 'plays in a better team' punch.

2nd or 3rd option. And wait, didn't Villa officially deny that Arsenal made a bid?

How do you know what option he is. And you put stock in what clubs say in statements? You are coming across a bit naive there.

Next you will be telling us he wasn't photographed in a bar holding up a Liverpool scarf with Andy Carroll.

How do you know what option he is. And you put stock in what clubs say in statements? You are coming across a bit naive there.

I know because the interest surfaced after they were threatened with desertion from Fabregas and Nasri and that club was about to go into a full crisis mode, IOW, a desperate measure.

Naive eh? Official words are as credible as unverifiable rumours. Unlike some people, I don't pretend to be ITK.

Guest TK-421

Yes, and I always have done.

Players I've always rated highly:

• Jordan Henderson
  • Charlie Adam
  • Stewart Downing
  • Andy Carroll

Ad-hominem. Excellente.

I was quite pleased with it myself too. Did you just say excellent in a French accent?

It's not surrender by the way. I get bored and then my bad self takes over. I have tried asking for help but they say that unless I become a danger to others I have to manage in the community.

Edited by zigackly

Orgies.

Touché.

As for Downing, he's not worth £20M from what little I've seen on him. For that kind of money I'd expect someone with the ability to consistently beat a man with the ball at his feet.

He'll be an upgrade on what we've got, but that's it.

Oh, and anyone mentioning Downing in the same breath as Barnes need their fucking heads tested.

Touché.

As for Downing, he's not worth £20M from what little I've seen on him. For that kind of money I'd expect someone with the ability to consistently beat a man with the ball at his feet.

He'll be an upgrade on what we've got, but that's it.

Oh, and anyone mentioning Downing in the same breath as Barnes need their fucking heads tested.

the both have eyes, a nose and a mouth. both have legs and arms, they both in live in a house...

I can come up with more similarities if you like.

He has become a more consistent player over the past couple of years. Before that he had a lot of games where he was ineffectual, and a handful where he was a constant threat. Usually those games were at the Riverside against us! If Kenny and the club consider him a primary target then, the more I look at it, the more it seems as though Kenny wants Downing to provide the sort of quietly effective and consistent outlet he used to have at Blackburn with Jason Wilcox.

Exactley this ^^

I just logged back in, and I was gonna reply to this...

Really? Pray tell when the last time this brand of "simplest and most effective" football win anything?

Of courses, you woudn't give a fuck about the coeficients. Fits in well with modern day. Don't like the evidence? Deny it. You'd make a great tea-bagger here in the US.

But then I saw this...

Walcott >>> Downing, and the jury is still out, but it's arguably Lennon>Downing too.

...and I've decided that you obviously haven't got a brain between those massively sized ears of yours, so I'm not arsed about having a discussion with you. How can you talk about coefficients when you can't even spell the fucking word?

Fucking Code wannabe.

How do you like those coefficients?

I just logged back in, and I was gonna reply to this...

But then I saw this...

...and I've decided that you obviously haven't got a brain between those massively sized ears of yours, so I'm not arsed about having a discussion with you. How can you talk about coefficients when you can't even spell the fucking word?

Fucking Code wannabe.

How do you like those coefficients?

Another surrender hidden behind bluster accepted.