Quantcast
Best British Sitcom Ever? - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Best British Sitcom.  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

Reading Flying Pig's The Office thread, and whilst I love The Office, is it the best British sitcom of all time? Not for me.

Going to do a poll, no doubt I'll have missed some off so pick other if your option isn't there!

I need to have a think about it, I've narrowed my options down to Blackadder, Father Ted, Only fools and horses or Fawlty Towers.

Poll to follow shortly.

Fuck off am I voting in that. Impossible.

You either make your mind up and vote or send Paulie some Swedish sweets? Your choice.

I voted for Partridge.

Great choice. I obviously went for The Office but another inclusion could have been Early Doors, far better than something like Men Behaving Badly for example.

Very very tough choice. So much brilliance, a few I consider to be average and one in particular that I thought was shite. I went for Only Fools... in the end - ahead of Father Ted - but it's a close run thing.

Regardless of the result, its clear that UK comedy is fooking brilliant and has been for years, even going back to and beyond Morecambe and Wise/Two Ronnies etc..

So many laughs there. Porridge edged it for me. The writing was perfect and Ronnie Barker had the best delivery. Pure magic in that series from the off:

[YOUTUBE]4xDQ9Jb8Gws[/YOUTUBE]

Went for Partridge but it feels like i'm cheating on Fawlty towers.

I'm genuinely not a fan of Fawlty Towers. To me its mindly amusing but I was brought up on a anarchic comedy diet of the Young Ones etc.

I can't argue with FT credentials though.

I loved Father Ted and Black Books as I love Graham Linehans writing, but I can't look beyond Only Fools and Horses. Utterly brilliant with some of the best characters in sitcom history.

I loved Fawlty Towers also, but just feel Only Fools is a step up.

A nod also to one of my favourite comedies of the time, Filthy, Rich and Catflap. Loved those shows albeit only 6 episodes. It's no where hear one of the best, but I loved it.

• Upvote 1

Hancock's Half Hour would be my first choice but the peak years of Only Fools were hilarious and so well plotted. Unlike most sitcoms it actually got better when they began filming longer length episodes.