You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Bullshit this list. No Bottom but the fucking Vicar of Dibley and Dinnerladies makes it? I demand a recount. Radio four poll based on a 42 strong panel of 'comedy experts'.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/feck-father-ted-is-pipped-to-crown-of-best-ever-sitcom-38000238.html

20 greatest sitcoms ever

1. Fawlty Towers 

2. Father Ted 

3. I'm Alan Partridge 

4. Blackadder 

5. Dad's Army 

6. Only Fools and Horses  

7. Porridge 

8. The Royle Family 

9. Absolutely Fabulous

10. Dinnerladies

11. The Thick of it

12. The Office

13. Peep Show

14. The Vicar of Dibley

15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

16. The Young Ones

17. Gavin & Stacey

18. The Good Life

19. Detectorists

20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge, Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, The Thick of It, The Office, and Peep Show were all fucking brilliant. Porridge was decent but not clearly not better than The Thick of It, The Office and Peep Show. Could never get into Father Ted or The Royle Family. The rest weren't very good. Gavin & Stacey and Dinnerladies...fucking hell.

Some of those shows have aged badly and shouldn’t be in the top 20.

Fawlty Towers is still as funny now as it was when it was first released but Dad’s Army, Reginald Perrin, The Good Life and Likely Lads aren’t very good to watch now imo.

Goes without saying Vicar of Dibley, Dinnerladies and Gavin and Stacey shouldn’t be in it. Wasn’t keen on Absolutely Fabulous either.

Detectorists is a weird one. I loved it, and Simon and Garfunkel are great characters in it, but top 20 sitcoms of all time? Not for me.

Red Dwarf, Bottom and Phoenix Nights all worthy of a place in the top 20. Black books and Friday night dinner are boss too.

UK Gold are currently showing Fawlty Towers...(yes again) so I was watching The Psychiatrist last night it's over 40 years old but is still incredibly laugh out loud funny, every episode is just genius as is every character in it.

There's been lots of great British sitcoms that have been mentioned on here but Fawlty Towers is head and shoulders above them all it's no wonder so many have it as number one

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Fawlty Towers is still as funny now as it was when it was first released but Dad’s Army, Reginald Perrin, The Good Life and Likely Lads aren’t very good to watch now imo.

Goes without saying Vicar of Dibley, Dinnerladies and Gavin and Stacey shouldn’t be in it. Wasn’t keen on Absolutely Fabulous either.

Detectorists is a weird one. I loved it, and Simon and Garfunkel are great characters in it, but top 20 sitcoms of all time? Not for me.

Red Dwarf, Bottom and Phoenix Nights all worthy of a place in the top 20. Black books and Friday night dinner are boss too.

I think Dad's Army is still brilliant myself, agree with you on the others though.

Maitre'd: The chef does a very good red mullet.

Eddie:    Oh really?! Well he does a very good Leonard Rossiter, don't you?

Richie:   Oh... Well...

Eddie:    Go on!

Richie:   No, no...

Eddie:    Go on!

Richie:   Oh, all right! It is brilliant! Right. Everybody shut up, shut up! All of you, shut up!

You! You! Shut it! Now! All right?! 
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Does Friday Night Dinner get good? I switched off after about 10 minutes of the first episode, found it excruciatingly unfunny.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No Early Doors? Better than The Royle Family for me. Dinnerladies? Absolutely Fabulous? Gavin and Stacey? Get to fuck out of it!

Gavin and Stacey that cunt James Corden on the world so should go in the same bin and Mrs Brown's boys