You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

• 2 months later...

I suppose everything that was ever any good and/or popular gets revived in some way eventually, but very rarely with successful results:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-08-23/a-new-series-of-blackadder-is-on-the-cards-says-tony-robinson

A new series of Blackadder is “on the cards” says Tony Robinson

Could Blackadder return from the dead in a new series?

When the BBC comedy finished in 1989 with the apparent death of the cast in the trenches of the First World War there has been the occasional reunion - but no series.

But now Tony Robinson, the Time Team presenter who played the loveable factotum Baldrick, has revealed that a new series of the comedy written by Ben Elton and Richard Curtis is a distinct possibility.

“I do think a new series of Blackadder is on the cards,” the 69-year-old told The S*n. “I have spoken to virtually all the cast about this now.”

He joked that one sticking point could be the huge pay demands of Hugh Laurie, the star of US drama House.

“The only problem is Hugh’s fee. He’s a huge star now — or so he’d like to think.”

He added:  “Expectations for a new series will be high because people not only remember the original, they remember who they were when it was on. It’s a big danger."

When asked by RadioTimes.com recently about the show's revival, Robinson appeared more equivocal. 

"So do I miss comedy?," he said in an interview to publicise his new Channel 4 show Time Crashers. "I don’t know. Journalists often ask if there’s going to be another series of Blackadder, and how does anyone know that? That’s up to the people who run channels, and not performers. But when they say that, I guess I have a renewed affection for how we all were in those days. But it was in those days, rather than these days."

The cast returned in Blackadder Black & Forth in 2000 – but this skit which saw Rowan Atkinson’s Edmund Blackadder explore British history in a time machine was a one-off show made for the launch of the ill-fated Millennium Dome.

Atkinson also revived the character on stage at a charity event for the Prince’s Trust in 2012, imagining the dastardly creation as a greedy banker. 

The BBC was unable to comment at the time of publication.

Only Fools & Horses, for me.

Watched them countless times and still find them just as funny as I did the first time I watched them. So many episodes have me in stitches. I wasn't a huge fan of most of the episodes with Grandad. I thought it massively picked up when Uncle Albert came into it.

Love quite a few British Sitcoms in that list, though. Not many classics anymore. 'The Inbetweeners' was probably the first one in a while I loved.

• 3 years later...

Bullshit this list. No Bottom but the fucking Vicar of Dibley and Dinnerladies makes it? I demand a recount. Radio four poll based on a 42 strong panel of 'comedy experts'.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/feck-father-ted-is-pipped-to-crown-of-best-ever-sitcom-38000238.html

20 greatest sitcoms ever

1. Fawlty Towers

2. Father Ted

3. I'm Alan Partridge

4. Blackadder

5. Dad's Army

6. Only Fools and Horses

7. Porridge

8. The Royle Family

9. Absolutely Fabulous

10. Dinnerladies

11. The Thick of it

12. The Office

13. Peep Show

14. The Vicar of Dibley

15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

16. The Young Ones

17. Gavin & Stacey

18. The Good Life

19. Detectorists

20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

40 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Bullshit this list. No Bottom but the fucking Vicar of Dibley and Dinnerladies makes it? I demand a recount. Radio four poll based on a 42 strong panel of 'comedy experts'.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/feck-father-ted-is-pipped-to-crown-of-best-ever-sitcom-38000238.html

20 greatest sitcoms ever

1. Fawlty Towers

2. Father Ted

3. I'm Alan Partridge

4. Blackadder

5. Dad's Army

6. Only Fools and Horses

7. Porridge

8. The Royle Family

9. Absolutely Fabulous

10. Dinnerladies

11. The Thick of it

12. The Office

13. Peep Show

14. The Vicar of Dibley

15. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

16. The Young Ones

17. Gavin & Stacey

18. The Good Life

19. Detectorists

20. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

Gavin & Stacey  WTF????

• Upvote 2