You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

51 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Brass, stands out thats not on the list, however, Soap, Newheart, Fraser, Cheers, Taxi, MASH and Married with Children, to name but a few, are all on my great tv show list, sadly, somewhere in and around  84', the yanks just got better at it. 

I hope, Operation Good Guys gets a mention somewhere along the way.  

Operation Good Guys was brilliant. Love,Honour and Obey was the film version.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

I went for Porridge as Barker and Beckindale were brilliant. So easily could have gone for Blackadder or Fawlty Towers though. 

Porridge had strength in depth. Even the characters who only appeared in a few episodes were great actors or sitcom legends - Peter Vaughan, David Jason, Sam Kelly, Philip Madoc, Dudley Sutton, etc.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Porridge had strength in depth. Even the characters who only appeared in a few episodes were great actors or sitcom legends - Peter Vaughan, David Jason, Sam Kelly, Philip Madoc, Dudley Sutton, etc.

Yes even watched now it’s brilliant. I often see them on ‘Gold’ and I never tire of them.

• Upvote 1

On 13/04/2019 at 21:19, Chip Butty said:

Brass, stands out thats not on the list, however, Soap, Newheart, Fraser, Cheers, Taxi, MASH and Married with Children, to name but a few, are all on my great tv show list, sadly, somewhere in and around  84', the yanks just got better at it. 

I hope, Operation Good Guys gets a mention somewhere along the way.  

Wow, the Yanks got better at it?  All sorts of wrong there. MASH, Larry Sanders and Curb, I'll give you.  Everything else on your list pales in comparison with the best of UK comedy.  Married With Children, in particular, was dreck.  

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The Larry Sanders Show is probably the best US sitcom for me, Clive. Still remember my old man telling me he thought it was rubbish, because his interviews weren't very good.

It's Gary Shandling was very funny too. Talented man.

• Upvote 2

There are loads of boss US sitcoms, wouldn’t have Happy Days anywhere near the top for me personally. I’d say UK had the best sitcoms up until the mid 90s when it started to edge towards US ones.

Frasier and It’s always sunny are the best two US ones for me. Curb, Seinfeld and Cheers are also top tier. 

The American Office, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Silicon Valley, Veep, Malcolm in the middle, Scrubs, Vice Principls and Arrested Development are also varying degrees of good.

Community and The League are two of my personal favourites and Stig is right about Friends. The early seasons are very good but it’s been overplayed way too much nowadays. 

If you’re including animated ones as well then obviously The Simpson’s is a match for any sitcom UK or US and South Park, , Archer and Rick and Morty are boss as well.

The real genius of US sitcoms is keeping the quality going over so many seasons. Frasier alone had over 200 episodes.