You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Stone Roses Song

Sugar Ape

Best Stone Roses Song  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stone Roses Song

• I wanna be adored
    • She bangs the drums
    • Waterfall
    • Don't stop
    • Bye bye bad man
    • Elizabeth my dear
    • ( Song for my ) Sugar spun sister
    • Made of stone
    • Shoot you down
    • This is the one
    • I am the resurrection
    • Fools gold
    • Elephant stone
    • Going down
    • Mersey paradise
    • Where angels play
    • Sally Cinnamon
    • Love spreads
    • Ten storey love song
    • Begging you
    • Other - please state

This is fucking brilliant:

[YOUTUBE]3DYhE-oOwbQ[/YOUTUBE]

But this is my favourite (and one of my favourite ever songs) and doesn't get any better than this:

[YOUTUBE]YgfQ9G3vi-8[/YOUTUBE]

If I was a boxer or played darts professionally, this is the fucking tune I'd be walking in to.

The Second Coming is the most underated album ever made.

And this is coming from someone that loves all their earlier stuff.

So voted for other.

I think of the Stone Roses as the comedy genius equivalent of Fawlty Towers. Not may episodes in total, but everyone of them absolutely fantastic.

Those two songs perfectly encapsulate the Roses for me: the first sounds like it was influenced by a million different things and yet could only have been made by them; it's genius. The second just sounds like formulaic, middle of the road rock music. I sincerely hope they can write like they did on their genius first album again, but I'm really not holding my breath.

All opinions, by the way - I'm not trying to piss on your chips; I just wish they'd split after the first record and never reformed (unless of course they do go on to create something worthy of that first classic album). That said, I suppose it'll be great for people who weren't lucky enough to see them live the first time around to have the chance to do so this time. They are/were a truly great band (even if Ian Brown's voice was always their Achilles' heel when not in the studio).

Those two songs perfectly encapsulate the Roses for me: the first sounds like it was influenced by a million different things and yet could only have been made by them; it's genius. The second just sounds like formulaic, middle of the road rock music. I sincerely hope they can write like they did on their genius first album again, but I'm really not holding my breath.

All opinions, by the way - I'm not trying to piss on your chips; I just wish they'd split after the first record and never reformed (unless of course they do go on to create something worthy of that first classic album). That said, I suppose it'll be great for people who weren't lucky enough to see them live the first time around to have the chance to do so this time. They are/were a truly great band (even if Ian Brown's voice was always their Achilles' heel when not in the studio).

I agree completely Paul, I'm surprised how many people are talking up the second album. Especially when you have the first album as a reference point of what they are capable of.

The second coming is decent, but nothing special in my opinion. I'm made up they are gigging again as I was too young to see them first time around, but I would be perfectly happy if they just toured their old songs and didn't make no new material.

When an album is so perfect as their first, it's very hard to match, especially 5 or more years later. I think the pressure on any artist to produce match or even better one of the greatest albums ever made is just too great. You could say the same about Primal Scream and Screamadelica, but they've been a lot more prolific than the Roses.

Have to agree with you though. Should have split after the first album.

No way I'd pay to go to see them now. Seen them live a few times. It was hit and miss outside a studio 20 years ago. I hate to imagine the state of Ian Brown's voice now.

It's all just brilliant. Second Coming is one of those albums that you need to listen to from Start to finish. As soon as the 4-and-a-half minute intro kicks in to Breaking Into Heaven" I want to hear the whole album. They're aren't many of them about.

Anyway... voting 'other': Tightrope. No, wait... voting I Am The Resurrection, for the outro.

When Second Coming came out i bought it on cassette as that's what i had in my car at the time. Still have it now and it's had been played to death. I finally got round to buying the CD which came in the post today. I could never understand the backlash it received and still gets now; maybe everyone wanted a carbon copy of their self titled album but as a stand alone album it's great.

This is fucking brilliant:

[YOUTUBE]3DYhE-oOwbQ[/YOUTUBE]

But this is my favourite (and one of my favourite ever songs) and doesn't get any better than this:

[YOUTUBE]YgfQ9G3vi-8[/YOUTUBE]

If I was a boxer or played darts professionally, this is the fucking tune I'd be walking in to.

The Second Coming is the most underated album ever made.

And this is coming from someone that loves all their earlier stuff.

So voted for other.

I think of the Stone Roses as the comedy genius equivalent of Fawlty Towers. Not may episodes in total, but everyone of them absolutely fantastic.

Very much this.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how nobody rates Driving South as a song. It's sex in musical form. Having said that, I think One Love just about shades it IMO.