You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite guitar solos.

moof

Sultans of swing

[YOUTUBE]cK7q2RI2zzg[/YOUTUBE]

C. Numb

[YOUTUBE]bDC3ade3JxU[/YOUTUBE]

shine on

[YOUTUBE]bShX-aIZXW8[/YOUTUBE]

Altitudes

[YOUTUBE]1wFoSbjXB68[/YOUTUBE]

Perpetual burn

[YOUTUBE]5qCQLyb0-mI[/YOUTUBE]

Tender Surrender

[YOUTUBE]Yw74sDWPH7U[/YOUTUBE]

A load of Jimi solos

[YOUTUBE]V-jmizhsSPs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]z_lwocmL9dQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2UkvsoqnQ2I[/YOUTUBE]

and it wouldnt be right not too have BB King and Duane Allman

[YOUTUBE]pV8RoNePzfI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MpRIYi721WE[/YOUTUBE]

Ah, guitar solos. To some the confirmed work of the devil himself. More usual than not they are self-indulgent 8 bar fillers that go nowhere and do nothing. And I say this as a confirmed AC/DC lover.

I know it's an unforgiveable cliche, but I love the Stairway to Heaven first solo when it picks up around the 6 minute mark when the lazy drum roll kind of makes the tune fall into the solo which then turns it into this huge beast of a song.

[YOUTUBE]lKg4g9zMeHI[/YOUTUBE]

Mostly solos are something for musos to admire (look at the finger picking there!) but do they add anything to the dynamic of a song? It has to go somewhere rather than just fill the bars.

Funnily enough, even in a world of Jimi Hendrix / Stevie Vai / Jimmy Page etc, I think the solo that actually enhances a song best is Edge's solo in The Fly.

[YOUTUBE]SlXA4Xkodaw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

From about 3 mins.

Mostly solos are something for musos to admire (look at the finger picking there!) but do they add anything to the dynamic of a song? It has to go somewhere rather than just fill the bars.

An excellent point. Though it must be said, a very good solo is like the orgasm of the song. And everybody knows the orgasm is always the best bit.

Just take Stairway to heaven or Comfortably Numb. The solo is where the out pour of emotion comes from. It's a beautiful thing!

Great choices guys

Well, so early into the thread and you've already nailed it - Gilmour's 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb is, for me at least, the greatest guitar solo ever. Especially the live Pulse version. Just incredible.

However, my favourite ever guitarist, and one of the most underrated / unknown is Rocky George, ex-Suicidal.

A few of my favourite Rocky George moments are from "We Call This Mutha Revenge". Just listen to the guitar interplay between Rocky and ST rhythm guitarist Mike Clark :

[YOUTUBE]pDv2z-SJ1P8[/YOUTUBE]

Rocky's solo right right at the death / fade out of "The Feelings Back" is equally as sensational :

[YOUTUBE]6rqkNfkNWdw[/YOUTUBE]

And talk about subtle, Rocky's solo in the middle (about 3:10 in) of "Love vs Loneliness" is sublime. Jaw dropping stuff.

[YOUTUBE]8WNzMvczURY[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta say though Moof, I'm a fully fledged Clark / Pleasants convert. Just the perfect crazed cholo combo.

Guest The Chimp

If you've never heard this and this is the first time, I envy you. Simply wonderful guitar playing from arguably the best out there (imho).

[YOUTUBE]IKGn2lMDYAA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

You've got to have some Yngwie when talking about guitar solos surely?

[YOUTUBE]Zl81Mq4llZg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

A great song and probably my fave Dave Gilmour solo.

[YOUTUBE]nlJWis5wH54[/YOUTUBE]

Not everyone's cup of tea but I have a soft spot for Vinnie and his shredding. In fact I just absolutely love this album. Robert Fleischman has a great voice I reckon. Make sure you turn this one up.

[YOUTUBE]BOHxRMNd99g[/YOUTUBE]

Someone else posted this a whilst back. Great solo from the Purple one.

[YOUTUBE]DWvzTYlHpqU&playnext=1&list=PL10FE6A43E1F7186F[/YOUTUBE]

Edit. Someone is surely going to post some Paul Gilbert stuff?

Well, so early into the thread and you've already nailed it - Gilmour's 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb is, for me at least, the greatest guitar solo ever. Especially the live Pulse version. Just incredible.

However, my favourite ever guitarist, and one of the most underrated / unknown is Rocky George, ex-Suicidal.

A few of my favourite Rocky George moments are from "We Call This Mutha Revenge". Just listen to the guitar interplay between Rocky and ST rhythm guitarist Mike Clark :

[YOUTUBE]pDv2z-SJ1P8[/YOUTUBE]

Rocky's solo right right at the death / fade out of "The Feelings Back" is equally as sensational :

[YOUTUBE]6rqkNfkNWdw[/YOUTUBE]

And talk about subtle, Rocky's solo in the middle (about 3:10 in) of "Love vs Loneliness" is sublime. Jaw dropping stuff.

[YOUTUBE]8WNzMvczURY[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta say though Moof, I'm a fully fledged Clark / Pleasants convert. Just the perfect crazed cholo combo.

I'm with you on Clark/Pleasants mate, they seem to have a good rapport. Pleased Rocky's with Fishbone too, one of my faves back in the day. Haven't been following them recently mind...

Guest The Chimp

That's great that - really enjoyed it. Repped!

Guest The Chimp

[YOUTUBE]b8iKgIOwV2c[/YOUTUBE]

Angus' solo here has to be up there?

[YOUTUBE]xWCQ8CAKNtY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]